Go Bottom Go Bottom

Agracat 2920 JM254 4WD problem

View my Photos
mscpilot
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-10          117688

Recently I took my tractor out of 4WD a into 2WD and now I am unable to get it back into 4WD. Nothing seemd to work. Does anyone have any ideas that might help?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-10          117690

How many hours on the tractor? This is not unusual for new Jinmas, and for owners that are new to tractors in general. Both take some breaking in. My JM254 only wanted to shift back ond forth between 2wd and 4wd while the tractor was moving. Eventually I learned how to do it when the tractor was parked as well. Standing alongside the left side (as viewed from the operator seat) I put my right hand on the 2wd/4wd lever, and my left hand on the left front tire. I rocked the tire back and forth while applying pressure on the lever. Eventually, things started meshing better - and no undue pressures or techniques were required.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
mscpilot

2005-10-10          117691

Greg, I will try this. My tractor has about 100 hrs total time. I tried moving it back and forth with the clutch thinking it just isn't catching but no luck. I will try your idea in the morning.

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-10          117695

There's no mechanical relationship between the clutch and the 2wd/4wd select lever. Feel free to shift on the fly, no clutch required. Might not hurt to reduce throttle while shifting - then resume - just to get used to the procedure.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
mscpilot

2005-10-11          117718

I tried both your suggestions this morning but no luck. Is there a linkage that could have broken that I can check? This is wierd.

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-10-11          117719

Inside the housing, there are spring-loaded ball bearings that hold the shaft in place. But since you didn't describe any noise or other symptoms associated with this issue, I think it's premature to go there just yet. Try rocking the front tire back and forth again - this time with the front end off the ground an inch or so. http://johnstractor.homestead.com/files/TransferCase.jpg and http://johnstractor.homestead.com/files/DriveGear.jpg might help

//greg// ....

View my Photos
affordable

2005-10-11          117742

Spray some WD-40 where the shaft that the handle goes on comes out of the creeper gear,it will dry out and get very stiff,also check the oil in the creeper assembly.This fix's it most of the time

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales ....

View my Photos
mscpilot

2005-10-11          117752

Greg and Tommy, Thanks so much, With Tommy Help today I started in to the drive shaft and with hope I will be able to discover the trouble tomorrow morning. I am having trouble moving the spring loaded shaft back but at Tommy suggestion I will find a way tomorrow. Work called on account of rain. Thanks guys ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login