lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-05          127250

TRY THESE SOURCES FOR FREE FILL DIRT

1* Swimming pool companies
2* cemeteries
3* Landscapers
4* Lawn Care companies
5* Home builders and excavators digging out basements and the like.
6* State County and City road and street departments cleaning out road ditches.
7* Construction sites: Or anywhere you see grading or digging going on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Can anybody add anymore places to the list ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

SOURCES FOR FREE FILL DIRT

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-05          127252

"TRY THESE SOURCES FOR FREE FILL DIRT

2* cemeteries"

Are you serious? Besides, what's the displacement for a regular casket? How many burials would you need to fill up a dumptruck with dirt? What about people who opt for gravehills - then there's no extra soil left over.

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-05          127253

Recycling center. They normally compost down yard waste and leaves from the city. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-05          127255

What's the displacement for a regular casket?
===============================
It's not the casket it's the vault that takes up the room. I hear that takes up 1/3 of the space thus leaving 2/3 of the dirt.

==========
They've tried digging the hole deeper so they could get all of the dirt back into the hole but it didn't work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~ ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-05          127256

I see. Here I go, learned something... ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-05          127257

I see. Here I go, learned something...
I think I stated it wrong. If the vault took up one-third of the space it would then take 2/3 of the dirt to fill the hole thereby leaving 1/3 of the dirt left over. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-05          127272

Over the past few years I have gotten calls from uninformed homeowners telling me they wanted me to go haul some "free fill dirt" that they saw advertised around town. You would be amazed at the their audacity and indignance when I tell them that yes, the dirt is free---the hauling at $75 an hour is not. Most just don't get it.
The other thing that is not "free" is loading at $2 a yard--this gets them ticked off too when they show up with their neighbor's borrowed truck. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-04-05          127278

earthworks

you are 100% correct when I had my pond dug i could not give the dirt away. What is wrong with it? It cost to much to haul. It they build something here they get the dirt from next door. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-05          127286

You would be amazed at the their audacity and indigence when I tell them that yes, the dirt is free---the hauling at $75 an hour is not. Most just don't get it.
The other thing that is not "free" is loading at $2 a yard--this gets them ticked off too when they show up with their neighbor's borrowed truck.

True -->> but isn't it cheeper to pay for the truck and the loading than it is to pay for the truck dirt and loading?
==========~~~~~~~~~~~~:::::::::::::::::::
What is wrong with it? It cost to much to haul.

Why would it cost more to hall than other dirt?

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-06          127293

Most of the farms in our township would never give up their dirt. Our elevation is pretty low and the ground water table is high, so between floods and ground water, dirt is about the price of gold around here - no such thing as free dirt. In fact, by township regulations, no dirt can leave the township - it has to be sold within. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-06          127296

No dirt can leave the township.
==========
::::::::::::::::::::
An interesting situation I've never encountered before.
~~~~~~~~~~
I was telling my brother the other nite maybe I ought to buy some cheep hill side and holler
acreage close by for fill dirt and when I get it graded off sell the improved property for home sites.
======
Parts of 3 of the hills of my neighborhood are in our local K. Mart Lowes and Wall Mart parking lots.
One of the hills is a little over a mile down the road from me another is less than a mile down the road and the 3Rd one is from the big hill across the road in front of my place.

``````````
MY FIRST CAR http://chevy.tocmp.com/chevyscrapbook/files/kamp50.jpg
OUR FIRST CAR http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/chev6003.htm
------

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-06          127297

sounds like a plan. I think it'd be cheaper to load up the hill side with dynamite and level it that way.

... and that's why I'm not a construction engineer. ....

View my Photos
HuckMeat

2006-04-06          127302

With fuel prices the way they are, I'm paying my excavator in a couple of weeks to take one of his loaders and dig a small pond from the lower end of my lot and shuttle the dirt (in the loader) to the high side, which is where my house is, surrounded by rock. Going to try to get 6-8" over the rocks and grow a little grass.

Paying to bring in the loader and run it is cheaper than paying for the dirt, then paying to truck it in. Topsoil here sells for ~$25.00 per yard, plus delivery. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-06          127313

Top soil here sells for ~$25.00 per yard, plus delivery.
==========
Then I'd say the 30 yards I got for $0.oo per yard with free delivery and loading was a good deal.
::::::::::::::::::::

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-04-06          127321

With fuel prices the way they are, I'm paying my excavator in a couple of weeks to take one of his loaders and dig a small pond from the lower end of my lot
----------------------------------------------------------

And this is the reason I bought a tractor with a fel. The movers and haulers wanted $40,000 to dig the pond, dock, deck, sea walls, and associated work. On a deal I got the pond dug for $1,100 and a $9,000 tractor to do the rest. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-04-06          127328

At the land fill I work at we actually have our own quarry's. One slate and two clay. I ask why ant they said at $200 a tri axle load this was a better value. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-06          127334

Take your tractor and go dig some
Basements
Swimming pools
Cisterns
Septic tank holes
Small ponds and watering holes

And Keep the dirt

========== ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-04-06          127335

IBROWN:True -->> but isn't it cheeper to pay for the truck and the loading than it is to pay for the truck dirt and loading?
==========~~~~~~~~~~~~:::::::::::::::::::
What is wrong with it? It cost to much to haul.

Why would it cost more to hall than other dirt?

(I have posted this info before and there will be posts from haulers and dirt dealers saying that I'm full of crap. I know what I have witnessed and I too have been short-loaded as a contractor by haulers who WERE friends.)

That's what I asked and my buddy grins as he answers: At least in our area, it's usually the cheap developers/builders who don't want to pay $2 per yard to get rid of it (they probably paid their brother-in-law to dig the basement). Most haulers are the excavators in my area. They are paid by the respectable developer $2 a yard to move it, and charge another $2 to the end user for the dirt so they net $4 a yard profit (a so-called 30 yard truck may only legally be able haul 22-24 yards max.---I'll get to short-loading later). Since the cheap developer who was "giving" dirt away because he wouldn't pay to get rid of it was trying to save a buck (actually $2), the hauler feels he's being ripped off and needs that other $2. So when a hauler approaches someone who needs, say 6000 yards of backfill in his "30 yard" truck he's hoping to make $24,000 at the high end based on what he tells the homeowner end user "200 truck loads at $4 per yard". But wait there's more...he's really only going to deliver 200 loads at 24 yards max each or 4,800 yards not 6,000. So he's charging $24,000 for actually 4,800 yards for which the builder paid him $9600 and the end user ends up paying $5 not $4 a yard----and still gets shorted 1200 yards. Most times the homeowner winds up ordering and paying for another thousand yards which is actually 800 yards. I've explained this argument to my friends building new homes 'til I'm blue in the face and all they understand is they think they're only paying a dollar more a yard---not so when you're shorted to begin with. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-04-06          127337

fill dirt here is $55 a load (18yd truck), $75 if you want top soil. The top soil is full of nut grass. What a nice suprise. You can go with a shovel and get all you want for nothing so have at it. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-04-06          127338

SG8: I'm from the Detroit area but working in Mississippi cleaning up Katrina for the past 6 months. I'm curious: What is the average age and condition of the dump trucks in your immediate area?
Back home, they are mostly late '90's and up hence the high cost of product (the DOT pretty much targets any older looking trucks so it's not worth getting ticketed for any used truck with a problem). Here in Miss. on the coast a 10 yard load of sand is $100 and people are complaining. Black sand mined from river beds here also called sandy loam top soil back home goes for $75 for 9 yards. The trucks here are much older and in poor condition (okay, really bad). Out-of-staters are coming in with new $130,000 Macks and finding they can't afford to literally make a few dollars a load. Sand going for $100 costs $40 at the pit. 7 years ago when I was hauling topsoil it cost me $50 for 5 yards (yeah, a real 5 yards) and I would get $130, but I had about a $55,000 investment I had to pay for too. That's 687 loads to pay for the truck equipment--with no profit. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2006-04-07          127346

Contractor here looking for a place to get rid of excavation material probably 20-30 20ton loads. Will haul no charge reasonable distance. Just sign this aggrement.

We have quoted the new back fill for the new drug store going in.

The free fill is from a old gas station. Where did yours come from? Any time you get a anti-freeze or petroleum containaminated fill you have a serious problem. Know your source. Nothing quite like a ditch that is being cleaned where a car or truck went in a ruptured the fuel tank or oil pan.

When we build roads locals ask for the waste, it goes there if it is convienent. But if someone will pay for it it goes there. At $3.00 gallon for fuel it does not take long to do the math.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-04-08          127408

Good point Harvey about contamination! In the Detroit area there have been numerous times contaminated soil from old gas stations was delivered "free", and another time about 20,000 yards of asbestos-contaminated soil was delivered "free" just down the street from me. The guy that was interviewed on TV about it was the fired truck driver who told his boss stop hauling or he will report it. He stood next to about a half-bushel of asbestos pipe covering on top of a pile. Sometimes there are so many guys involved that it is hard to go after them to recover, because once it's on your lot--it's yours. Right after this happened I got a call from commercail insurance carrier asking me how much and where do I get and deliver my fill dirt. I told them I have others haul it and the customer deals directly with the hauler so I'm not involved. That was good enough for them! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login