Go Bottom Go Bottom

What Brand Should I Buy

View my Photos
lpdcac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-24          44159

I've never owned or used a finish mower but now I'm leaning in that direction in an effort to get better cutting results in one of our pastures and also (maybe) to replace a Scotts lawn tractor. My question is what brand of mower represents good value for the money?

Here's what we've got. This 5 acre pasture is mostly flat with a couple of ridges and low areas. There're a couple of low rock outcrops, almost flush to the ground, that I haven't gotten rid of yet (but plan to work on this winter). There are quite a few trees (She Who Must Be Obeyed won't agree to cutting and thinning them out) to cut around so manuverability is important. The 3-acre "lawn" around the house is flat with trees. No rocks. We'll be mowing 3-6" high. The tractor is a TC33D w/turf tires. I'm thinking a 3ph mower might be better than a tag-along for backing into corners.

Area dealers (including an auction yard) sell Rhino, Leinbach, Woods, Sitrex (Italian brand), King Kutter, and Howse mowers. I'm not against going out-of-area to pick up a good deal but will need reliable access to parts as this sandy soil is death on blades.

So, given all that, what's my best option for a good, reliable mower at a reasonable price?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

What Brand Should I Buy

View my Photos
blue is good

2002-10-24          44161

I have the same tractor as u have.I went though the same thing what mower to by.Was realy wanting the 72in belly mower,but when it came down to paying the money i went with the 72in king kutter.I am very happy with it but this is the only 3ph mower i have ever used.I also have a 5ft king cutter tiller both i think are made like a tank. ....

What Brand Should I Buy

View my Photos
TC29 in Wa.

2002-10-26          44247

I have a three acre yard here in Western Washington. And as long as its kept mowed routinely its looks as good as any other yard planted with a good quality premium seed mix. However its simply a well maintained former dairy pasture. Its taken about 5 years to obtain this look, but I'm very satisfied with it now.

The first year I bush hogged it often to keep the weeds from getting a new start. The next couple of years I mowed with a 72" flail mower to mulch the existing grasses to a 3" height. Also added weed and feed every spring and fall.

Last April I purchased a new 72" First Choice, rear discharge, 3pt hitch mount mower. now it takes a little over three hours, once a week to keep mowed. I'm using a New Holland TC29 with no problems.

One hint though, if you have any wet areas, I would try to get them drained as many pasture grasses grow high and fast in wet areas. And can get away from your ability to mow them short enough before you get around to it. ....

What Brand Should I Buy

View my Photos
Todd-AgEquip

2002-12-17          46224

Ok Sitrex is a really good FM also you can get one that is 90" that would cut down on some of your time. We have one that we use to clean up the lot and use a 35hp tractor to pull it. Parts are not too hard to get hold of either. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login