Go Bottom Go Bottom

Some weather related news from North Dakota

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-03-07          189481

Dear friends,

I thought at least a few of you might find this interesting.

This past winter has been one of the coldest we've seen since the early 1970s. Since November 15, 2013, we've had exactly 9 hours with temperatures above freezing. The cold weather has resulted in the following........

The ice on Devils Lake is now too thick to drill through with a 4' long auger. Ice fishing now requires an extension for the ice auger, as the ice has reached a thickness of 4-1/2 feet thick. I've never had to use an auger extension during my entire life. Part of the reason for this is because of the lack of insulating snow cover on the lake.

Water lines are breaking all over North Dakota. Grand Forks has reported 12 water main breaks during the past few weeks. Things are far worse in Oslo, Minnesota, where the entire city has been without water for several weeks. This is due to the frost line reaching the depth of the buried water lines....which is generally 6 feet deep. Studies suggest that the frost line is now 6-1/2 feet down.

All burials in my area have been postponed until May. Digging a grave is nearly impossible. It could be done, but only with special equipment.

It appears as though we are going to make it above freezing on this coming Sunday....March 9th. If so, we will have gone nearly 100 days with temperatures below freezing....with the exception of those few hours one day in January.

I'm heading out onto the lake for a day of ice fishing tomorrow. I'll report back with the current ice depth when I return.

Joel

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Some weather related news from North Dakota

View my Photos
taogden
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-03-07          189486

:-) we had a few cold snaps here in Colorado, but, the ice did not exceed my auger length, we were probably only at about 3 feet on Deweese.
Good luck on fishing, might be cold, but it is great when you find them.
Do you use a Vexilar fishing? ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login