Go Bottom Go Bottom

What s a fair price to charge

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-09          142815

Dear friends,

After receiving a request from a neighbor to do some garden tilling, she asked me for a price. I greatly underestimated the amount she was willing to pay for the job, so she voluntarily doubled my asking price.

I don't know what I should charge for a job like this, as I've never been in the landscaping business, and I've never hired any landscaper to do any work for me.

Can anyone here tell me what you charge for your services? Tilling mall garden spaces, tilling entire lawns for new seeding,tree limb removal, etc.......I'd much appreciate any information my friends here could provide.

Many thanks in advance.

Joel

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-09          142816

Funny how missing one letter can change the entire meaning of a sentence.

Rather than tilling "mall" garden spaces, I meant to type, SMALL garden spaces.

That one little letter makes a big difference. hehehe.

Joel ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-06-09          142818

Joel; I've really never made a business of tilling small garden patches, just an occasional one now and then in our small town. It usually takes longer to get there than the tilling time involved. If it is a spot that has been a garden for years it will normally be rock and root free, those are the easy ones, a hundred bucks an hour for how ever long they want you to stay, usually fifteen to thirty minutes you are done. Be wary of someone wanting new ground tilled for the first time, no telling what you may encounter, rocks, roots, scrap iron, I've found it all just on my own property. You can't charge enough to come out unless the customer agrees to cover any damage to your machine. I learned some of this the hard way during my custom soybean combining days, always look the job over on a first time customer before you commit to doing it. Happy tilling. Frank. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-06-11          142867

Frank,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've been very busy trying to get some yard work done between the never-ending rain storms we've had this year.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate the information you provided.

My first customer was kind enough to call the local utility company and have all of her underground wiring marked out for me. I don't know many people who would do this for a guy.

You're right about the trip into town. It took longer to get there, than it did to do the tilling job. Of course, having coffee with the elderly widow took more time than anything else. hehehe.

I'll keep your warnings and suggestions in mind for any future jobs I might do.

Your friend,

Joel

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login