Go Bottom Go Bottom

5 0L clattering

View my Photos
rossco
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-22          74718

I have a 1994 F-150 with 302 engine. Bought the truck from my stepdad with 94k on it and now has 126k. The problem is a detonation or clattering. It had it before I got it and continues to this day. To my knowledge, the timing has never been changed. I have run Ford's cleaner in an effort to knock carbon off piston tops in hopes this would stop it. Made no difference. I have to run Premium in it and it still, under certain conditions does it. You can hear it at steady throttle and not so much on hard acceleration, which is puzzling to me. Has anyone experienced this and any suggestions. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

5 0L clattering

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-22          74722

You may have a bad knock senor or somewhere is the system the timing retard is inop. You can try checking the actual timing with a time light and maybe try retarding it just a bit (no more than 5 degrees or so) and see what happens. ....

5 0L clattering

View my Photos
rossco

2004-01-22          74730

Chief, thanks for the response. The knock sensor is a new one for me and I will investigate that possibility. It's
kind of a strange condition to me because it pings mostly at a steady throttle and not on hard acceleration. It does worsen with a load behind it and have to use octain boost. It also cranks easily, not like it's overadvanced. Never the less, I will check the timing also. Thanks again.

5 0L clattering

View my Photos
boatman

2004-01-23          74835

Before changing your timing, have a qualified automotive technician inspect your Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system for proper operation. EGR valve and/or EGR valve sensor failure is very common on this engine and is very easy for a qualified technician to inspect/repair. Note: if you retard the ignition timing you will possibly eliminate the symptom, but you will not correct the problem. ....

5 0L clattering

View my Photos
rossco

2004-01-28          75345

Thought I would give a follow-up on the clattering problem. Replacing the knock sensor fixed the problem. I decided not to replace it myself after I found out where it was located. It is right behind the intake on the rear of the engine. The sensor cost me $33 at a local parts store and paid Firestone $66 in labor to replace it. No more clattering and I'm sure a happy camper. Thanks to Chief and Boatman for responding to my post. This is a great site for more than just tractors.

5 0L clattering

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-28          75346

Very welcome rossco, glad everything worked out OK. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login