Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need advice from old-school technician on Ford 370 cid gasser

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-16          164978

I have a 1983 Ford F-600 dump truck with a 370, 2V with a 4 spd manual and 2-speed axle.

The 2300 carb has been rebuilt and I have taller/larger tires on it which changes the gearing.

My question is:
How fast the engine should be turning at highway speeds?

I cannot find anything on the web about RPM shift points, etc. It has an electronic governor on the carb but is disconnected. I did read that others were running at 4500-5000 at 65-70 MPH. Cab that be true? Supposedly "fast idle" speed is 1200 RPM.

Even doing 45 MPH the engine sounds like it's spinning fast (didn't have the tach connected then). I'm used to modern diesels.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-18          165083

Jeff, the old drump truck I told about problems with sounds like same drive train as this one. I never had it above about 45 mph and it ran noisy but the engine sure did not seem to be reving like you think this one is.

But, putting larger wheel on it should lower the rpm ratio so why do you think it is rev so high? And if so what can you do to lower the rpms? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-08-18          165084

Kenny, I'm used to modern diesels (Cummins) in a cab with noise control insulation. This truck doesn't have any of that!

I found at 40 mph it's reving at 2200 RPM, at 45 2800 and 50 it's 3200---I don't really plan on faster than that pulling 15,000 lb. The mechanic who adjusted the timing and carb rebuild said it's screaming, but I don't think so now. Another site for trucks said his pickup screams at 3,500 RPM doing 60-65. Some said I should expect 4,500. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login