Go Bottom Go Bottom

MOWER PTO NOT EASY TO CONNECT TO TRACTOR

View my Photos
john hunter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-15          30984

When I connect the mower to the tractor PTO it is not easy to do. I have to turn the mower blade to align the mower pto shaft with the tractor pto before it will attach. Does this make any sense or am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-16          30992

John, I think 'wrong' is maybe too strong a word for what you are doing. However, I think you have found a new hard way to do it. Try putting the pto drive shaft against the output shaft on the tractor and either turning the shaft by hand as you apply gentle pressure towards the tractor, or just hold the drive shaft with one hand and turn the pto output shaft with the other hand. Everybody has their own method, what ever is the easiest (safe way) for you is the best way to do it. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
BillBass

2001-08-16          31004

I agree with Murf. You develop your own technique. Since it is a splined shaft, it must be aligned before it will slide on. As Murf said, you can generally do that by bringing the drive shaft up the PTO shaft and slightly turning it as you push it against the PTO shaft. It might help to apply a little lube to the PTO splines. ....

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-16          31016

I find it helps to shut the tractor off which allows the rear pto to (free wheel) and easier to turn. David ....

View my Photos
Rob Wheeler

2001-08-16          31019

If I understood it right, the Deeres have a PTO brake so that with the tractor turned off and with the PTO disengaged, the PTO output shaft on the tractor will not turn. I can see where this might make things a little tougher to get things lined up. Otherwise I've found it's just a matter of practice - fight with it the first few times then come up with an approach that works, and soon you won't even be thinking about it. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-08-17          31024

I can't recall if it was about JD's or Botas, but that doesn't make any difference. As I understand, the design is intended to reduce accidents that result from letting rotary cutters spin down while the tractor is unattended. There's a brake that requires hydraulic pressure to keep it open. A few seconds after the engine is shut down, the brake closes, which places a heavy drag on the PTO and unfortunately makes the PTO impossible to turn by hand when the tractor is off. The design might be a good idea, but it also might end up causing people to hook up with the engine running or use unusual ways to line up the splines, which aren't very good ideas. ....

View my Photos
Randy Eckard

2001-08-17          31025

The Deere PTO does have a brake but it is made in such a way that when the PTO is off it can be rotated approx 180deg to allow for hookup of misalligned splines.
Randy ....

View my Photos
Stan in Calif

2001-08-17          31047

It will be interesting to see what the manufacturers do about this new problem. From what Randy and Dana have said, it appears that Deere has a solution. It might also help if they would chamfer the ends of the splines in both directions, and not just radially. Of course, it's another machining operation and added expense, but it would give them bragging rights, and maybe just enough of an increase in sales to offset the cost. In reading through these threads, it is obvious that ease of attaching implements is very important to many users. -Stan ....

View my Photos
Rob Wheeler

2001-08-17          31057

Maybe I've lost the gist of this thread, but my Kubota (B2410) DOES allow the rear PTO output shaft to rotate freely with the tractor off and the rear PTO engaged. I was under the impression that the Deeres are unique in that they do not allow the rear PTO to turn with the PTO disengaged and the tractor turned off. ....

View my Photos
dsg

2001-08-18          31071

Rob, I have a JD 4700 and I can turn the pto shaft as much as I want with the engine off and PTO disengaged. David ....

View my Photos
Rob Wheeler

2001-08-18          31072

David, Okay. I'm not sure what JD model the other person had been talking about, but it must not have been a 4700. I was just trying to get across the fact (or assumption?) that the rear PTO on most compacts will rotate freely with the tractor off and PTO disengaged. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login