Go Bottom Go Bottom

Do you furrow

View my Photos
JonB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-09          26490

I've expanded my garden plot, and figure that creating furrows by hand will be work ... too much work. And furrows seems to help with irrigation and aeration. I'm too new to tractoring to know for sure, but it seems the moldboard plow is the way to furrow? So, do you furrow? Is there an easier way than using the moldboard? Thanks in advance. JonB

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Do you furrow

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-04-09          26500

What you want is either a middlebuster or a tater hiller. A middlebuster looks like a really big cultivator shovel, throws dirt to both sides. Many tillers (Troybuilt, particularly) come with a small version of this that hooks behind the tines and does a nice job of hilling up. Tractor sized 3-point versions are available from Northern Tool. Hit the link, do a search for 'middle buster'. A tater hiller is basically two disc blades set at opposite angles with the front edge of the discs set wider than the rears. They throw dirt to the center, creating a hill/furrow. ....

Link:   Northern

Do you furrow

View my Photos
Gene

2001-04-13          26682

JonB,
I make furrows for my watermelons every year. I take my double disk harrow and set the front set of disk at a neutral angle leaving the back set sharply angled in. A couple of passes pulls the loose soil into a nice raised furrow. I then use my tiller and run back over it to flatten the top. If I had a lot to do it would be nice to have a special implement for that, but no more than I have to do this works out great. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login