Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rust bubbles

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-10          42253

Help.
I have a 1994 Dakota that I like a lot. Just recently, I noticed a bubble in the paint on top of one of the fenders. Over the next month, I've started to notice other rust bubbles on the other fenders. Any ideas on what to do? I don't feel it is time to trade just yet. Is there anything that would slow down the inevitable rust-through?
Thanks,
Bill

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rust bubbles

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-10          42264

There is a factory recall for the paint on that era Dodge trucks. My brother-in-law got his truck repainted at Dodge's expense. Might check the web site, if you can't find the info I'll find out where he got the scoop. ....

Rust bubbles

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-11          42272

I hope it's surface rust and a factory paint fix does the job. If it's perforation by the time bubbles are noticed there's usually a lot of damage that isn't apparent.

Around here so much salt was used on the highways that the government paid for people along the highway to replace dug wells with drilled wells because the surface water was salty. Nearly everybody gets an oil spray undercoating each fall. The tar stuff is mostly for noise reduction and some people say it makes rust problems worse.

Oil undercoating is best as a preventative. Once panel cavities are perforated and open to road salt from the undercarriage, salty sand packs in open areas and eats the body. Undercoating then slows it down a bit but not too much.

My '89 Ford 1/2-ton hadn't been undercoated when I bought it used. I undercoated it for a few years but then replaced fenders, doors and quarter-panels, and I was lucky to find a used '92 bed that came from the south. I trapped myself and got the body done to go along with the rebuilt engine, TX, front-end etc. The bodywork cost about the same as I originally paid for the truck. With all the work done, the total bills would come pretty close to a new truck. But you know, the '89 is going strong and I don't have the problem that owners of new trucks seem to have. I like my old truck.

Rust bubbles

View my Photos
Morgan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-08          47140

My '92 Dakota has sat outside for 11 years and has never seen the inside of a garage. It has 262,000 miles on it. I use it mostly in the winter when they salt the road, and I abuse that truck more than I abuse my wife. Never saw any rust until around 2 years ago.

Meanwhile, '92 Ford's started rusting around 1998. As for Chevy and GMC, the '92's started rusting around '93. No lie. If there are any '92 Chevy's still on the road they look like cancer has wiped out their boxes right down to the frame.

Dakotas are made of galvanized steel. No rust. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login