Go Bottom Go Bottom

Transmission oil for old Allis Chalmers

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-29          55933

I have an old D12 A/C that has been maintained with utility sae 10 motor oil in the gearbox and hydraulic system since it has been in the family (40 years). I have a jug of sae 20 and wondered if mixing it would harm the old girl. There has been an increased "gear noise" over the last few seasons, perhaps a bit heavier oil may help that? The old timers around here seem to think just about anything is OK for them, but I am not so sure. I only use it in the summer to bush hog but I don't want to cause harm. I was thinking perhaps UDT might be OK as well, no manuals for this and everyone I ask has a different answer!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-30          55965

Does utility means non-detergent oil? I can't imagine that the difference in viscosity between 10 and 20 weight would make much difference. Yikes, some old tractors use gear oil in the hydraulic systems! Detergent or non-detergent might make a difference.

There is the issue that the composition of some seals make them swell if some oils are used (that's the regular vs F-type auto TX fluid issue). There might be some chance that a synthetic is not compatible with the seals. I think Peters knows quite a bit about this.

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-30          56048

Tom,

That would be non-detergent oil. My thought is that you would end up with 15w however the chemistry might not permit that. You may end up with part of the oil remaining a different viscosity than the rest, who knows. Peters is the resident expert on this subject. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login