Go Bottom Go Bottom

Oil types

View my Photos
KlayW in MI
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-10-16          20627

After reading other posts about oil I went looking closer at labels at the local Farm & Fleet store. Kubota says use a 10W-30 or 10W-40 but all the labels say for "gas engines" on those. The cross referance to oil type to use showed only 15W-40 for diesel. What gives? I am looking for best cold starting lubrication for the winter. Thanks in advance

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Oil types

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-10-16          20629

KlayW, "What gives?" Well, the main thing is that Kubota fell behind in updating some of the information in their manuals. I guess your manual, like the others, also says to use oil rated "CC" or "CD" and you probably can't find such because those are old ratings. I think the latest is "CH-4". I use the 15W-40 myself (Delo 400), but being in Texas I don't have much really cold weather (and won't get outside on the tractor if I do). So, use an oil that's rated for diesels and of course you can go to synthetic if you're really concerned with cold weather starting. ....

Oil types

View my Photos
TomG

2000-10-17          20635

My Ford operator's manual is new enough to mention 10w-30 and that's about it. The dealer sent a jug of NH 0W-30 along with the tractor. The dealer's service manager uses the 0W-30 year around in all his equipment and trucks. The oil is not fully synthetic. It gets cold here in Northern Ontario, and I use the 0W-30 all year. However, I'd probably use a summer weight oil if I was doing a lot of heavy pulling. I think I'd see what your local dealer recommends. Manuals are written for worldwide use, and I imagine there's often a big difference between the tech writers and those who just use tractors. ....

Oil types

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-10-17          20638

Actually the main reason is because the manuals are written for the 'home' market, then translated into English for overseas sales. Most manufacturers specify the old standard oil (which is still readily available there) with a LOT less detergents in it because the oil is supposedd to be changed every 50 hours, to them these units are "full-size" farm tractors, therefore 50 hour service interval is WEEKLY to them. It is only North Americans that buy "farm tractors" as hobby machines. As with Tom, I to have cold weather (Ontario, Canada) problems, and therefore run 15W-40W April till December, then change to 5W-30W for the winter. Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login