Go Bottom Go Bottom

how many hours should these diesel engines last

View my Photos
robert cook
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-09-20          19935

I have read with interest people purchasing compact tractors with low hours. I am looking at a new holland 1925 with 1400 hours. This tractor seems to be in wonderful condition, with the exception of the number of hours. With proper maintenance how how can one expect these small diesel engines to last?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
al

2000-09-20          19939

i have heard that about 10,000 hrs you will need a rebuild, that is the number that the farmers in this part of the country kick around. they will last about forever, for most of us our grandchildren will be driving these tractors given the amount of time i put on the machine in a year, about 200 hrs. a lot of the farmers i know are driving tractors that are older than they are.

good luck
al ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-09-20          19942

The real farmers I've talked to say you'll probably need to rebuild the engine in 7k to 10k hours if you do normal maintenance; i.e., fluids and filters. ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-09-20          19943

The rule of thumb used to be 5000 hours till an overhaul on a farm tractor diesel. I wouldn't expect that many hours on a compact, because one of the biggest wear factors is cooled starting. A compact will have a lot more starts than a farm tractor. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-09-21          19957

We run our machines 3500 hours (normally two years) and then replace them. This however is more an economic factor (they still demand a good resale value, but have earned their keep already) than a dependability issue. However, 2 people who sub-contract to me have machines (Kubotas, same as our fleet) with 6000 & 8000 hours on them with no problems and no signs of 'old age' yet. It is a popular opinion that machinery that works every day will always outlast equipment that sits idle much of it's life, due to the effects of corrosion and deterioration, etc., sort of like people, stay active and fit and you will live a long life. The key factor seems to be maintenance, same as peolpe. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-09-21          19976

Robert, they last a long time. Compacts have only been popular in the US for about the last 20 years. They were already a mature product when they first hit the US, as the oriental farmers had been using them for primary tillage for decades. I'm trying to remember when JD started selling compacts....Sometime in the early 1980s I think. But Ford had been selling them since the late 70's. Like most of our domestic compacts, both of these brands were basically well-known Japanese products being sold under a US brand name.
Hold on! I'm going somewhere with all of this... The point being that these engines are remarkably good. In 20 years we still don't have enough hours on enough motors to be able to answer your question! And hours mount up slowly. Unless you mow a LOT, you may never get another 1000 hours on your machine. Buying a well-maintained compact with 1400 hours wouldn't bother me at all.

View my Photos
Norm

2000-09-22          19985

Something else to keep in mind is that these little engines are used in all sorts of other applications from ice cream truck refrigerators to sailboats. I'd be willing to bet these other applications rack up significantly faster hours than we do in our compacts. ....

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-09-22          19999

I think 8k to 10k hours woiuld be a fair guess. We have an old JD 820 at the farm (38 hp?) which is about 30 years old and has 8000+ hours on it. It still works almost every week bush hogging and of all the things that have worn and broken over the years, the engine hasn't been one of them. Now if my little, 1-1/2 year old Kubota lasts that long and I keep putting 200 to 250 hours a year on it, I figure I should be needing an engine rebuild somewhere around my 105th birthday. I hope both me and the tractor are around to see it. ....

View my Photos
Tom Fischer

2000-09-23          20014

Should also keep in mind what the tractor was doing while the engine was running.

I have a Ford 641 (not a compact). The engine was rebuild about 15 years ago. Story I heard was that the Ford mechanic took one look at the main bearings and said that the tractor never had a plow on it. He was right. The tractor has only been used to cut grass.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login