Go Bottom Go Bottom

Water water everywhere

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-01-22          194357

Making the news is not often good news for the party doing so and it sure was not for South Carolina with the major flooding we had the first weekend of October. Today we got another inch or more which means we are staying as wet as we have been. Our crops have been about totally lost. Our summer was dry enough corn did not do well and then the rain hit as soybeans were about ready as was peanuts. Both about 100% loss due to water. Not much cotton in our area this year but think that was loss also to how much rain and how often it was. If crop was dry the ground was way to wet for combine to stand in it. Winter grain could not be planted due to wet ground and it may be we need to go back to rice and planting by hand...ok not real funny really sad. How did your crops do?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Water water everywhere

View my Photos
yocsr1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-01-27          194392

We had an almost perfect year. We had corn and actually doubled our normal yield. When everyone does well the price drops as was the case, so the profif wasn't any different than usual. During the drought a few years back we went with milo and still had a good yield, where others around us had 0 yields. Milo is drought resistant, and we had some dog food manufacturers we could direct sell to. ....

Water water everywhere

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-02-01          194423

Hard to see a crop with profit to it for us next year at current prices. Yields have been over all good and markets are soft with China I think leading the way. It is hard to understand how buying for food varies as much as it can. Ethanol has had a nonfood impact on corn and some other grains and now with the oil price down it has pushed corn down and thus other grains is what I understand. Odd, not aware of input cost dropping nor building material or such dropping. Maybe the trucking and logging industry is making better profits. Have a friend who is a smaller hay grower and he has told me I can clear more with hay than can gross with soybeans. Then I talk with bigger hay grower also a friend and he was not near as positive.

Growing up we did not worry about grain market prices and I assume they varied but doubt as much as since it is really global as we feed our grain to animals which we did sell some cows but by far more hogs. Of course that was before the big boys go into the hog business.

With our flooding and loss of a vast amount of most any kind of crops this year fully expect there to farmers who do not make it. Crop insurance sure will not save them, may keep from deeper debt but will not provide for their full loss. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login