Go Bottom Go Bottom

Did it again sorry

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-01-04          176214

Dennis;

In my haste to spam a bunch of garbage E-Mails I accidently spammed a TP message. I did this once before and caused you a lot of problems to correct.
I'll try better.

Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Did it again sorry

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-04          176215

Frank I'm beginning to think you prolly should or already wear a helmet. And did you ride the "short bus" to school? Tehehehe ....

Did it again sorry

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-05          176220

Come on Jeff, you know Frank did not ride a short bus. He walked 15 miles up hill in the snow to school and then 15 miles back home, again up hill to milk the cows feed the pigs, cut stove wood and stack it. :)

It was safe to walk both ways for all the neighbors looked out for each other. Also were able to visit with them as you walked by. There were no "strangers" or if so they really stood out. Okay to carry a knife and gun to school for duck hunting before school or squirrel after. His mother was at home with fresh home cooked meal waiting and all the family sat down together. Not a bad set up. Not bad at all.

Did it again sorry

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-01-05          176221

KT;
A lot of what you said does fit me.
At the urging of our oldest son who is a science fiction writer, along with his real job I wrote an autobiography. It covered from my first memories till High School graduation. I did get it done and printed one for each of the kids and one to keep. This took me from about November first till a few days before Christmas for six complete copies.
I never had to walk to school, the year I started 1947 the country schools closed and we went to town school. The busses we had for the first couple years were just old cars with a hand painted board tied to the front and back bumpers that read "School Bus".
Yes, we milked and did chores before and after school, every boy carried a pocket knife to school. After I had a car (49 Hudson) in high school most of us boys had a shotgun on the back seat to go hunting after school, parked on the school parking lot. I remember one of our teachers who was a hunter brought his guns to school one day to compare with ours.
We were a tiny school compared to anything today, twelve total in my graduating class. All seven of us boys in my class were farm kids, so at noon on good work days in the spring and fall we went home to help, if your school work was done. No written excuse slips from Mom were needed, the superintendent knew all of our parents on a first name basis, so he knew if you really went home or were goofing off. I can't remember any of us who abused that privledge.
Five of the seven farm boys went on to farm, one worked for a farm Co-op and one kid ended up being a high school superentendent. The five of us who farmed, one died young of cancer and the rest if us have retired.
Everyone no matter when they lived likey thinks they lived during the greatest part of history, so do I. During my earliest memories of no electricity, no telephone, no indoor plumbing to the world we live in today. I'm sure things will progress even faster as we go along but I wouldn't trade my growing up years for any other time period.
My sermon for the day.
Frank. ....

Did it again sorry

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-01-05          176225

Thanks for sharing Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login