Go Bottom Go Bottom

Aereo Goes to Supreme Court April 22

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-04-17          190109

Letter to subscribers:

Standing up for Innovation, Progress and Technology, Continued

Last December, we agreed to the broadcasters’ request to seek review of their claims by the United States Supreme Court. We made that decision because we wanted their claims against Aereo resolved on their merits, rather than through a wasteful war of attrition.

On April 22, Aereo will present our case to the United States Supreme Court. We remain steadfast in our conviction that Aereo’s cloud-based antenna and DVR technology falls squarely within the law. We have every hope and confidence that the Court will validate and preserve a consumer's right to access local over-the-air television using an individual antenna, make a personal recording with a DVR, and watch that recording on a device of their choice.

Much has been written about Aereo and its technology, as well as the Supreme Court case. Many of you have reached out to us asking for more information and ways to help the company.

Today, we are launching a website, that provides you with some basic information about Aereo and the legal claims before the Supreme Court.

At ProtectMyAntenna.org, you’ll find court briefs, amicus briefs and court decisions related to the Supreme Court case. You can also sign up for updates to stay in touch with the Aereo team.

What is at stake in this case is much bigger than Aereo. We believe that consumers are entitled to use a modern, cloud-based, version of an antenna and DVR and that consumers should not be constrained to 1950’s era technology to watch free-to-air broadcast television. The broadcasters’ positions in this case, if sustained, would impair cloud innovation and threaten the myriad benefits to individuals, companies, and the economy at large of the advances in cloud computing and cloud storage. Several amicus briefs including those from CCIA and Mozilla, Public Knowledge, the Consumer Electronics Association and the Electronic Frontier Foundation, directly address these issues.

We hope you’ll find ProtectMyAntenna.org useful. Sign up for updates and spread the word!

Thank you for your continued support. It means a great deal to all of us at Aereo.

Yours truly,

Chet Kanojia
Founder & CEO

Link:   ProtectmyAntenna.org Aereo Supreme Court Case

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Aereo Goes to Supreme Court April 22

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-04-23          190159

I read some of the statements from yesterday's hearing at the supreme court on the Aereo case. Justice Roberts asked if rather than technical innovation was not Aereo just doing the remote antenna approach as a complex method of circumventing the copyright law.

This got me to thinking.... some of you may be old enough to remember that rabbit ear or outdoor or attic antennas were the only way to watch TV in the old days.

Did you ever wonder why TV Over The Air OTA antenna reception never improved over the years, but I venture got worse.

Did you ever think to notice that when the government mandated the end of analog TV signals in favor of digital HD signals again the latest technological innovation did not improve OTA signal availability.

My supposition is that the broadcast networks found out that they could receive copyright royalties from the cable and satellite corporations and therefore had no reason to improve OTA in fact the worse it got the more money they make.

From this perspective Aereo is filling a void that the Broadcasters created of their own volition. In 2014 you need a remote antenna for OTA, the broadcast networks have created this situation, why can't I rent an antenna?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login