Go Bottom Go Bottom

Google Nexus 7 FHD 2013 16GB Review

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-10-01          188055

I bought this last week.

Pros: Light, thin, beautiful high resolution screen. Size is great to replace kindle readers. Fast processor, almost no lag.

Cons: Touch screen problems, you touch an icon nothing happens particularly at screen edges. Also on many app links and links in browser you have to press over and over to get a response.

Conclusion: Sadly I am returning it within the 14 day Staples return policy. The touchscreen issue is just too annoying. I have also heard that Asus is hard to deal with and I do not want to go there. I tried the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8 inch at Bestbuy yesterday. The Galaxy tab has a perfect touchscreen and confirms that the Nexus is buggy. However the Galaxy processors are not any where near the performance of the Nexus, and feels heavy to hold for long periods. So for me the Galaxy is not an alternative. I will wait until the Nexus issues get resolved and buy another Nexus if that happens :(

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
bristan8
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-10-04          188073

Maybe the one you purchased is a dud? Have you seen or read whether others have the same issue? I am interested in buying a small tablet also. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-10-05          188074

I really went through lots of analysis of this and yes there are many people who have complained about this.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 so I had the benefit of doing the same functions on each device. Is the Nexus 7 usable? Sure it is. But on the Nexus 7 in the Kindle app for example some times the page forward works sometimes a tap will not advance a page and you have to swipe instead.

If you have no basis of comparison the Nexus works, compared to the touch action on the S4, the Nexus is just not good enough regardless of how great the screen is.

The other thing is since I already have the S4 with a full hd display I did not feel the size was that big of an enlargement and I started thinking I might be better off with the new Samsung Note 3.

The Nexus 7 I had was the Wifi version with no data plan availability and I don't have tethering on my cell yet. So things like Google Navigation cannot really be used on the road ...

All that said the Nexus 7 is my favorite small tablet, just not willing to put up with the multi tap no tap recognition thing...

After I got the Nexus I kept thinking where can stuff this thing if I go out with my wife shopping, too big for a pocket other than a back pocket and then you can sit on it and crack the screen.

I have found the Galaxy S4 to just about at the limit of what I live with in a jeans front pocket.

If you think you might like the Nexus buy at a brick and mortar store so you can return it if you are not satisfied . ....

View my Photos
bristan8

2013-10-05          188075

After writing, I looked up some reviews and noticed also that many people had had problems. Maybe the ipad mini when it comes out with the retina display will be the better purchase. I have a Galaxy ace with tethering and it is excellent when travelling. We run a laptop and my wife's ipad and it is better than most local wifis I wouldn't bother getting a tablet with a sim card. The laptop is a bit heavy to cart around and that is why I would like a light tablet. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-10-09          188098

The Apple mini is a nice size... but I like the Android gadgets better... I don't like being a part of the marketing inside the itunes world. I pretty much figure out ways to get my content at no cost...

With the large 5 inch screen of the Samsung S4 I have now or the the 5.7 inch screen of the the new Note 3, the benefit of the Nexus 7 or Apple Mini is really not that big of a deal.

I have a Kindle touch and I was thinking of using the Nexus as a back up indoor reader laptop replacement rather than buying a single function Kindle Paperwhite...

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login