Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kama Grey Import

View my Photos
Carlos11
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-02-22          168753

Hi

If someone offers a Kama Tractor is there a way to check if it’s a ligit import or a grey imports, like the serial nr or anything like that?

Any hint or where to look would be appreciated

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kama Grey Import

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-22          168754

The "grey" market offers USED machines that were never built with an intent to sell in the USA. In the tractor arena, they're almost exclusively Japanese. Chinese tractors are built to conform to the laws and specifications of the destination country. They are sold NEW, and prominently display date of manufacture labels on both tractor and engine.

The company that makes KAMA however - and it's little brother the TaiShan - decided that they didn't want to spend what it took to conform to the 2007 EPA emission standards. You'll not see any newer than model year 2006.

//greg// ....

Kama Grey Import

View my Photos
Carlos11

2010-02-23          168758

thanks Greg,
the tractor in question is a 2005; is there a way to tell if it complys to US standars or if it was not intended for the US market?

Thanks

Carlos ....

Kama Grey Import

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-23          168759

Since you list your location as CA, I suspect you're wondering if it arrived via Mexico. I can't say this with any authority, but I don't think there's any reason for concern. The emission standards didn't kick in till 2007, so - Mexican or American - you're pretty safe with one that's stamped with 2005 dates.

I say this knowing how massive the Chinese west coast container port is. I spent some time there when it was still the Long Beach Naval Shipyard. Since China sends this stuff over by the boatload, I'm thinking Long Beach may even receive a majority of Chinese tractors sold in North America. So I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the KAMAs sold in Mexico and Canada didn't actually come in via Long Beach. And since the Chinese wholesale this stuff by the boatload, it only makes economic sense that it all come off the same assembly line.

//greg// ....

Kama Grey Import

View my Photos
Carlos11

2010-02-24          168779

hey Gregg, thanks for your continued input and thoughts on the subject,
I just thought that perhaps there is a way as an Yanmar, as I read that basically, a Yanmar with a four digit model number is a gray market machine. There are some around with a three digit number and these were US-spec models sold in the '80s, to tell on Kama as well.
I am not so much concerned if its came in via Mexico;
there are are some signs that it may not even be new as it has been represented (e.g. severe overspray on labels and stickers, some are entirely covered with paint), a local tractor guy opinioned that it reconditioned and even suspects that to be a grey import, but how can I find out for sure..??

Kama Grey Import

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-02-24          168781

Your local tractor guy is severely under-informed about Chinese tractors. One of the things that permits them to so severely undercut major brand pricing is fit and finish. Mechanically - and when assembled/prepped competently - they're sound machines. But to keep costs down, the Chinese have conspicuously fallen short on fit and finish. Paint overspray and panel gaps - on NEW tractors - are common place. I just look the other way, and count the money I DIDN'T have to spend on a major brand. I have two by the way, a 2004 and a 2006. Both 4wd; a 45hp with hydraulic remotes, and a 35hp with a front loader.I liked the 2004 so much, that 2 years later I went out and bought its little brother.

Short version; for all practical purposes, there is NO grey market in the USA for Chinese tractors. Japanese yes, Chinese no.

edit: I just noticed you think you might be looking at new old stock. That is, a 2005 model that has no hours on the clock. Is that the case? If yes, it's new old stock. If there ARE hours on the meter, then you're simply looking at a used 2005 KAMA. ....

Kama Grey Import

View my Photos
Carlos11

2010-02-24          168782

about 6 or 7h

I am not an expert at all but a label broken in half and than painted heavely black does not look like new at all ....

Kama Grey Import

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-02-24          168783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos11 | view 168782
I am not an expert
Well, neither am I. But after owning 4 Chinese tractors in the last 10 years, I think my experiences SHOULD be worth considering. From everything you've posted so far - including the bit about label and the overspray - makes it sound to me like you're looking at new old stock.

That said, you should start the thing and make sure the tach and hour meter BOTH still work. The hour meter won't count without input from the tach, nor will it count if the drive teeth are broke - or when it's not getting 12v. If any of these are true, it means the other possibility is that you're looking at a used machine that has been worked an indeterminate number of hours.

If new old stock, which particular KAMA model is it? Cuz I can tell you approximately what it may have retailed for back in 2005

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login