Go Bottom Go Bottom

overheating and slipping clutch when hot

View my Photos
jarhead7377
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-06-07          163272

hi i'm new to tractor point i have a taskmaster trooper 426E
when temp gauge gets up around 200 the clutch starts to slip if i back off throttle it will start to move again. any idea what is going on . have removed thermostat with no improvement

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-07          163273

Temp at 200 and clutch slipping there is no a connection.

Sounds like a misadjusted clutch you need to have about 3/4 to 1.5 Inch free travel. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-07          163274

Whereas many parts of a hard working tractor heat proportionate to the workload, there is no direct relationship between engine temperature and clutch slippage. You have two separate issues.

200F is too hot, there should be a metric thermostat in there. Most common is 80C, which is about 176F. Most common reason for overheating is an obstructed radiator, most common location is behind the battery. Another common error is the wrong pressure cap, yours likely requires one between 3 and 7 psi. Clean the radiator with compressed air from the back. Avoid the temptation to use a power washer, they'll destroy the fins. If necessary, remove the radiator completely and soak it clean. Make sure the fan belt is tight, verify (or change) the thermostat and pressure cap.

Clutch slipping when hot sounds like one or both of the friction discs are glazed. Most common reason - riding the clutch. Fix is much more difficult than the overheating problem though, it involves splitting the tractor and replacing or rebuilding the clutchpack.

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login