Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mowing Business

View my Photos
BUSBOY
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-11          61571

Just curious as to how the mowing business is around the country. It has dried up here in Oklahoma. It has not rained here in two months and we have had three weeks of 100 degree weather. I am hoping this is why but I don't know. It sure is nice when the phone rings often with work. Hopefully it will start ringing when the fall rains start. Please reply with other input. Busboy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Mowing Business

View my Photos
larry

2003-08-11          61572

If you had a grass business in the northeast you would be complaining about cutting TO much.It has been a crappy summer with a LOW system stalled over us now for what seem's like the whole summer.I cut grass at least once a week sometimes twice
Glad I bought a 72" mower ....

Mowing Business

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-11          61573

It has slowed down for me as well. We went for about 3 weeks with no rain and the grass just dried up and went dormant. It rained late last week about 3 times but that did not seem to get things growing much. I am passing out flyers for other services such as Fall clean up, hauling junk away, cleaning gutters, and mulch. The phone is not ringing off the hook but hopfully things will pick up as Fall gets closer. Do you follow the guys over on Lawnsite? ....

Mowing Business

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-11          61581

I was cutting my lawn at 3" but my landscaper son took over and he's telling me he can do better at 2". Well we are still mowing every 4 days. Thing is I see more weeds coming in! ....

Mowing Business

View my Photos
Hillslider

2003-08-11          61597

Well here in WV it has been a wet summer. Everything is really green and lush with weeds and brush!!! I have mowed my pastures 4 times since I have bought my tractor in June. I should get some more animals. Our "gluebags" are getting fat. My wife loves to ride and love them since they justify the Kubota!!!!! I am pretty picky about my lawn.....I have been mowing every 2 days. Nothing like a nice mowed lawn. ....

Mowing Business

View my Photos
harvey

2003-08-12          61605

When I was mowing lawns for a living (not yards) it seemed everyone wanted grass cut short. Seems the shorter it's cut the more chemicals needed to keep weeds at bay. And the grass never looked as green. Good for chemical business.

I like the clovers and a nice green grass in my yard. I mow at 3 or so + inches. If I keep the ground speed down the hi-lift blades will do a very good job after the tractor has gone over it. I used 10-10-10 on yard a year ago first time in 9 years. I've never used chemicals to kill weeds. Mowing it 3+ inches seems to do that for me, Me thinks the weeds still there but I don't see them. I have a very large dog pen/kennel (we keep 5-6 used dogs) the grass is lush and not one weed in there... Hummmmmmmmmm

I only mow once a week because of time. It did get away from me this past couple of weeks because of rain and work but it does not seem to hurt it if it gets to 5+ inches before I mow. It is a little tuff on the mower drive belt.

I guess I need more time, Ilike the smell of fresh mowed hay, lawn grass, tilled land and choped corn. Which reminded my summer is fast ending. The change in season can not get here quick enough this year. ITS BEEN A LONG SUMMER!!!

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login