Go Bottom Go Bottom

4 blade cutter

View my Photos
shoot501
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-20          59868

Has anyone tried out a 4 blade hog. Scorpion makes a 4 blade bush hog thats only about 780.00 for a 5 footer. Salesman says it cuts almost as smooth as a finish mower and can still take on big saplings. Thanks, Larry

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4 blade cutter

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-21          59887

Maybe somebody who knows mowers has an idea why a four-blade cutter would be an advantage. I can't think of a particular one myself compared to a regular blade with a reasonably high blade tip speed.

Some sales techniques are a little like economic forecasting. The secret of a successful forecaster is never to say what's going to happen and when it's going to happen at the same time. That way nothing actually is being said and the forecaster never is wrong. I'd wonder what almost as smooth means, how big are the saplings and how much HP does it take. It's doubtful that smooth grass and whacked saplings can be done with the same blade by any cutter.

4 blade cutter

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-21          59895

You get dull blades from cutting rough pretty fast, I would wonder how well it would work when most other companies have one away from that type system. ....

4 blade cutter

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-21          59900

Art's right, most companies have gone away from this style of machine. The extra weight and therefore load, do have some benefits, but generally the 'cons' outweigh the 'pros'.

The theory was that by having double the number of blades you could travel at twice the ground speed but still achieve the same blade to grass relationship. It didn't work. It was also thought that this would allow a 'rough' mower to be used to do 'fine' work like a lawn, the problem is a large single spindle machine can't be used effectively on anything but VERY flat ground without tearing it up or scalping it. The other problem is that any 'bush hog' type machine is designed for rough cutting, and so the blades are generally a ways up inside the case, usually about 2" up, this means if you want to cut the grass to 2" tall you have to have the case touching the ground to do it, if you want to cut shorter than that you're SOL ....

It was much simpler to use many more blades in a different format for high speed cutting. To this day they still haven't come up with a faster grass cutter than a reel-type mower. The cut this type of machine delivers on finish cutting work can't be beat, period.

For high speed rough work the only real choice is a flail-type mower, they are expensive and relatively complicated to sharpen, but cant be beat for touring along at 7 to 10 mph cutting the long grass next to a road, or keeping the rough under control on a golf course they can't be beat.

Best of luck. ....

4 blade cutter

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-21          59908

Murf, there is one exception in our line up and that is the Brown tree cutter. Those do have the extra blades on them to cut tree's apart faster. ....

4 blade cutter

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-21          59909

I absolutely agree with you Art, however I also think you would agree that a Brown would hardly make a good choice for cutting your front lawn either.

Larry said in his original post "Salesman says it cuts almost as smooth as a finish mower and can still take on big saplings."

Somehow I don't think he was shopping at Whites Farm Supply .... LOL

Best of luck. ....

4 blade cutter

View my Photos
shoot501

2003-07-21          59910

I've never seen one of the mowers, do not know the quality of scorpion products. The guy selling these cutters said 4 blade design gives twice the cut over the same area for a smoother finish but is heaver than a finish mower so it can handle brush also. Just a pipe dream that it could do both I guess. Larry ....

4 blade cutter

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-22          59922

Murf, I wish we were that good at knowing people from an interview. We chase, and talk but some of those guys still fall in here from time to time. Yuk!!! ....

4 blade cutter

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-22          59925

Actually Larry you CAN do both rough-cutting and finish mowing with one single cutter, a flail mower will easily do both because of the unique design. They are however considerably more expensive also.

Most people, yours truly included, have both a bush hog & a finish mower. In fact I also have a big nasty Alamo flail mower.

When buying a bush hog most people overlook the obvious, they don't build things like they used to. Unless cosmetics are high on your list of requirements when buying an implement buy a big old bullet-proof rotary cutter. You will get it for probably a 1/4 of the cost of the comparable product today and it will not wimper at the site of the odd stump or rock. My bush hog is a Ford that is according to the dealer at least 35 years old, the gear box is about double the size of what is common today.

Best of luck. ....

4 blade cutter

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-22          59927

Sort of a compromise for using a rotary cutter as a 'one size fits all' thing might be to keep two blades--one with rounded edges for brush and the other sharpened for the grass. ....

4 blade cutter

View my Photos
shoot501

2003-07-22          59935

Was looking to get this cutter for my daughter to do her field and some rouhg cutting. Somehow I dont think she would be in to changing out mowers every week and I'm tired of hauling my equipment out there every weekend. Thanks for all the replys, Larry ....

4 blade cutter

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-22          59938

Larry I can understand the problem of flexibility. The blade tip speed is what is most often cosidered the good part of a mower. Most finish mowers will cut at 15000 to 17000 foot per minute and a bush-hog style is 13000 to 15000 foot per minute. I have not heard of the brand mower you are considering but it doesn't mean it won't work. Please let us know how you do. I would think that it would cost more to build with four blades then two but some times that is what I get for thinking! ....

4 blade cutter

View my Photos
shoot501

2003-07-22          59959

All I really know about this mower is that it has 4 wheels like a finish mower, 4 blades on a single shaft and does cost more than the companys bush hog. Larry ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login