Go Bottom Go Bottom

new machine soon

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-18          55073

just got back from trimming the farm and checkin my clover plots. man i don't think i'll take the wife to help again! couldn't get her off the tractor, I had to do all the trimming on foot. I'm guessin I'm going to have to buy my own now beings she kinda took mine over. we stoped on the way home to look at the 5205 deere.maybe i'll be gettin at new machine soon.I"M HOPIN. look at pics. it will most likly be the 4710 if i'm even lucky. realy just want a bigger machine so i can do all my hay work myself.was thinking the 4710 would be enuf if not i know the 5205 will be.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

new machine soon

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-18          55080

Plots good for you, nothing like a woman that appreciates a real toy. Depending on your land a 4710 will run a smaller baler with a small wagon. I would not put it on a side hill and I don't think I'd put a 5205 on very much of a slope. I remember well having to use skids under the wagon tire as a brake to keep the wagon and baler from passing the tractor on several slopes.

Harvey ....

new machine soon

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-19          55133

my hay feild only has slight incline, shurely the 4710 could handle the 9 acers.like i said 5205 will do it for sure,fellow down the way from us works 18 acre feild of hay rather nicely.BUT my new tractor is looking like it might be a ways off yet. ol well maybe someday? ....

new machine soon

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-20          55148

When I was growing up hay from small fields in the mountains used to be stacked. For that matter grain was shocked. A baler seems a pretty expensive idea for 9-acres. Making a stacker might be an interesting project. Some old balers had small gas pony engines to operate the kicker, which reduced the tractor HP requirements.

I suppose bales now tend to go from a baler right into a wagon, but they don't have to. I remember walking behind my Uncle's old round baler and having to tie bales as they came off. A few years later the square balers just dropped bales in the field. I remember my helping one cousin and his brothers pick up bales by flinging them on top of a low-boy wagon. Getting the last tier of bales on the wagon didn't do anything for brotherly love due to his preference for big bales. That wagon would have been pretty heavy for the tractor and I don't know if the wagon had brakes. The land was pretty flat though.

I don't know why I haven't heard of new wagons with brakes. You'd think tractor hydraulics could run something. Horse drawn wagons tended to have mechanical brakes (to save the horses). It's the same issue with tractors. It takes a lot of effort to keep a load from pushing the puller down a hill, and the puller (horse or tractor) is much better at pulling than at stopping. Sort of like the 6 million-dollar man mentioned. How does he do it unless a foot is nailed to the ground?

new machine soon

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-20          55155

your right tom balers are big money, but neibor is going to let me us his old tools,he bought all new for this season.BUT the little 790 is not nearly enough tractor to run them.That means I have to wait for him in order to get it done.The new tractor thing is sort of a pipe dream for now but would be nice.the same neibor is selling a 4020 deere, that would probly be more ideal for me beings i would save thousands and still have a machine capable of the task.does not hurt to dream. we'll see what happens. ....

new machine soon

View my Photos
Murf

2003-05-20          55172

Around here a lot of the Hobby Farmers, and the commercial horse farm operators, use the old 'share-cropping' method. There is usually a farmer around willing to do the heavy part of haying, baling, in exchange for a 'share' of the yeild.

Your Deere is enough machine to do most of the work including stacking the bales a drawing the wagon, just don't overload it. If you get your neighbour to bale in exchange for some of the hay you're laughing, let someone else gat the depresiation on the baler and spend you money on other toys, err, ummm, I mean implements. Even if they won't do it for hay, they usually will do it for cash, then all you have to do is sell enough of the hay to cover the bill.

Best of luck. ....

new machine soon

View my Photos
harvey

2003-05-20          55218

Tom they are putting brakes on the "BIG" stuff. Almost all of the big liquid tanks are using them. Don't think I've seen balers with big wagons with them yet. The big square bales and big round bales seem to be taking over except for the small bales sold down state NYC area at the tracks.

On the side hills we used a shoe with a short chain and put it under the wagon tire and let it skid.

I still use this for brings large loads of fire wood out of the woods when I have to decend a fairly steep trail.

Plots as Murf mentioned I think you would be suprised at the willingness of a small farmer to help you out. Especially if you help him build some fence, true up his driveway (right up your alley :-)) worse case help him pick some stone out of his new seeding or just help unload hay wagons... ....

new machine soon

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-21          55234

Thanks Harvey. Makes sense and I would have guessed big stuff had brakes. I can't see how they'd work otherwise. Quite awhile ago I mentioned a local story of somebody helping move a big double-wide with a utility tractor. Started up easily enough but wouldn't stop going down a a fairly gentle slope on a drive. The trailer pushed itself and tractor across a highway. The tractor started down the ditch on the other side and something on the tractor or trailer hitch broke so they had the trailer across the highway and no way to move it. Owner of the trailer worked for the highway department. Must have been a fun time. Last spring I saw some really big lime spreaders. I didn't notice if they had single of tandem axles but the spreaders with full hoppers would be very heavy. I guess those things would just have to have their own brakes.

I sure do see some huge round bales going by here on transport flatbeds. They probably weigh about a ton and I guess nobody who uses them has the little barn-yard utility tractors for that kind of work any more.

Yes, work sharing is the way it's done around here. Country people just find ways of getting what's needed done. Somebody around there probably has a baler.

new machine soon

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-21          55249

well sure they all have balers, like I stated I could use one but dont have a big anough machine.would like to be able to do it when i'm ready and not have to wait for them to get time. they stay pretty busy on there own land beings they all have several hundred acers.It always seem that when there done with one chore there a day behind on another. ....

new machine soon

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2003-05-25          55505

If it is haying you want to do the JD 5205 is the only choice. If you have a mower and a rake usually someone will custom bale the hay for you. Consider the T-165 drum mower can be purchased NEW for $1,800 and it will last a lifetime. You can mow in the rain or any other condition. It has the capacity to mow as fast as you can ride the tractor. A 3 point hay rake new is $395. With this you are in business for either square or round bales. ....

Link:   Carter & Carter Machinery, Hay Equipment Headquarters

Picture Link
Mowers Field and Finish new machine soon

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login