Go Bottom Go Bottom

How tight should blades be

View my Photos
Don M
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-14          37407

We have had an older FMC rotary brush mower for 30 years or so. The blades will pivot if they hit something but they won't move if you just push on them by hand.
So now we bought a new generic-type unit at the farm store. Its blades just pivot around like crazy. It makes funny noises when running and I'm thinking that the blades might be pivoting back and forth a little on each rotation depending on what they are cutting through at a given moment. Should they be a little tighter, or totally free to pivot with no resistance???

-Don M

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-14          37408

They should pivot freely, but there should not be any significant play in the bolts. Centrifical force should keep them out at their extent. At speed it would take a sigificant force to move the blades back. If they are making noise something may be out of balance. ....

View my Photos
lpdcac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-15          37447

Check your gearbox to make sure its filled with the right amount and type of gear oil. I've heard that some new units are filled with a lighter "breakin" oil [can't verify that just now]. An older, 48" Howse we own makes a lot of noise that lessens with a heavier weight of lube in the g'box [probably got a lot of wear; we bought it used with a tractor]. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login