Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rhino vs Bush Hog cutter

View my Photos
jwy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-16          36401

For several years I used a Howse cutter then swithched to a Rhino. I got (I think) a much better, cleaner cut from the Rhino than the Howse (it used to be called HICO). Now I am thinking about a new cutter and I have looked at the Bush Hog (SQ600). Anyone have experience with Rhino and Bush Hog and can offer some comparisons on the two. In my area the Rhino is slightly cheaper in price than the Bush Hog, but not much. A dealer told me today that the Rhino SE5 has a 65HP gear box. I believe the SQ600 has a 60HP gear box. Any thoughts. A Howse (5') is about $525 (I think it has a 40HP box), the Rhino is $760 and the SQ600 is $800. I use mine in my business so it is used a lot.
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rhino vs Bush Hog cutter

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2002-03-16          36405

You say the Howse used to be called HICO? Actually, the letters HICO are still in use and stand for Howse Implement Company. I'm using a Howse rotary cutter now, have owned Bush Hog in the past, but no personal experience with the Rhino, although they have a good reputation. The Bush Hog is definitely better quality (and more expensive) than the Howse, however, for my current use the Howse is quite satisfactory. ....

Rhino vs Bush Hog cutter

View my Photos
jwy

2002-03-17          36433

You are exactly right. I think they used to actually paint the letters HICO on the side of the cutter. Now, I believe they print HOWSE. Thanx for the come back. ....

Rhino vs Bush Hog cutter

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-17          36437

As with any implemant manufacture Howse has light and heavy duty rotary cutters. I admit that I have only seen the light duty cutters for sale, but was suprised to see the heavier cutters in the web the other day.
I thought the new Woods look quite well built. The newest style is not on the web yet. I had not thought that they were worth the money before.
I have a Bushhog 287 which is the medium duty mower. It does an nice job on my fields. Most commercial applications (road side mowers) here go for the heavy BushHogs. If you are only getting a couple of years from the mower then the you might need a stronger mower at least step up to the medium duty. You may be able to get the med duty Howse for the same money.
Peters ....

Link:   Howse

Picture Link
Mowers Field and Finish Rhino vs Bush Hog cutter

Rhino vs Bush Hog cutter

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-18          36456

I know I'm not contributing to a comparison of tractor rotary cutters here. Thought I comment anyway. A couple of years ago I saw sort of an ultimate road ditch cutter in use by a contractor who was working for a municipality near here. The municipality maintains a number of long rural roads that run through the bush.

The cutter was a sizable cutting head mounted on arms that operated something like a backhoe but fast. The cutter was mounted on the back of maybe a 5-ton truck that had sizable counterweights opposite the cutter. I saw it in operation zipping through sizable saplings, limbing larger trees and zinging down along the ground to take out ground cover. I think it could work at least 15' from the side of the truck. Pretty amazing thing to see in operation, but I don't think I'll run out and buy one.

Rhino vs Bush Hog cutter

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-18          36463

Tom;
You can get the hydraulic mowers on arms for the 3 pt hitch, look at the web sites above. A friend of mine with a dairy farm up the road has one.
Here they use a 4 wheel drive tractor like a skidder with a remote control and a long remote control arm like the space shuttles. On the end of the arm is a circular saw. The operator standing 30-60 ft from the tractor can cut up to 40 ft up the trees and through the jungle. Kudzu attack!!! ....

Rhino vs Bush Hog cutter

View my Photos
CCImports

2003-02-21          49749

THe Rhino was the first cutter to have the rounded rear style. Both Landpride and Bush Hog changed and copied Rhino. Alamo Group is the #1 sell of cutters in the world. The boys from Texas just do it better that the Bama boys. ....

Link:   Rhino Rotary Cutters

Picture Link
Mowers Field and Finish Rhino vs Bush Hog cutter

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login