Go Bottom Go Bottom

removing bush hog blades

View my Photos
Harry L.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-03          36031

I recently mowed an abandoned field, hitting rocks, trees, etc with my SQ 720. The blades have gotten a good work over and now need sharpening. But I am having trouble getting the blades off. On one side, I cannot even remove the nut, using a pipe wrench and a 3 foot cheater pipe for leverage. On the other blade, I can get the nut off but then cannot budge the bolt.

Any suggestions on what I need to do?

Harry L. Cooperstown, NY.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

removing bush hog blades

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2002-03-03          36032

Harry, I'm afraid that is not an unusual situation. As a result, a lot of folks use an angle grinder to sharpen the blades a bit without removing them. Personally, I remove mine, but I have a good air impact wrench that I use. Alternatives are to heat the nut and bolt with a torch, use a longer cheater pipe on the pipe wrench, and then a hammer and drift pin, if necessary to drive that bolt out. ....

removing bush hog blades

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-04          36051

Harry, we have the same problem with our bush-hogs in commercial operation. The rather simple solution we came up with (forget anti-seize compounds, etc., they don't help in this case) was to buy a very large, robust nut-splitter and a quantity of replacement nuts and bolts. In bulk the nut, bolt, lock-washer and cotter pin cost very little relative to the labour cost of fighting with a seized bolt. The other thing is to have several sets of blades, in our case they are $26 a pair for brand new OEM blades. This way when the blades get beat up or, worse still, out of balance, they can just be swapped out in minutes. Using this method blades can be sharpened when it's convenient, not in the middle of a job. Best of luck. ....

removing bush hog blades

View my Photos
Harry L.

2002-03-04          36075

Thanks for the help. I will try hammering the bolt out first and then cutting off and replacing.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login