Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 770 sidehill stability with 513 rotary cutter

View my Photos
Dave
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-07-31          30531

I have a JD 770 4WD with a GB 260 FEL, R1 tires on non-reversible wheels with liquid ballast in the rear and a 513 rotary cutter.When mowing sidehills it feels unstable. I keep the loader bucket as low as possible at all times. Would this rig be more stable in this situation with the FEL (900lbs) removed and front weights installed? If so, how much weight should I put up front? The dealer said that the loader on the tractor configuration is fine if the bucket stays below the hood line and that going with weights on the front will not really be any better. I can turn the front wheels around for a wider track on the front axle. The dealer suggested that this may help.I'm sure that the tractor has more stability than I have nerve but I want to be as safe as possible.Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
MarkS

2001-07-31          30536

I own a NH TC40D witha 16la front end loader. I know this isn't a Deere, but I am positive it is much more stable on hillsides with the loader removed, and I haven't added any front weights. I started to mow the dam on my lake with a brush hog, and after the first pass I decide to remove the loader. It was definately more stable, and I had the bucket practically hitting the ground. I would recommend moving the wheels to the farthest possible outward position. I did this with my tractor and it made a huge difference. As you stated, I'm sure they can handle alot more hillside than I'm willing to tolerate, but safety is always the best answer. ....

View my Photos
RoyJackson

2002-01-28          35045

The bucket may be low, but you've still got the rest of the loader fairly high up...high enough to raise your center of gravity over a tractor without the FEL.
I've not dropped the FEL off my JD 670 yet, but since I feel the same "tippiness" you do, it'll be off before mowing season starts! ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-29          35063

I had a 750 with a bushhog loader and filled turf tires. The machine never felt stable going across the slope. I would take it to the max and then be ready to turn down the hill, as my land in Kentucky was all hill. I developed a pattern were I could mow going down the hill.
I know have a JD955 with R4 tires, unfilled. There is a definite improvement with the removal of the loader weight on the slopes I have. With the loader on the 955 feels much like the 750 did on the same slopes. I do not have any fixed weights to add but only use the finish mower with it as my 7' BushHog is for a separate tractor.
From my experience I normally test the tractors for the side hill stability when I go to get a new one. The NHTD40 was the most stable tractor I have tested, without ballast and with the wheels in. I don't know if there is any comparison with the 770. I assume the 770 is on the same frame as the 750-790, but never have taken a close look.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login