Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rotary mower cutting quality

View my Photos
John Mc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-07-14          30076

I am in the market for a 5 ft rotary mower. I've followed several threads here about blade sharpening, mower leveling, etc., but still have a question: Does any particular brand tend to make a cleaner cut in grass than others, and if so does it still hold up well in brush (mostly 1/2 to 3/4 inch saplings, with occasional use up to 1 inch).A local dealer was pushing the medium duty Woods for my use. He caimed that the higher deck (larger airspace above the blades) helped the quality of cut when mowing grass... something about creating a vacuum or some favorable air flow. Anything to this? (He is also a Bush Hog dealer, and was recommending the Woods over a comparable, and more expensive Bush Hog).Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-14          30080

John, Sounds like your dealer is one of the better ones around. Woods bushhogs are probably the best made. I do not own one, I have a JD MX6 but after having a few hours under my belt hogging one gets to know what is best. I've seen a woods at work and they are good, I should have bought one. They are more stoutly
made than most I've seen and worth the $$'s. Bush hogging blades are not supposted to be sharp, they're bluntness allows them to last longer in heavy material like 1/2 inch or 2 inch. brush (whatever your particular bushhog is designed for)BUT, when I'm going to be cutting just tall grass or what I call a light field I (dress the blades) I take my 4" hand grinder and sharpen the edge just a bit and that makes a better cut. David ....

View my Photos
Alan L. Lewis

2001-07-14          30088

After cutting acres of brush and now just grass I can say that my Rhino does a surprisingly good job cutting the grass smooth and even. Sharpening the blades (not real sharp like a mower) helped alot. For a given 3" or so height and mowing speed (fast) my cutter leaves fewer "survivors" than my finish mower. Of course if I slow down the finish mower cuts prettier, but for all but the most "lawn like" areas I've very satisfied with the results from the cutter. How it compares to other brands I don't know, as this is my first cutter and I've had it 2 years now. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-15          30100

Most mowers are relatively simple boxes. The keys to look at are rigidity of the mower deck, quality of the transmission housing, method of blade/PTO disconnection - shear pin or clutch, stump jumping ring, blades and strength of 3 point assembly.
Most of the transmissions are comparable, some manufacture will provide lower HP rated transmissions, which you need to watch.
The mower deck needs to provide proper bracing for rigidity. The edge of the deck and gauge of metal are critical for long life, especially if you have a lot of sand that can cut the deck.
Higher priced machines have slip clutches rather than simple shear pins.
Lower priced machines have a small or no stump jumping ring.
Temper in the blades dictates how long a sharpening will last and how easy it is to sharpen. Poor steel will not hold a sharpening very long, but will be easy to sharpen. Very hard steel is difficult to sharpen. Poorly tempered steel could be brittle and crack. In general the sharper the blade the better the cut. The blades on a BushHog do not spin fast enough to get much lift.

View my Photos
John Mc

2001-07-15          30101

Thanks for the tips, guys. The bad news is on my last trip to the dealer, he was out of stock and can't get any more from Woods in the near future. (Though if I make it clear that my interest in the new tractor I've been looking at is contingent on him supplying all the attachments as well, I'm sure he'll get motivated to find one).

View my Photos
John Mc

2001-07-15          30102

Peters: you mentioned that some Rotary Mowers have a small stump jumping ring (or none at all). How big is appropriate for a medium duty 5 ft mower? I haven't looked underneath the Woods yet.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login