Go Bottom Go Bottom

prop stuck to tractor

View my Photos
ladyalone
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-06-03          178805

I am having trouble getting the prop released from the tractor, it is the push button type, but it will not come off after the button is pushed in. What am i doing wrong any ideas i am trying to keep my land cut alone b/c my husband died last year. Any ideas wood be great.

ladyalone

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

prop stuck to tractor

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-03          178807

Are you referring to the PTO shaft, the spinning tube that goes from the back of the tractor to turn a rear implement?

If so, make sure the tractor won't move and that the PTO is disconnected or in neutral. Wear gloves; if the fitting was properly lubricated the area will be greasy. Push and hold the release button all the way in against the spring. Just try to jiggle the fitting while pulling it back. One finger holds the button in, both hands wrestle the fitting Once you move it just a half inch you can pull it all the way off easily. A pry-bar, hammer-taps, and choice swear-words can help with that initial dislodging.

If you don't have enough room you can disconnect it (same method) from the mower first and get the mower out of the way.

For the future, not only is there at least one "zerk" (grease fitting) on the yoke (both ends), but the spindle it slides over should be liberally greased as well. You can guess why.

Another minor trick. The shaft is in two pieces, joined in the middle where one square shaft (connected to the tractor) slides into another (connected to the attachment). Pull the attachment end right off. That way, the part you're trying to get off the tractor will be a little shorter and lighter to handle. (When reassembling, also grease where the one shaft fits into the other. The effective total shaft length has to change as the implement moves.) ....

prop stuck to tractor

View my Photos
ladyalone
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-06-03          178809

Thanks so much i will try everything. I have already droped the brush hog so i will see what happens.
Thanks ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login