Go Bottom Go Bottom

Seals and Shear Pins

View my Photos
Roger L.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-21          16466

Well, its almost time to pull out the Woods bush hog and mow the baseball field. One of the things that the cutter needs this year is new seals on the gear box, and I was wondering if others have had to do this as well? I'm also curious about shear pins. What do you all use for shear pins? I've always used grade 2 (soft) 3/8" diameter bolts. I buy a whole bag of them from my farm store each year. Frankly, I have no idea what Woods - or anyone else - recommends for the purpose.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Seals and Shear Pins

View my Photos
RickB.

2000-05-21          16482

The only recommendation for shearbolt spec you should heed is from Woods. Your cutter driveline is designed to use a specific hardness of bolt, and you should find out what that is. If you use too hard a bolt, damage can easily occur that should be prevented. Using too soft a bolt will result in unnecessary failures, which are annoying and will wear out the bores where the bolt goes, causing more frequent and unwarranted failures. Output shaft seal repair on the typical Woods gearbox can be tough, as the blade bar can be VERY difficult to remove, and the position of the bar on the shaft sets the bearing preload on reassembly. Get the Woods seal/shim kit rather than matching the seal at a bearing house, and follow the directions. It is a really stupid design, IMHO, and I wouldn't own one just for that reason. An option is using grease in the box instead of gearlube, if the seal is only weeping moderately, and your cutter use is moderate. Your Woods dealer can give you the shearbolt spec, and get the seal kit for you. Remember to provide model & serial #.Happy cutting! ....

Seals and Shear Pins

View my Photos
Jack D

2000-05-22          16494

Roger, for what it's worth, I now have a "5" shear bolt in my Woods, and have only had it "shear" once in 3 years when I hit a mound of dirt -- I've "bush hogged" a lot of stuff, including 1-inch small trees, etc. w/o any damage to the shaft or housing holes. I would guess anything below the 5 would be ok, but at "2" I'd replacing a lot. ....

Seals and Shear Pins

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-05-22          16500

Whatever you use for shear pins do not try my little experiment. Broke #2 bolt, none left in tool box. there was unfortunatly a draw pin which fit perfectly. Installed pin, finished job, forgot about it. Nephew borrows tractor, hits stump. end result, anybody got a Warner gearbox that will fit a 48" Danco brush hog. ....

Seals and Shear Pins

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-05-23          16529

Thanks for the advice. Rick, your comments on the seal design has me interested in looking at an exploded diagram. Sounds like a fun job. I'll take your advice and look into a Woods seal and shim kit.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login