Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rotary mower skills

View my Photos
droz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-19          16429

OK. I now have a 6' rotary mower on my Kubota L4310. I have never used one before and since it is a King Kutter, the instructions are useless. Should the single rear wheel touch the ground when cutting? Should the mower be supported almost totally by the 3-point hitch? I seems rather bouncy that way and will cut divots quickly if I am not careful. Any other clues would be helpful. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rotary mower skills

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-19          16433

droz, adjust the height you want with the rear wheel, then adjust the height of the front of the cutter with the 3-point (higher in front if you want to mulch the material more, higher in the rear to cut faster or to take less horsepower, or level like I usually do). Then adjust the top link to match what you have done. I'm not sure I'm explaining this where you can easily understand, but yes, you want that rear wheel always rolling on the ground (unless you're picking the whole thing up with the 3-point to back over the top of heavier brush). You can adjust the 3-point so that you simply let it all the way down and the top link will keep the front of the cutter from going on down to the ground. ....

Rotary mower skills

View my Photos
RegL

2000-07-13          17917

Bird,thanks for the info about setting up mower for field mowing,that you posted some time ago.Anyone i have ever talked to ,set the front lower than the rear of the mower.The owner's manual for the mower also recommended that.I suspect thats because,like you said,less horse power required and easier on the equipment.The fields i mow are fairley small and close to the custermer's houses,so i'm always trying to get the best job i can.I took your advise and set my mower up level and could not believe the differnce.I have the best looking mowing jobs in town.I could feel the tractor working harder but no great problem,and when i was done,there were no sprigs standing as there usually is. ....

Rotary mower skills

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-07-13          17938

RegL, just glad I could help. Sometimes we find by experimenting that things work better for our particular use if we do it a little differently from what the manual says. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login