Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bush Hog breaking shear pins

View my Photos
tom
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-13          16251

I recently bought a TC33D (33HP) and the dealer "threw in" a Bush Hog Razorback rotary mower for $495. My problem is that I have broken about six shear pins mowing 2" or less brush. I have to admit I have hit larger pieces but for the most part it is the 2" stuff or less. Is this a common problem or do I have too much horsepower for the "Razorback" or what?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2000-05-14          16263

It's a problem I think. I hear stories of people who have variable sized bush breaking dozens of pins. A cutter with a slip clutch is a solution, but I hear slip clutches are a pain to adjust.

Shear pins protect both the implement and the PTO. I believe that different grades of pins are available. A higher grade of pin might be appropriate for your PTO, but at the risk of breaking the cutter. A good question is whether the cutter is rated for 2" material. If not, then the pins are just doing the job of protecting the cutter.

Your dealer should be able to tell you the rating of the cutter. Of course, there's the chance that somebody put a light pin in the shaft, and a heavier pin would be OK. Dealer should be able to sort that one out too.

Most likely, the cutter has a duty rating that is too light for the bush. Replacing pins is a pain. But look at it this way: Get a box of pins, go slow and perhaps raise the cutter a bit. Maybe even bush crash and buzz some of the heavier stuff with a chain saw. When you're done, you probably won't have 2" bush ever again.

View my Photos
Scott T.

2000-05-15          16295

That sounds like some heavy duty cutting. For big stuff like that I raise the cutter about 1 -1 1/2 feet off the ground, back over the brush slowly, then lower the cutter and go forward slowly.

Good luck,
Scott T. ....

View my Photos
Doug

2000-05-15          16300

I have a Kubota 3010 with a bush hog SQ-72 and have never broken a shear pin and I cut 12 acres of 2"- 2 1/2" brush about 8 months ago. I also have made trails through the woods and occasionally hit a big stump or rock (acidentally, of course) and have never hurt the mower or the shear pin. I would say that somthing is wrong with your set up and they should look at it for you. Good luck, Doug ....

View my Photos
tom

2000-05-15          16308

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like I need to talk to the dealer at the very least.

Tom ....

View my Photos
DAVE SIMPSON

2000-05-15          16318

Tom, I had the same problem with this same Bush Hog behind a JD1070 38hp and found out that I wasn't running the PTO fast enough. I started at 1500 engine rpm and those shear pins snaped off like tooth picks as soon as I hit any thing over an 1 1/2 in. When I told the fellow that I had borowed the cutter from what was happening he said "y'a gotta spin 'em pretty good to make 'em cut".I cranked the rpm up to 2500 and never broke another pin and I cut 2 1/2 in.stuff with ease.Just make sure that there is no one standing near you while you're working. It is surprising how far stuff will fly out from under thoes cutters. DAVE!! ....

View my Photos
tom

2000-05-17          16362

Thanks Dave, I will try that. I don't know what RPM i was using but I will pay attention now.
Tom ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login