Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 pt Link Rubbing

View my Photos
dkheckmanl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-31          111765

I have a NH TC 24 with a 48" KK rotary cutter. I mowed yesterday for the first time this year and I noticed that when I am mowing across any slope at all the cutter slides to the lower side of the slope causing the lower link of the 3 pt to rub swing over and rub against the tire. Actually it is the bolt head that attaches the lift link to the lower link that is rubbing against the tire tread. It is causing significant wear when mowing across the slope. I never noticed it rubbing last year the only time I mowed. Any suggestions on how I can prevent it from rubbing other than to try to avoid any cross slope mowing.

Dave in Idaho

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3 pt Link Rubbing

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-31          111768

That is the anti-sway bar that controls the sideways flex of the 3 point. There should be a turn-buckle attached to each side of the lower lift arms. By tightening this you can usually lockout most, if not all of the sway.

You should remember to loosen this up again for other applications where some sway is required or acceptable. ....

3 pt Link Rubbing

View my Photos
Oliver

2005-05-31          111774

With what kind of implements would you want sway? Just curious... ....

3 pt Link Rubbing

View my Photos
BrendonN

2005-05-31          111779

In response to the question about when sway would be desired: one application that comes to mind is with a row-crop cultivator. By having some free movement in the three point arms, you can make steering corrections without having the cultivator get off the row (the result of which is often refered to as "cultivator blight"). On the other hand, most landscaping type equipment (blade, mower, etc.) would work better with nearly all the play taken out. ....

3 pt Link Rubbing

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-01          111795

If you are pulling any kind of an implement that has ground contact like a plow, disk, etc. some looseness should be in the system to allow for steering corrections and/or gentle turns. I also allow looseness with a back blade or box scraper. ....

3 pt Link Rubbing

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-01          111801

As already stated; you want some degree of give with the rock shaft arms but not too much. If you have already set the sway braces to the minimum amount of sway and you are still getting tire rub; if your machine allows, you may want to try adjusting tire width. On slopes the widest possible tire width is desireable anyway. I have a similar problem with my 4410 as the tire width is for the most part not adjustable. My sway braces are sliding links with lock pins which allow some flex but I have to be very careful about the heads of the pins rubbing the tires in some cases. Poor design on Deere's part. ....

3 pt Link Rubbing

View my Photos
tw-20ford

2005-06-02          111875

there should be a pin on the the 3pt with a chain on it. ajust this pin so it doesnt rubb. good luck. ....

3 pt Link Rubbing

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2005-06-03          111890

Thanks for the feedback. I have been out of state since I posted earlier in the week. My tractor does have the anti sway bars with the turnbuckle. I will try to adjust them tomorrow. I visited a friend in Vancouver, WA yesterday. He has a NH TC 45 that has sway bars with the pins for adjustment rather the turnbuckles. Must be a feature of the bigger tractors. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login