Go Bottom Go Bottom

Steiner 430max belt problems

View my Photos
bzvine
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-07-27          184446

I have replaced the belt between the PTO sheave and the double idler several times this summer. I am using a B-39 belt from CarQuest. Can someone tell a novice how to set clearances for the belt guard or any other tips about the PTO belt.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-07-30          184474

Welcome to TP.

Is not the belt guards mounted in a fixed position? Could you be talking about a tension pulley for the belt? What is happening to the best to cause so often replacement? Breaking, slipping or shredding?

KT ....

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2012-08-11          184621

1st you must make sure the attachment has the correct belt,if it is wrong then the tractor pto to double idler will be wrong.This means the attachment belt could get tight before the pto to idler does,or just the opposite.My manual says to adjust with pto on,and you get 2 1/4 to 2 1/2" in between the inside of the belt at the clutch idler pully.Hope this clears up your problem.Eddie ....

View my Photos
neberly

2012-09-01          184781

#1 If the belt is jumping out of the pulley at the engine be sure that the guard is down far enough. I have a 420 and had to bend the guard down a bit to make it run close enough

#2 If you are having adjustment problems make sure you get the B-39 belt from the dealer. Sometimes in the past some of the will fit belts were not quite the right profile.

#3 If it is shredding, the problem in the past was that the Steiner brand of belt had Kevlar in because we tightened from the back side of belt. The will fit belts from Auto suppliers did not have that in and the belt would crack and shred

4: Make sure your belt idler is moving freely. If it is not you are going to have nothing but problems.

Note: EddieB can verify for me. I was a former Steiner employee in the parts department and I run nothing but Steiner brand belts on my Steiner. They run more $$ but from my experience are a bit more trouble free until they wear a bit ....

View my Photos
eddieb1965

2012-09-01          184783

Good to hear from you neberly,hope all is well with you in Ohio. Masy Lepley has also been a wealth of info when I need it,just ask for Jon Herman.Jon knows the product as well as neberly.I think if you go by this thread,your belt problems will be gone. Eddie ....

View my Photos
neberly

2012-09-02          184784

thanks for the compliments Eddie. I have found John at Mast Lepley has more current knowledge than I. I even go to him with questions. He is more up to date on the newer Steiners than I am.

Mast Lepley in my opinion is one of the premium dealers in the Steiner net work past and present. Hope they keep it up.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login