Go Bottom Go Bottom

hydraulic leak

View my Photos
Neven Mikic
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-16          26771

I'm not sure of the answere but when my loader bucket is left in the up position of the ground unloaded for even an hour I've noticed that the bucket is a little lower then where it was could this be due to a leak or something else? The tractor is 1year old and I love it haven't noticed any fluid anywhere and the loader works great.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

hydraulic leak

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-04-16          26776

Neven, if you have no external leaks; i.e., not losing any hydraulic fluid, then you either have oil leaking past the seals in the cylinders or else it's leaking back through the control valve. A certain amount of "leak down" is usually considered to be "within specs." So it depends on how fast it's leaking down; it may or may not be "normal." ....

hydraulic leak

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-04-16          26794

Hello Bird, I agree. Most all loaders leak internally past the seals or past the spool valves. There will be a spec for this from the manufacturer although it can be hard to find. It is usually so many inches drop in so much time with a specified load in the bucket. You may be surprised at how much drop is considered "normal".
If it really annoys you then it is possible to track it down and keep replacing seals and valves till you got some parts that are really tight. I lucked out on my JD, the bucket will stay right where I leave it for hours if not days. Two other tractors I know of: one falls at about one inch every ten minutes and the other about an inch hour. I'd consider the first one to be too much and the second to be average....maybe a bit better. All of these are without any load in the bucket. Oddly enough, on both of them it is the arms that are falling. None of the buckets are rotating. ....

hydraulic leak

View my Photos
TomG

2001-04-17          26799

Yikes! Here I am as the safety police again. Just a passing phase I hope. Buckets shouldn't be left up. Kids pull levers, hoses rupture, and buckets come crashing down. Or, you just walk under them and whack your head--same idea with the 3ph. Anyway, leaving things up is a 'no no' I think virtually everywhere equipment is used commercially. Murf's reminder about seat belts and hand throttles should be noted as well--it's a good idea to avoid using hand throttle or cruise when possible. Guess I'm lucky too, even though I never have opportunity to find out since I always sit everything down. Neither the 3ph nor loader leak down appreciably on my mid-80's tractor. ....

hydraulic leak

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-04-17          26806

Roger, this little problem was the only thing my 1995 B7100 ever went back to the dealer for; twice. Even with the engine running, the FEL would gradually drop and if I was mowing or tilling, about every 5 minutes I'd have to raise the bucket a few inches, and the bucket would gradually dump, too. The first time it went back, they replaced the seals in the cylinders. The second time, they just put all 4 new cylinders on it (under warranty) and that fixed it. ....

hydraulic leak

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-04-17          26807

Tom, I hope it is just a phase too! Of course one shouldn't leave a bucket raised and unattended. Probably not even raised if kids are about. But if you won't raise the bucket at all, then you are going to have trouble using it for any work. After you make that decision, its just a matter of how long and how often. ....

hydraulic leak

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-04-17          26817

This thread brings up an interesting situation indeed, while I agree with the principle that a certain amount of leak-down is normal, I don not agree that it should be so much that it constitues a nuisance. We also experience this problem, more so as the machines approach the end of their useful working life. The solution we came up with was a simple one, as most good ideas are, and based on the loaders standard 'equipment'. Almost every loader made today comes equipped with a pair of cylinder blocks which alow the cylinders to be jammed with the loader in the up position to allow someone to safely work below. We NEVER use them for this pupose, instead removing the loader and working with it on its side on the ground. All that is required is to find the height you 'normally' raise the loader to, measure carefully and cut these blocks to the appropriate length. When not using the loader merely raise it past the set height, flip the blocks down and release the hydraulic pressure till the loader rests on the blocks, rather than on hyd. fluid in the cylinders, your machine will thanks you for it. Almost as simple as gravity.......Best of luck. ....

hydraulic leak

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-17          26819

Murf, I have an easy fix for a similar problem. When parked for a long time the stabilizer arms on my backhoe would tend to drop a little due to a slight fluid leak-by in the control valves. I park this machine in a very narrow storage garage and after two or three weeks the stabilizers would drop to the point where I couldn't get by the tractor. Have to crawl over the arms, start the tractor, lift the arms, etc. I found a worn-out nylon load strap in my garage that was almost exactly the right length and the steel hooks went right in holes already on the stabilizer pads. Problem solved. ....

hydraulic leak

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2001-04-17          26820

Neven, in keeping with Bird and Roger's postings I'd like to also advise that you check your pressure relief valves. If, having tested everything else you should also check EVERY relief valve, if you have an open hydraulic system. Just one bad or leaking valve could cause the problem you describe. It is also a lot cheaper to replace than all of the cylinders. ....

hydraulic leak

View my Photos
TomG

2001-04-18          26841

Roger: Yes, I hope my wording also is a passing phase. When I perfect my levitation act I won't have to worry about lifting the bucket anymore. However, I guess if I levitated a load and forgot about it, then I'd have to worry about my mind leaking down--it does anyway, and doesn't take much of a load either, some might say. I do get into safety policing sometimes. I'm still a new enough owner to recall very clearly how many basic safety procedures aren't mentioned in operator's manuals, and how many times I placed at risk without knowing it. A few safety comments on this and other boards a couple years ago may have preserved my life and limb. It's not exactly an exciting subject, but believe me, many new owners don't know safety basics or have reliable operating instincts. A quick web search will find a lot of tractor safety resources, and it's a good idea to study on it some. I don't figure we're differing here, and I am aware that the safety subject gets to be a real 'pain between the eyes' in a hurry. ....

hydraulic leak

View my Photos
Neven Mikic

2001-04-18          26881

Thanks for the help and I was just wondering it doesn't seem to be a problem.No I do not leave the loader up but on one occasion I did notice the drop so I left it up on purpose so I could see if it dropped. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login