Go Bottom Go Bottom

Backhoe Rodeo Time Trials

View my Photos
Petrops
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-21          44060

Well how do you choose? I am getting ready to buy a 3730 or a 4730 and want to mount (Frame) a backhoe on it. Looks like it is coming down to Woods, Kubota and Bradco. Now I know myself well enough to know that I will spend $7 to $9 k on a backhoe, and if it is a royal pain to take on and off, I will use it less than if it is a relatively easy task. I have heard all kinds of claims about the quality of these hoes and I am at the point where I believe that all will meet my needs. The question is: How tough are they each to get on and off ... Which is the easiest and does this convenience come at a price such as wear and tear on the frame? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG2

2002-10-22          44069

No experience myself and I'm probably the only person who's happy with my puny 3ph hoe. It has done what I needed for over four years and I do avoid getting into power trips with it. Ease of mounting and lack of dealing with a permanent sub-frame on the tractor is the main reason I went for it.

I think I'd start off looking at the Kubota hoe. A less generic mount is likely to be designed for ease of use than after market hoes that are intended for many makes and models. Many older sub-frame and after-market mounts require removal of the 3ph lower link arms, which I would be a royal pain to me. I think newer JD hoes don't require removal of the link arms and actually use them to lift the hoe onto its mounts. Maybe the Kubota mount is similar.

View my Photos
Petrops

2002-10-22          44070

Good point on the OEM vs. after market suitability Tom. It makes sense that the OEM mount would have fewer compromises required than an aftermarket mount. I hadn't heard about the JD being easier and that could cause me to think about going Green. Thanks ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-22          44080

It is nice to have a hoe specifically engineered to the tractor. ....

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-23          44112

I vote for WOODS. EASE OF SUBFRAME REMOVAL IS QUICK. I challenge anyone here I can have my B-2150 3 point arms, lift links and sways on or off in 3 minutes FLAT. Top link is off with 1 pin pull, 3 pin pulls on the subframe and a PTO pump sliding off PTO Shaft. I'm driving the tractor off the subframe in less than 10 minutes. MY SUBFRAME IS NOT ON THE TRACTOR, IT STAYS BOLTED TO THE BACKHOE AS ALL ARE I THINK!!!! Just make sure you get a TALL ROPS BAR!!! With blocking under the backhoe all one has to do in back up over the subframe and catch the U channels and do the dismount assembly in reverse. Total time on first try while talking to the neighbor and listening to Detroit Lions get beat? 20 minutes. WHY WOULD ANYBODY HASSLE WITH A 3 POINT BACKHOE IS BEYOND ME. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-24          44135

Most of the sub-frame probably stays with the hoe on newer models. Many of the older ones were a pain I hear.

I'll add inexpensive and available to my list of 3ph hoe virtues but that's not an avocation for anybody else. I'm not certain that I could even find a sub-frame model for my 1710. So, I got the hoe and tractor in time to trench for my underground electrical service before winter. Almost four years later, the hoe still does what I need.

I do around 3 to 4 light hoe projects a year and I would have difficulty paying about as much for a hoe as I did for the used 1710.

View my Photos
Captain B

2002-10-24          44142

I had a 3pt hitch mount Arps 7 and now have a subframe mounted JD8B. No question that the subframe mount is quicker on and off. One major proviso: there is a little art to go with the science of these things, i.e., you have to figure out the technique, not all of which is spelled out in the operators manual. ....

View my Photos
radman

2002-10-24          44146

I have a Bradco backhoe on my Kubota 3710. Once the mounting plates are precisely mounted, it is fairly quick to mount. Very fast to unmount. The mounting plates are the most difficult part to put on, but this only needs to be done once. 2 pins are used mount the hoe and these slide in easily once the hoe is on. The hoe is attached at four points but only uses 2 pins. The lift arms on my 3710 stay on if you do not use a pto/hydraulic kit. Time to put on about 5 minutes. Removes in 1 minute. Once mounted to the subframe it is very rigid and has absolutely no movement. ....

View my Photos
CHARTON2

2002-10-24          44147

I have a 2000- 3710 with the Wood 9000 with sub frame. I got 2years and 300 hours on the machine. I have had the hoe off once. It took me 45 mins to take off and 45 mins to reinstall. I recommend the subframe Vs 3ph. I do find, even with the PTO “extended power” pump, when running two pistons on the hoe it gets very sloooooow. I don’t know if there something wrong with but it’s slow.

Dave

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-10-24          44154

Dave,
The PTO Pump on your Wood's 9000 is made by Saur/Sunstrand See what the GPM rating is then compare with what Wood's recommendations are. I'm betting it may be the wrong pump. That backhoe should be SCARY fast. ....

View my Photos
CHARLTON2

2002-10-31          44500

Jeff, thanks I will check it.

Dave ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-11-05          44654

Guys,
I timed myself tonight removing my Wood's subframe mounted backhoe off my B-2150HST. I am happy to report I think we have a new record here. 2 minutes 25 seconds. I think I could be even quicker if I didn't have to get off the tractor a second time to slide the PTO pump off the PTO shaft. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-06          44661

That is quite a bit quicker than I change my 3ph hoe. In fact, I just finished rearranging implements for winter a few days ago. Between turning over the compost pit one last time and swapping implements I didn't get some drainage problem areas connected with a drainage ditch before dark.

Now the ground is frozen and I'll probably be chopping channels to the ditch next spring with an ax unless we get a thaw. Despite anything I may have said in the past may detract from things like quick-hitches and telescoping lower links. I've got to realize that if I had them, I wouldn't be thinking about ice chopping next spring.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login