Go Bottom Go Bottom

Part Prices

View my Photos
FarmerWannabe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-20          31110

I try to be good and support my local dealer but it is hard when they are not helpful and charge what seem to be very high prices. I realize I own an "import" so maybe I am just being cheap. I bought a small 2-3 inch metal threaded thing to attach my 3 point arm to the tractor and it was $11. Turns out I need another. Are there any online sites for ordering parts that also display schematic drawings so I can identify the part properly.I will still support my local dealer but there are a lot of parts I need to replace in the upcoming months and I feel like I am being gouged (without even a smile on their part).

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Part Prices

View my Photos
Rick

2001-08-20          31120

if it is a part for a ford or new holland tractor I would be glad to help I have parts books for all ....

Part Prices

View my Photos
TomG

2001-08-21          31128

High priced parts is the price owners pay for too many makes and models that last too long. Manufacturers have to keep an inventory of zillions of parts for umpteen models over several epochs. Many of the proprietary parts are extreme low volume items, and the production of them is almost custom made. It does run up the costs compared to automobiles. I grumble about parts prices, but I eventually think of the prices as insurance that I'll be able to order a part a decade of so from now. Never the less, a case can be made that manufacturers soften sticker shock by using parts margins to subsidize new purchase prices. Doesn't really make any difference though--parts prices from all manufacturers are about the same. Maintenance cost is just part of ownership and it's probably a good idea to budget a maintenance fund so that the softer sticker shock doesn't eventually turn into insolvency shock. ....

Part Prices

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-21          31140

Actually, a dealer told me that the lions share of the purchase price of a new unit goes to the manufacturer and finance costs. The only money a dealer really makes is from parts and service. Shop rates around here are about $75.00 / hour ($50.00 US) and dealer parts are 20-100% above aftermarket suppliers pricing. ....

Part Prices

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-21          31143

Murf it does get deeper than that. They have what they call competitive parts that you can buy at any type store. Those parts are often in the 10% price range and are the most often sold like your filters or engine kits. The 100% mark-up is normally on a special washer or o-ring, that type of part to order 1 they send you 10 so in order to make the profit you hope you can sell the rest before you have to do inventory or move them around. Those parts are normally non-returnable because they set it up with a minimum of $5.00 base for return so you sit on them. To special order a part for a customer and than want to return it normally costs 20% and the list goes on. Oh where is that green pasture! ....

Part Prices

View my Photos
Murf

2001-08-21          31144

Art, I apologize if I offended you in any way. I did not intend it to be a comprehensive recourse on retail practices. I was only intending to point out that a) of all the money you hand a dealer for a tractor, very little (as you well know) stays in their hands, and b) that a smart consumer(and dealers too) will watch for savings, buying from the lowest cost source. I regularly buy from my local dealer for higher prices than I could get elsewhere, however, by the time I paid an employee to drive further it would more than eat up any potential savings, so I pay for convenience (as I'm sure most do). I am ery fortunate in that my business does not require me to stock any inventory at all, and I sympathize with anyone who does. As a businessman I am painfully aware of the true 'cost' of carrying all that money on the shelves. All I have to pay for is the wages, equipment, fuel, travel expenses (since I am overseas right now on a job with 10 employees) and general overhead...... ....

Part Prices

View my Photos
Art White

2001-08-22          31180

Murf no offence was taken. Many people think it is all dealer profit and it isn't. I do see some things that I don't like to see dealers doing from time to time and that does offend me. We had a local city employee come in one day and he wanted a three pack of the trimmer head nuts. Well they come to us in singles and we sold them at the time for like a dollar. They were buying these three packs for nine dollars and change, and yes I always lost the bid to this dealer. We have another dealer that most always hand writes invoices, these hand written bills at this time scare many of our local farmers as they know he is adding 10 to 20% to his price to make up for a prior deal. Every deal should stand on it's own and people like these I would never want to deal with on my own. I don't know how the average buyer would ever find these things out before knowing this was the type of price gorging being done. ....

Part Prices

View my Photos
Rick

2001-08-22          31201

I am surprise he takes the time to write slips by hand. Todays business programs for dealers easily add 10,20 or even up to 100% to list price if the dealer wants the program to function that way. He may have another reason for hand slips does not make sense to do it just for that. ....

Part Prices

View my Photos
Art White

2001-08-23          31216

I know with our computers if we add or subtract it shows on the invoice. The systems we use are a product of the manufacturers or at least a by-product of sorts due to communications. ....

Part Prices

View my Photos
Murf

2001-08-23          31219

But I imagine hand-written invoices are very convenient when it comes to tax time...Try asking a pen to print out a list of sales like a computer would. Tax that! ....

Part Prices

View my Photos
Art White

2001-08-23          31223

It is one of the benifits of a small business. What normally happens is they use it to bump the prices for certain customers that they have disagreements with. We selling the same lines often get priced against one another and have seen there hand written prices with up to 300% increase on small parts. We even caught them bumping the price to us prior to the complementary dealer discount. Obviously we must bother there tail a little. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login