Go Bottom Go Bottom

REALLY Basic operating info

View my Photos
WallyB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-20          42680

Just took delivery on a 4110... I can actually drive the thing. :-) But I still consider myself a "tractor virgin" and I'm wondering if there are some sources for general operating info, tips, etc. Maybe a book or video? I've actually thought about "apprenticing" myself to some old farmer or something... Of course there's always good old trial and error. Any suggestions welcome!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
larry

2002-09-20          42688

Hi
First- Read the manual and do as it says
Second -start off slowly and take extra care on inclines etc
Before you know it will be just like riding a bike,but never take the tractor for granite always stay attentive & alert
Enjoy it ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-20          42690

I just did a web search on 'tractor safety' and there are many hits. I’d do some reading at these sites. There are probably lengthy discussions in the archives here that also make good reading. For example 'ballast' is a good topic, and also my first operating mistake although no injury or equipment damage happened. Tractors aren't as stable as might be thought. Tractors also drop and bang things together and takes getting used to regarding feet and fingers. There are fairly standard lists of dos and don'ts.

If you're in a cold climate, reading about winter operating tips in the archives would be good. There also are several winter tips discussions going on right now.

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-20          42693

Kinda busy right now so this will be short and to the point.

If you have a loader on that 4110....Rear ballast is important for saftey.

If you live in a cold climate....use anti-gel in the fuel when temps start to drop below 20 F.

Wear out the operators manual, the pages should be dog eared if used properly. ....

View my Photos
WallyB

2002-09-21          42713

Thanks, Guys... I'm probably enough of a chicken to stay out of trouble for a while. :-) I do have FEL, dealer and I discussed and arranged ballast (calcium chloride). I was, honestly, a little disappointed in the operator's manual. It does a good job with safety and basic "how to" but doesn't really offer much in the way of "tips" and applications. I'm sure a lot of it is common sense and thinking things through. "Let's see, I wanna... so I guess I should..."

What I'm looking for is (for example) an article I read a while ago that showed how to use a piece of pipe to hold up a metal fence post, then use the FEL to "drive" the post in.

Will do some searching, certainly and share anything neat that I find! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-21          42721

Wally: I did see a guy with a farm tractor using his loader to set his neighbour's mailbox post this spring. So, depending on you soil conditions, you might have some success, although you're likely to find that loaders may drive but they don't bang very well if the soil is hard.

One of the things that you're likely to notice is that loaders and 3ph's lift and lower in arcs rather than true verticals. What that means is that a loader would drive them in at an angle unless it's frequently adjusted. The bucket bottom may start perpendicular to the post at the start but would change as the bucket lowers. The curl could be adjusted to keep the contact perpendicular, and the post to bucket contact would move across the face of the bucket. The tractor may have to be repositioned. Maybe the article has solutions for this kind of thing.

One thing I'd keep in mind is that if the tractor is small, then the bucket will be fairly high to start an 8' post. That means that the post may be very close to the tractor grill. There might be some potential for pushing the post into the grill and rad.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-21          42730

Wally, I have a 4100, and I guarantee you that you are gonna need more than loaded tires to safely use the loader. If you didn’t get a separate manual for the loader, go get one. If you did, check the ballast section. Deere says to sling 700-900 pounds off the rear end in addition to the loaded tires. That's too much in my experience, but a 400# box blade would be about right. Just stick with us here and we will talk you through the learning period. Just post your questions one at a time on the web site and watch the info flow. ....

View my Photos
WallyB

2002-09-27          42978

Thanks,Mark. I failed to mention that I have a rock rake with a flip down blade on the rear. Finally got to play for a bit! :-) I even managed to get a couple of shovels full of dirt in the bucket without shoveling it in. LOL I had slightly better "luck" using the rear blade. Thankfully, no one was watching. :-) ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-27          42988

We have all had the same learning curve, but some are just too old to remember when it was. You want to see something ugly, watch me with my new backhoe. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2002-09-27          43003

Kubota dealers have a little book called the "Ten commandments of Tractor safety", I know you didn't buy one but a dealer near you might still give you one as it is a good place to start. I make it a point when working with "Virgins" to give them all the help I can. ....

View my Photos
dsg

2002-09-27          43007

Wally, Let people know where you live. Maybe someone in your area with a little more experience would let you hang around when they'er doing a project and give you some tips.

David ....

View my Photos
Jon Walsh

2002-09-29          43082

Try the book TRACTOR-LOADER-BACKHOE by Gary Ober. Published by Ober Publishing, 9514-9 Reseda Boulevard #478, Northridge, CA 91324,
ISBN 0-911785-00-0
This is a book that will even help you old timers. ....

View my Photos
WallyB

2002-09-30          43097

To respond to the suggestion... I'm in Maine. Some would say central, some would say north. Depends on where yer from, I guess. :-)Almost looking forward to snow as I suspect that will be good material for bucket practice. Snowblower will be rear mounted. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-30          43099

There are some recent comments on snowblowing in the archives. I wouldn't want to do without my hydraulic chute. However, if the tractor lacks a rear remote I've heard that, electric chute rotators are available. Possibly the mechanical rotators are OK but I doubt they'd be as convenient are precise. ....

View my Photos
dsg

2002-09-30          43126

Wally, I'm from Maine also. Click on my user name, If I'm close enough I'll do what I can to help.

David ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login