Go Bottom Go Bottom

Overheated TC33D Engine Rebuild how to Split

View my Photos
gotowin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-12-16          191650

This is a 1999 model with 356 hours showing.:) Was overheated to the point of engine shutdown.:( Was partly dismantled then the owner decided he was in over his head, and abandoned the repair leaving the tractor sit for three + years. I have recently acquired the tractor, have purchased I thought all the repair manuals, and am in the process of removing the engine. I have done older tractor splits, but nothing this new. My manual section 18 on the clutches references a sect. 72 for a tractor split. I do not have a section 72. Can someone help me out with that particular section 72 on splitting the tractor. This is a hydrostatic drive transmission which makes me a little uneasy about unbolting the engine and pulling it from the bell housing and clutch assembly.;-) Thanks for replies. gotowin

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gotowin

2014-12-16          191651

NH TC 33D as accquired ....

Picture Link
Parts and Repair Overheated TC33D Engine Rebuild how to Split

View my Photos
jobone
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-12-17          191656

Wow that is tough 356 hours is like brand new. A rebuild is usually after several thousand hours not hundreds. Almost all engine parts are going to be like new!

How far has the engine breakdown proceeded? Any possibility of repairing without splitting? ....

View my Photos
gotowin

2014-12-17          191661

Thanks for the quick reply. The engine is all exposed, head removed, the front axle assembly has been rolled out of the way. All electrics, hyd. lines, fuel lines, radiator, front frame, dash, fuel tank have been removed. Just a matter of hooking the engine to the lift, removing the engine to tranny bolts, and sliding the engine forward. I just talked with a mechanic at the local NH/Kubota dealer. He could not find the manual referencing a Sect. 72 either, but said it should separate after removing the bolts and breaking the adhesive seal that NH puts between the engine and tranny. He did note that a possible problem could be (since it has been sitting for three years) the clutch disc being frozen to the tranny input shaft. He said that would add 2+ hours labor to the separation.
Gotowin ....

View my Photos
gotowin

2014-12-17          191662

NH TC33 engine removal ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
gotowin

2014-12-17          191664

Got the engine pulled away from the rest of the tractor and now on the engine stand. No issues with separating from the tranny. The clutch disc was not rusted to the shaft.:) Now to begin disassembly of the engine and find out what repairs are needed. Had to modify my engine stand mounting hardware a little after I read that the crank has to come out the rear of the engine. I have a pic that I hope shows up in this post. ....

Link:   New Holland TC33D album

Picture Link

View my Photos
jobone
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-01-06          191796

Have you figured out what was wrong with the engine? ....

View my Photos
treeman

2015-01-06          191797

Some good pictures. I will be watching your progress. ....

View my Photos
gotowin

2015-01-07          191798

I don't know what happened to the post I put on here last evening.:-(

[Moderator]
Missing Post

I think I have.;-) The #1 front piston had gotten so HOT that Aluminum from the piston had started to transfer to the cylinder wall. This is what seized the engine.:( I had to scrape away aluminum with my pocket knife from the cylinder wall in order to remove the piston. I just today took the engine block, pistons, and head to the machine shop. First to check for cracks (I couldn't see any), then to see how much damage has been done to the #1 cyl. bore. Good possibility that if the block is not cracked, it will need to be bored +.020 or worst case +.040. I don't think or am aware of cyl. sleeves being an option on this engine.
A bit of advice:--- Guys/gals when the temperature guage, idiot light indicates things are getting hot-- [SHUT THE TRACTOR DOWN]. These kinds of repairs are expensive.

[/Moderator]

Anyway-- Yes, I think I have discovered what the problem was/is. the engine overheated to the point that aluminum from #1 piston had started to transfer to the cylinder wall. This is what caused the engine to seize. I just yesterday took the block, head, and pistons to the machine shop. After a brief look the machinist told me that simply honing likely will not be sufficient for the #1 front cylinder wall. He did not rule out the possibility of boring and sleeving. Their fist mission is to check the block and head for any unseen cracks. Pistons seem to be available in +.020", and +.040" oversize. The previous owner was running a six foot bush hogg behind this tractor while the radiator and oil cooler were clogged with dirt and debris. The engine overheated to the point that a 3/4" expansion plug inside the valve cover let go. This turned the water loose into the crankcase. Shortly the engine seized and stopped.
A word to the wise--- when gauges, lights, and other signs tell you that the tractor is over-heating. "SHUTTER DOWN" A simple cool-down and fixing the cause for over-heating is much- much cheaper then this repair is going to be.
Dan R

Link:   NH TC33D Album

Picture Link

View my Photos
Art White

2015-01-22          191900

When injectors get blocked from contaminated fuel they often will cause this from the spray not being where it should be. Might have been closer to the problem then overheating. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2015-01-22          191901

Forgot to add, a parent bore engine can be bored and sleeved. ....

View my Photos
gotowin

2015-01-22          191904

You make a good point Mr. White, although I believe in this case it was an engine with a maximum sustained load, 100+ Texas temperatures, and a radiator and oil cooler that looks like this that caused this problem. The engine got hot enough that the water/steam pressure pushed one of the expansion plugs on top of the head out of it's hole, thus letting the water flow into the crankcase. ....

Link:   NH TC 33D album

Picture Link

View my Photos
gotowin

2015-01-22          191905

Dirty Oil cooler pic. ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
gotowin

2015-01-22          191906

Update---- My machinist Has bored the engine block to .020" which cleaned up the bores. The +.020" oversize pistons and rings have been ordered. BTW-- New Holland does not supply anything but standard pistons for this engine, nor do they supply a sleeve kit. Their solution to fix the problem is to sell you a new engine block. :( ....

Link:   TC33D repairs album

View my Photos
Art White

2015-01-24          191911

We used to have blank sleeve material that we used to cut to install for custom applications in the shop that I used to that for.
Looking at the radiator and oil cooler I can only chuckle as about two years ago we brought in a Kubota 85 horsepower with 865 hours on it for an overheating problem. When we opened the hood to expose the radiator the hay that fell out was about a foot deep! With further cleaning it turned to about two foot deep. Upon further inspection the block and head were cracked so we went with a new engine. There was more to it as it still had the original oil filters on it and looking at the oil it seemed to match!
About that soft plug, that came out because of fit! It might have been flawed or just installed wrong. The radiator cap would have released any extra pressure!!! ....

View my Photos
gotowin

2015-01-24          191922

Thank you Mr. Art White for you comments. They help to brighten my day. Were you a NH dealer? Still?
The +.020" pistons I have coming being aftermarket, who knows where they may be manufactured. I feel the machinist felt the block boring to +.020" would be removing less material then installing sleeves would have involved. Our local NW dealer (3 miles away):) still has the New Holland sign in front of the business, No NH tractors in the line up, but probably 25 new Kubota on the grounds. ;-( Been this way for several years now. ....

Link:   NH TC 33D album

View my Photos
Art White

2015-01-26          191944

To have it clean out at 20 still leaves a sleeve install for later! I am a CaseIH dealer and they were the same. The Kubota engines when needed are less money and often when multiple damage shows up their engines a good alternative. Probably about 1,000. difference as a ball park.
A lot of the tractor industry is going the full exchange do to labor costs to do a good rebuild. We see many quickies come in six months or a year later either in trade or for a good job. It is not to say they might not work but we have found that different pieces only have so many rebuilds and then they are out of spec.
In high school I worked in a machine shop boring engines, head work and anything else to keep engines running.

Be careful that it isn't cracked from the heat. I'm sure your machine shop can check it. ....

View my Photos
gotowin

2015-02-14          192101

Been a little while since I gave an update on the NH TC33D. I have the engine back together, installed back in the tractor. Today I put the forward frame, front drive wheels, drive shaft, starter, and alternator on the tractor. Getting close to an engine startup in the next several days. I only get to work on this hit-n-miss. :-( ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
gotowin

2015-02-14          192102

Picture Link

View my Photos
xperts

2015-02-15          192117

Beautiful job, nice to have all the tools to do it right!

View my Photos
gotowin

2015-03-01          192227

I started this thread back the middle of Dec, 2014. I am happy to report now that I have this tractor back together. Got it started up on Feb. 24 last week. Everything seems good. After getting the safeties such that the starter would crank over and the fuel injector lines bled out, it started right up. I have ordered the decals, and a new water temp sensor. Once installed should be pretty well complete I have about 150 pics in the photo album. A lot of these pics were for my benefit to make sure things went back together as they should. :-) Needless to say-- this was an expensive fix.
Dan R ....

View my Photos
gotowin

2015-03-01          192228

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2015-03-01          192229

It's nice to see it back in one piece. It's also nice that you now have a good understanding of the entire machine, making future repairs a whole lot easier for you. Hopefully you'll never have to work on the engine again. Great work!

Joel ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login