4110 or 4210? or 4310? What about resale?: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review 4110 or 4210? or 4310? What about resale?: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-21-2004, 21:16 Post: 80659
horstuff

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 4110 or 4210? (or 4310?) What about resale?

Hi. I'm brand new to this forum, and it is a lifesaver in trying to get info about these things. I am ready to buy a small tractor, and I think I am going to go with JD, just because it seems like the resale will be the best. My tentative plan is to buy it, use the FEL and backhoe for a year or so, then sell it. I have just an acre of land that I need to prep (it's already cleared, no real heavy stuff left), move topsoil and gravel around, dig a few holes, take out a few small stumps, and then sell it used. I was all set to go with the 4110 with FEL and hoe and landscape rake and rear blade, but as I was leaving the dealer, I jumped onto a 4210 just for the heck of it. I immediately liked the way it felt better than the 4110. The seat, the floorboards, just everything seemed more beefy and real.

My question is: Since I obviously don't have much heavy work to do, and I plan on selling the machine in a year or two, which do you guys think would be best for resale value? It seems the 4110 is kinda cool as far as a specialty item for small landowners that need maneuverability (plus it can take the 46 backhoe), but the 4210 seemed like a real tractor and not a toy in any way. To add to the confusion, I read here that if somebody was considering the 4210, they may as well get the 4310. That may be, but, as somebody else here said, you can keep going up one notch until you've bought ten times the machine you will ever need. I guess my bottom line at this point is going to be ease of selling it later, so whichever one is going to hold it's value the best. Thanks very, very much in advance for any advice given. This is a scary purchase, Hell, my new car cost less than I am thinking about spending on this thing! But, I need it, and I don't want to cheese out just because of the dollars. Thanks.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

03-21-2004, 21:28 Post: 80662
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I think on any of these the depreciation would be 7-10 percent in the first year and maybe 5 percent a year after that. If you're in an area of larger properties it would probably be easier to sell the larger machine. I'm not sure JD has any better resale than the other major brands.

As far as 4210 vs. 4310, the 4310 is sort of the sweet spot in the mid-frame line. I think the 4210 may be a tiny bit underpowered for the frame size and weight and don't think the 4410 is worth the extra $1500 increment over the 4310 to get three more hp. In your case it doesn't sound like you need to do a lot of heavy work so you might look at the 4115 - a reliable tractor with enough power to do what you need.

03-21-2004, 21:40 Post: 80664
horstuff

Filter by User

kwschumm,

Thanks for the advice. What about the 4110? Am I just missing the boat with the 4110 and shouldn't even be considering it? Anybody else? Thanks.

03-21-2004, 21:56 Post: 80667
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

The 4110 is a good machine and could well do what you need, but 20 hp seems to me to be a little low for a small tractor with a loader and heavy backhoe. The 4115 has 15-20 percent more power which makes it more suitable IMHO. Maybe DRankin will chime in here, he has a 4115 equipped with a backhoe and can shed more light on this topic.

03-21-2004, 23:33 Post: 80674
horstuff

Filter by User

Is there any validity to my theory that the 4110 (or 4115) may have unique appeal because it is so small yet can handle the 46 hoe? That it may re-sell quicker, and to a broader range of people?

03-22-2004, 04:37 Post: 80677
hardwood

TP Contributor

horstuff; The first compact I ever drove was a 4100 that the dealer brought out with a Land Pride rear mower. it was a nice tractor, but just not enough horsepower. If you're going to put a hoe on it the 4110 just isn't quite heavy enough, first time you hook a root you'll drag the tractor before the hydraylic will give up. Just this winter I traded a 2000 model 4300 in on a 4410, I got a good trade plus the dealer had the 4300 sold to someone before it ever left my property. I would vote for the 4310 as having the better resale as your getting into the size where not only home owners but landscapers, construction firms, and farmers are coming into the picture too. Once you get used to having whichever size you choose I'll bet you a double dip Baskin Robins you never sell it. Have a great week, Frank.

03-22-2004, 06:55 Post: 80692
CraigC

I think after a year or two your resale questions will all go out the window and you will decide you don't want to be without your tractor.

03-22-2004, 07:44 Post: 80697
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Get the 4310. You mentioned resale value but the 4310 is the most popular size and will have the most appeal to buyers IF & when you think you might sell it. It has the hp and capacities to handle implements that appeals to the broadest block of potential buyers as well. These are great little tractors and have the versatility to do most tasks put to them. Since you are going to be using this tractor in a landscaping/construction role; I would suggest you negotiate in the price of a rental upgrade kit, front & rear dual work lights, high capacity alternator, and maybe even the seat arm rest kit along with the other implements you plan to purchase. Get the R-4 tires and mid pto as this is another strong selling point for a MMM. A 4 in 1 bucket for the FEL would be a very helpful option too. Good luck on your purchase!

03-22-2004, 08:17 Post: 80700
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Horstuff, I'm thinking you should go for the smaller one. While it may take a bit more time to do the work you plan on initially, it might give you the option of keeping it after you're done. You could sell the backhoe easily and then have a nice machine to use for maintenance of your property that's not massively oversized.
Dave

03-22-2004, 08:37 Post: 80701
ncrunch32

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Horstuff, I have the 4310 with 47 backhoe. You would think the 4310 is way too big for a homeowner with 2 acres. However, I continue to hit boulders when I use the backhoe and am not sure I would want a smaller tractor when digging these out. The 4310 seems just big enough to finesse some of these big rocks out of the ground and get them to their final destination.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 80659 Filter by Poster:
Billy 2 | Chief 3 | CraigC 1 | hardwood 1 | horstuff 7 | kwschumm 3 | ncrunch32 1 | shortmagnum 2 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob