Go Bottom Go Bottom

Purchase Question GT LT

View my Photos
CraigLT
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-08          48897

I was looking to get some advise on a purchase. I'm looking at a JD GT Series Tractor and was hoping someone could clarify what the differences are between the GT and the LT Series. I know the one is a Garden Tractor and the other is a Lawn Tractor. But what are the real differences? It's been a bit confusing talking with the dealer. I have an LT155 which is working fine (a little tough to start sometimes) but thought I would look into a possible upgrade. Is the GT a "REAL" upgrade and why. After an hour with the dealer I'm still confused. Any help appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Purchase Question GT LT

View my Photos
dutch445

2003-02-17          49403

Craig,
If you are comparing the GT to the LX series, it is hard to explain where the true differneces actually are. They share a lot of the same parts, frames, engines, etc. They do differ in these ways: tires are larger, the transmission is heavier. The attachments available are different also, mostly the fact that the GT series can run a rear tiller. They both use the same snowblower, with all the same attaching and lift parts. Now,, the LX vs. LT series is also a different comparsion, with the LX basically being a top of the line lawn tractor. The LX has features like electric PTO, heavier frame, and transmission, and the ability to operate a snowblower, whick the LT doesn't. Also, the mower decks on the GT/LX series go on and off much easier than the LT. (mostly due to the pto engagement parts). When you start comparing GX300 series to the GT200 series, the same things happen again, stronger frames, steering components, transmissions, and hydraulic lift, with optional power steering available. I can see how things get confusing, too many models!
Good luck! ....

Purchase Question GT LT

View my Photos
CraigLT

2003-02-19          49580

Thanks for the info Dutch. After doing a bit more investigation I'm considering an old 4xx series or an new X series. I just moved into my house last summer and the builder didn't do any landscaping. I only have an acre but there is alot I want to do. Do you think an X series with a front loader makes sense? Or should I stick with the LT and just rent equipment when I need it? Appreciate your feedback. Thanks, Craig ....

Purchase Question GT LT

View my Photos
dutch445

2003-02-20          49671

I would make that decision based on what you will have to do with the tractor once the house is landscaped. How much lawn? Any other regular yard work after it's finished? How much snow removal? I own a 445 with 48" mower and 47" 2-stage snowblower, and hardly need that sized machine at this house, but would never go without this snowblower. It's an animal. Impresses all the neighbors. And now my kids picked up some other lawns to mow on the lake here, for people that only come by on weekends etc.. so the mower gets used more than if it was just my small lawn, so that's worth having now too. The new X series is basically the same as the older 4xx tractors were, just new styling, and a little more HP. (which was never an issue anyway) The loaders for these tractors run over $3000 and are not all that powerful, but beats wheelbarrow for moving dirt piles and mulch or whatever. You can do an amazing amount of work with a weekend rental of a compact tractor with loader, and power rake. Or even a skid steer for that matter. I guess you need to base your decision on your financial situation, and needs after the house is finished. My 445 has about 600 hrs, is bulletproof, and quite a workhorse. I am sure you would be happy with one, and you should expect to pay from 4 to 6 thousand for a decent used one with a mower deck. I like the 445 because of the extra HP with the fuel injection. The 455 is good if you are fond of diesel.
Hope this helps.

Purchase Question GT LT

View my Photos
CraigLT

2003-02-22          49799

Thanks again Dutch. I've started to look into a few other options as well. Going to the real extreme side, I've started to consider the Kubota BX22. Certainly a few $$ more than I had originally considered, but it would be great to have the power & utility while I develop the property. I need to put in a number of walkways, a garage for my trailer, a new lawn, and a patio. Plus I have some trench work to do to address some water issues I have. And then there is all the plantings. Seems overwhelming when I think about all the work. I could certainly do all this work with rentals and keep my LT for the lawn. Which may be the direction I take. But it sure would be fun to have all that power available. ....

Purchase Question GT LT

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-02-23          49810

Craig, You're starting to think in the right direction. I doubt you need a BX22 with the backhoe once your property is landscaped. I would look more to the BX2200 or JD 2210 with FEL and MMM. I would rent a BH when you need one.
Pacesetter

Purchase Question GT LT

View my Photos
dutch445

2003-02-23          49849

Isn't it amazing how things snowball when you start shopping for something? Start looking at a LT tractor to mow the lawn, and now you are looking at a sub compact tractor! Take your time, and yes, you can rent a backhoe on a tractor for a couple hundred bucks a weekend for the jobs you need it for. I wouldn't doubt you could just rent an attachment for a small tractor someplace also.
Keep thinking this thru,, and you will come up with the right tractor for you.
Good luck!

Purchase Question GT LT

View my Photos
CraigLT

2003-02-23          49869

Hey Dutch, Good advice. It is amazing how quickly things snowball when you start to look at new toys. I agree I need to think it thru before jumping into anything. I do agree with Pacesetter, I most likely dont need the BH. Again if I could find an old JD 445 w/ FEL I think that would meet my needs. I do like the BX2200, I'm going to look into it further. Also looked further at the JD X Series. It just seems like a lot of money and doesn't come with much.

The projects I have coming up are a few walkways, a new front lawn (actually need to do the whole lawn), a few retainment walls, a foundation for a detached garage, + gardens for my wife. I definately need more than the LT.

Again I think the BX2200 or the JD X would be plenty of machine along with the occasional rental BH.

Thanks again for the feedback. ....

Purchase Question GT LT

View my Photos
CraigLT

2003-02-23          49870

I think I've been reading this board too long, I'm starting to repeat myself. Did I mention the project I have coming up? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login