Go Bottom Go Bottom

Sticky kill switch on 4200 hydro

View my Photos
Lee Anderson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-05          37099

I have a 4200 hydro that the safety switch located on the forward foot pedal seems to be sticking. Most of the time when I want to get off of the tractor and leave it running the tractor dies and in order to start it again I have to wiggle the foot pedal. Has anyone else had this problem?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-06          37108

I haven't heard of this exact problem, but I guess that a fuel shut-off solenoid is dropping out. Some newer compacts have solenoids, but I never have figured out their advantage. My kill switch is on the hand throttle, and it just rotates the injector pump so no fuel is delivered. Safety interlocks for TX and PTO's generally prevent a tractor from starting but won't stop it once it starts. I'm making an assumption that 4200's don't have a safety interlock switch under the seat like some riding mowers, but such things have caused problems.

I think I'd try to reason through why it happens when you get off the tractor. Perhaps slow idle speeds while sitting sets up a particular vibration. I would physically locate the interlock switch and try to see how it may get jostled. I'd look for bent linkage or adjustable stops in particular.

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2002-04-06          37114

The 4200 does have a seat switch which is tied into the neutral start system. If the operator is not in the seat when the neutral switch is not activated, the engine will shut down. You may be able to adjust the switch so it has more positive engagement. If not, the neutral switch will need to be replaced. The pto also needs to be in the disengaged position or the same situation arises. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-07          37134

If I've got the logic right, a 4200 needs somebody in the seat when the tractor is in gear or the engine shuts down. Pretty good idea really. I'm aware I do things around my gear tractor while it's idling. It's possible for the TX to be bumped into gear, and then away it would go since my 1710 doesn't have such an interlock.

I'm guessing the problem described could be caused by a seat interlock that works and a neutral interlock that doesn't. It senses the tractor is in gear when it isn’t. Jostling the pedal releases the interlock. If the neutral interlock is on the HST speed pedal rather than a range selector, then the problem seems pretty apparent. Safety interlocks are sometimes jumped for testing, but only to diagnosis a problem. Anybody doing such a thing should understand the risks.

View my Photos
Lee Anderson

2002-04-08          37167

The way my tractor works because it is a hydro, you can get out of the seat with the tractor running as long as you are not pushing the foot pedal. There must be a switch located on the forward foot pedal that shuts down the tractor when it is pushed and there is no one in the seat. The way I know this is that the way I have to get the tractor restarted is to wiggle the foot pedal. ....

View my Photos
GREENJEANS

2002-04-08          37177

Lee,

The problem you describe could be linkage adjustment on the hydro pedals.

For safety, the pedals must be in the nutral position to start the engine. If the linkage gets out of adjustment due to wear or damage, then jogging pedals to start is the quick fix. Check with your dealer for proper adjustment.

FYI. There is an operators pressence system wired into the seat. If you are on the seat when it starts, it will kill the engine(fuel shut off celenoid) when you leave the seat. However, When stating the tractor from the ground. It should start if the pedals are in nuetral and parking brake is locked. This enables the tractor to run such things as a generator, without someone on the seat.

Hope this helps ....

View my Photos
JD4300

2003-04-21          53506

I've been having a similar problem with my 4300 hydro. Sometimes, the tractor won't start. I originally thought it had something to do with the fuses but have since determined that there is a switch under the tractor on the foot pedal linkage that's causing the problem. With no pressure applied to the foot pedals the linkage comes to rest against a switch. As it turns out, the linkage isn't pressing the switch far enough. I can't find an adjustment on the linkage and the switch looks like a bear to replace. I'm no mechanical engineer but it looks like you need to be to understand how the linkage works. If you get under the tractor and have someone move the pedals (you can actually do this yourself under the tractor) it is easy to locate the switch. I havent fixed mine yet but I plan to epoxy a spacer to the switch button to ensure it gets depressed fully. I can't think of any other way to fix the problem. When you see it, you'll understand what I mean. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-22          53542

In general, many switches in this type of application have elongated mounting holes so the switch body can be set closer to an actuating lever if it's not closing. I don't know about this particular switch. If were designed like that, mounting screws could be loosened, the switch body pushed toward the linkage and the screws tightened again.

If I were adding a spacer, I'd likely use a feeler gauge if possible to find a minimum thickness that would make the switch close. Too thick a spacer may damage the switch or disable the safety feature.

View my Photos
JD4300

2003-04-22          53583

Thanks Tom. I'll try loosening the switch to see if there's any adjustment on it before I try glueing an extension on the switch. Also, you guys didn't hear it from me but if you disconnect the switch at the connector and jump the two wires it will permanently resolve the problem. That's what I've done but I am going to repair the switch when I figure out the best way to proceed. . . ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login