Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Duramax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-01          38014

Ive been looking into the new duramax,I found out that ford and dodge will be updating their 2003 diesel trucks,I heard that navastar is building a 6.0 power stroke to replace the 7.3,Dodge is still going to use the cummings with a different injection system which should quiet it down a bit,any thoughts? 2003 release dates???

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-02          38054

As Ford bought Cummings some time ago. I had heard that Ford was going to use the Cummings. I have seen nothing in writing. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-02          38059

Look carefully at the transmission specs and make sure you get the heaviest one available and a tranny cooler. My brother-in-law has a Dodge Pick-up that is about 8 years old and he is on his 4th transmission. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
ob1kubota

2002-05-02          38081

My post 2 posts got combined into 1,I hear what you saying about the dodge which is now out of the quiestion for me,Im 2 months the new model is coming out im sure it will be good but as with most new auto models,their always issues,recalls ect,Im now a day or two away from a purchase,came very close today with a chevy with a duramax and auto,it is a very sweet set up,Im alittle concerned with the reliability I did some on line research their were alot of positive things said,also their share of proublems,injection pumps,fuel systems,cam gear proublems,ball joint and a few other idems,maybe that is just a handfull who post their proublems and maybe their are 98% out their with no proublems I was hoping this post would bring out the duramax owners to post on them,So at this point it leaves ford,the similarly equiped diesel 4x4 both with rebates priced 3800 less and that is with seriour price reductions and rebates on the both of them ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-02          38085

I have the 2000 Dodge 3500 quad cab. I drove the Dodge and a Ford crew cab back to back at the time I bought it. The dealer was Ford, Dodge and GM.
The Cummins definately has more clatter on the out side but I liked the noise better on the inside. I went with the Dodge mainly due to the fact I did not want the old twin I beam for the road. If I was buying four wheel drive I would have gone for the Ford as it was the better deal, option for option.
If you are buying a large truck for pulling why are you considering an automatic? Part of the advantage of the diesel is the brake horse power in the motor. I would not be without it for hills.
I personally would not go for a Duramax. I guess I am like the semi owner, I am not going to invest in an unproven motor, especially in a company with GM's track record.
Would I pay 3800 extra for the risk?
Here the 3-4 year old GMC and Chev Diesels are about 4 K to 5 K less than the Dodge or Ford.Where is the value? ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-05-07          38250

Ford had some owner ship at one time with Cummins for diesels for Fords tractor line. At no time did they want to get the Cummins for their trucks. There was a page on Cummins web site talking about this a while back.

The "New" Dodge 2500 and 3500 trucks will be out this year and will be a new truck with a lot of the proven mechanics. Same Cummins Diesel with more power. Transmissions have got better since 1994.

We have dicussed transmissions on DiRT many times. Bottom line is its usually the driver that kills the transmission not craftsmanship.

Drivers with Auto's or Manuals usually pull in OVERDRIVE which is the #1 killer of a transmission in any brand of truck.

They also tend to OVERLOAD their trucks and expect them to keep going is not going to happen either.

Also they tend to drive them too hard. I've always been told take off nice and easy and smooth and let the truck do its job and you wont tear anything up. Put your foot into it with a 10000lb trailer behind and the Cummins will put the tranny to its grave.

Also lots of times people dont get the right truck for the job. If you are gonna pull trailers day in and day out and want and auto get a 4.10 gear. If you are gonna pull once a month or the camper on vacation a few times a year you can get by with the 3.54. Shut the OD off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are gonna grossly overload your truck and generally abuse it get the manual tranny and 4.10.

I know some of you will say I used to have a such and such year + make of a truck and I overloaded it and abused it and never had any problems and so on...........

We all know things arent built as heavy as they used to be built but the #1 thing (Here it is again) you didnt have an OD tranmission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-05-07          38251

Also the "New" Ram has already been out for a year in the 1500 series so any recalls and problems most likely will have been smoothed out by the time the big trucks are out. The Cummins Engine is proven and is used in many different applications. Not just the Ram. In those applications it is producing WAY more power thenin the Ram. Its tuned down for the Ram and they just keep tuning up a notch or 2 for the Ram. Most of the "new" ram is already proven and reliable. There are a handful of Allison 6 speed trannys in some of the 2000 Rams working just fine. Allison has been around for a long time and th Cummins and Allison trannys have been in MotorHomes and the Medium Duty big trucks for years.

Todd

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
cutter

2002-05-07          38270

The standard engine in the new HD Dodge is a 300HP Hemi engine. I wish it had been available when I bought mine. The thoughts about the OD transmission and axle ratios when towing are accurate as you stated, although they did have a bad seal in the earlier transmissions that created a malfunction (according to my brother in law who works at a Dodge dealership). There was a re-designed for later models and the problem is gone now. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-05-07          38278

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Hemi will do. I am not impressed with its power #'s though. The HP is impressive but the torque is 365lbs feet of torque. Way low of the Diesels and V10 and its grandpa the 426 Hemi. Torque is what pulls the trailer.

An interesting side note a fellow DiRT member saw a new 3500 at an auto show in Chicago I think last week with Hemi badges on it but they did not and would not open the engine so who knows what kind of #'s the Hemi will put out.

Although I am not a mechanical engineer I would think the Hemi Head with todays technology could produce a very good engine with plenty of power,good MPG and good emissions.

Todd

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
cutter

2002-05-07          38282

I agree, although requirements/designs have changed so much who is to say what works best now. I like the truck, it doesn't matter what brand you pick, they all have their own list of problems. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
keith rose

2002-05-14          38615

All I can say is I bought my first Dodge 2 yrs. ago and its been nothing but a problem. Actually going on my third rearend in 30,000 miles and I tow nothing! Also had the front u joints go bad and numerous other problems. I have owned both Ford and GM and never had these kind of major failures, no less repetitive failures. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-14          38617

All I can say is I have 2 year old 3500 Ram with the Cummings and it has never been in the shop for repair. I have not had any recalls. I have the heavy duty rear end in the truck, but as the earlier post state the torque of the cummings will tear things up.
My previous truck a 97 Ford was relatively good, but had a few recalls and I had to rip apart the rear end before 60K to replace a 2 dollar outer end seal.
I would believe that if you can not keep the rear end in the Dodge that there something else wrong with the truck.
Like doctors these days mechanics are a little short on diagonsis and logical thought. Any difficult problem I have had with a car I have had to diagnose myself. Keep at them till they get it right.

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
cutter

2002-05-15          38630

I agree with Peters. What model did you have Keith that went through three rear ends? I would suspect the repair was made without proper diagnosis. There has to be an underlying reason it happened repeatedly. I know that the rear ends, transfer cases and many time the transmissions are/were all manufactured by the same supplier (New Process) for all of the major American brands. That may still be the case, don't know. By the way, Chrysler used to own that company. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-15          38634

Keith;
All brands have problems and defects from the factory. Unfortunately, with the complexity of cars these days, few people, are capable of diagnosis.

For example, I have a old Volvo on which we are the second owners. Once we bought the thing at ~ 100,000 miles a sharp right turn will give a bang once in a while. I suspected a lower right ball joint. Checked it and found slight play in only one axis. Not common for wear related failure.

In going through the service repair, I found that the previous owner had problems keeping the tires in balance and aligned. Symptoms of the problem persisted back to 30,000 miles or less. She had taken it in numberous times.The dealer is a larger dealer in AL with professional staff and also has the MB dealership at the same location.

The jist of what I am trying to say is it does not matter the dollar value of the car the odd defect will escape detection, and despite the best mechanics training they may not be able to spot it. As they say physician heal thy self.
Unfortunately, it is much worse when the physician is the diagnostician. To think Holmes was patterned after a physician.
Peters ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-15          38639

Peters, you are right on, defects can occur in any make and model, even (dare I say it?) Toyota. Mechanics, I have heard, can be described as "flat rate butchers". They work on a fixed rate per job and it is easier, cheaper and faster for them to slap together new parts based on the reported problem. And in all fairness they do not drive the cars they fix, nor do physicians live in the bodies on which they are practicing medicine. They can only respond to the information they are given.

We as consumers can hedge our bets by only purchasing the vehicles or components that are most trouble free. That’s why I buy Toyotas when I can and you buy manual transmissions in your Dodge trucks. Even after saying that, it is hard to comprehend going through a rear axle every 10K. This is not new technology and lubricants have never been better. Maybe we should ask Keith what exactly is wearing out. Is it bearings, clutch packs for the limited slip? Seals? Ring and pinion? Maybe we can put our heads together and help him figure out where the reoccurring defect is coming from.

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-15          38640

Well if we want to get into it, I have a couple of Toyota stories to tell, so I don't think anyone is beyond reproach. As I know the Volvo well I have stuck with the Volvos. Not too much to relearn on a new car. Unfortunately the newer ones are all front wheel drive so, I will be looking for a new brand. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-15          38650

Keith;
If you still have the truck, provide us with the details of the problem, repairs and current problem. We can see if our collective minds can traack down the real root cause.
Maybe you can start a new post under Dodge - Dogs etc.
Peters ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-05-15          38652

Sounds to me like a bad dealership or a bad rear end housing cast or machined wrong slightly causing rear end failure. I would think after #2 they woudl have rolled an entire new aseembly under the truck.

I have had my 1995 Dodge Ram for almost 7 years now with no troubles at all. I did have the transmission replaced at 30000 miles because the idiot dealiership didnt put enough fluid back in on a fluid and filter change. But thats another story..........

Todd

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
keith rose

2002-05-16          38695

Thanks for all the input guys. You are all right it could happen with any brand, it just sucks when it happens to you. I still have the vehicle and I need to restate from my previous post , its time for its third rebuild.

I noticed the problem soon after I got the vehicle when you shifted from park to drive or drive to reverse it would clunk like the u-joints wher bad. I checked them and they where fine, I figured no big deal its under warrenty let them deal with it.

Well it took them two months to fix the truck, stated that parts where back ordered. That was good till july of last year it started up again. I took the truck in and this time the rear was shoot and also the transfer case and the front u-joints.

This time it only took a week to get it back (I was impressed compared to the vehicles previous stay!) Now about two months ago I noticed the same problem when you put it in drive or reverse so I figured its time again.

I live in Syracuse,NY and work near the New Venture Gear Plant, but that sure hasn't improved service. If you guys have any ideas that would be grat as I am about to bring it in again. It just doesnt sound right to have this many major problems in such a short time! Oh ya Its a 1997 Ram Sport 4WD ext. cab. Thanks again for all the input. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
keith rose

2002-05-16          38696

I should have adde that on the last repair they replaced the clutch pack and the bearings and the transfer case housing. I dont have the bill with me (its at work) it also stated theat when they drained the rearend it came out sliver in color! Severe bearing failure. Let me know what you guys come up with if anything. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-16          38700

OK Keith lets get started.
1) What engine in the truck? Is it manual trans?
2) What was repaired in the first instance, shortly after you got the truck? The rear end? Did they replace the rear end or only the guts?
3) On the second repair did they replace the rear end or only the guts? ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
keith rose

2002-05-17          38712

Pete,
The first time they rebuilt the rear ring and pinion, Bearings ect.

The second time they replaced the cup. diff. 3 bearings, spacer, seal drive, cup drive and differential. Also says case was trac locked clutch pack sticking and pinion and case bearing shot.

The truck has the 360 engine and automatic trans. Thanks for the help. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-17          38713

The only thing that appears to be common to the failures is the rear end housing. Todd may have struck the nail on the head in his first post.

I would suspect that the casing is machined or cast incorrectly. They kept replacing the guts but the wear is caused by the incorrect alignment of the shafts. Todd?

The only other thing would be an out of balance drive shaft but I think the U-joints would go first and that would not explain the first occurance.

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
keith rose

2002-05-18          38741

I had the same discussion with one of my co-workers and we came up with improper machining of the bearing bores in the rearend. Those bores should be line bored but to minimize the chances of runout between the bores. When I bring it in this time I am going to insist they replace the rear!The other thought would be bad drive train alignment but I think the u-joints would wear first. Thanks for the input I think both of you guys hit the nail on the head, I will follow up post on how I made out,thanks again. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-18          38755

It is definately in the geometry of the crown an pinion gears, but it is difficult to know what it is. It seems funny that they have assembled it twice and not had any tell tail binding . I would assume that the casting is placed in a boring machine an all three surfaces are drilled and bore at once. The machine set up must be wrong to get it incorrect or the casting was not filled correctly so that a mounting point was incorrect.
To see the type of failure you are experiencing the pinion gear must be contacting the crown gear incorrectly. I think the pinion shaft would need to be at the wrong angle to the crown. If the input shaft were high or low you would have difficulty assembling the rear end. Could could get the same effect it the propeller shaft are missaligned in the housing but the method of manufacture would still allow the proper centering of the bores with the input pinion bore.
Again this is likely a Dana problem and the rear end should be returned to Dana for analysis of what went wrong in the manufacturing technique. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-05-18          38758

They do use a spreader tool to spread the housing a slight bit to get things inside. Could have been overdone originally and the housing is tweaked a little bit.

I would like to think who ever has redone the rear end would look at contact patterns on the gears. That can help determine how things were set last time and could maybe indicate an area of the rear end housing that is bad.

They do have various dial indicators for setting tolerances and I am guessing maybe if the housing was cast wrong or a part of it was wrong then that could throw off adjustments. These indicators are attached to various locations on the rear end when setting things up.

These rear end designs have been around a long time and are proven. They do what they are supposed to do and do hold up well to serious overloading.

I think you should visit this web site and poke around. Maybe it will help you. You may find others that have had this problem or get answers.

http://dodgeram.org/

We all would like to think a dealership is the best place to go for our vehicles but I have little to none in the fiath department with my local dealership. The parts guys at the counter and 2 older mechanics in the shop are the only ones I trust. The rest of them got their start at the local Jiffy Lube 30 minute oil change place and they are now mechanics!
Also 3 rear ends in 30000 miles isnt right. I think I would be talking to the higher ups about replacing the truck under lemon laws or get some big parts trucked in to replace entire areas of the truck. Not the managers at the dealership but make some calls to Detroit!

Todd

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-18          38760

Cutter: Could you check with your brother-in-law and ask if Dodge has a factory sponsored fix for those trannys with the bad seal? I would like to pass the info to my brother-in-law if there is a fix. The dodge dealer in Anchorage is infamous for refusing or denying warranty work. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-05-18          38761

Check the dodgeram.org web site. They have all the service bulletins and recalls and so forth on there. A dealership denying warranty work?????????? If it is covered under warrnaty and most things are the dealership gets paid from Chrysler for doing the work. Thats really odd they would deny things.

Todd

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-18          38762

Before the Japanese named companies started building V-6 engines, I went into this particular dealership looking for a slightly heavier, more powerful truck for towing. After we sat down and traded names and other pleasantries, I opened negotiations by suggesting that they eliminate the $5000.00 (!!?!) additional dealer mark-up so we could continue talking. The salesman told me it was not negotiable because the next nearest place I could buy a Dodge truck was in Seattle, 2500 road miles and nearly four air hours away. My response was that I could fly to Seattle, buy a truck, and be back in 5 days and still save at least $4000.00 over his prices. He invited me to leave his G--D--- showroom and told me he was going to put my name on “The List”. What List? I inquired. Turns out they kept a list of people like me who might fly out and get a truck elsewhere. Those recalcitrants were not allowed to receive any sort of service, warranty or otherwise, at Anchorage Dodge. That was all I needed to hear. I am sure they must have moderated that attitude more recently as other Dodge dealers have taken up positions within a couple of hours of Anchorage in the last few years. Thanks for the tip, I'll tell the big boy to check to web site. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
cutter

2002-05-18          38763

The country is full of crooks and unscrupulous people in all businesses unfortunately. The one you were dealing with should have had his franchise pulled. There is a dealer in Rochester that had a tune up special a couple years ago. A different brother in law of mine took his perfectly running car there because he felt it was due. When he got it back, it ran terribly so he made another appointment. They told him it needed some part that would cost him $300. He called me and I called another dealer that confirmed my suspicion, the part in question did not exhist for his model car. I promptly told him to call the 800 number in the back of his owners manual and tell his story to the hot line. A factory rep met him at the dealer to get his car fixed for free. If you don't find that info on the web Mark, let me know and I will ask him about the seal for you. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-05-20          38824

Someone on DiRT experienced this with their Ram. They said they had a warped axle housing that caused the wheel/axle bearings to fail and then the pumpkin area bearings and gears soon followed.

Todd

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-05-30          39184

Found out some interesting information today. Seems the "New" Dodge Ram's will not have any Dana front or rear ends. They are now all American Axle ends. They were having quality control problems with Dana and have done away with them. American Axle was at one time a division of GM?!

Todd

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
keith rose

2002-05-30          39192

Wow! Isnt that surprising with all the problems I have had with my rearend!I am sure htey are not all bad but from n=my other posts I got one that missed the Q.C. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-05-31          39219

I found your problem and the Dana information interesting. I have never had any troubles and am a fan of Dana over the years. I got an old 1974 Dodge D200 Pickup with a 440 going to a 4.10 gear Dana 60 and its heavy duty and does real well. I guess times change though.

At best maybe this will give you some good ammo when trying to battle with the dealership for more warranty work.

Todd

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
keith rose

2002-05-31          39223

Todd,
You are right this board as been quite informative and helpful. Hopefully they will fix the problem once and for all! I will use this info. when I go in there, I'll let you all know how I make out. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
keith rose

2002-07-12          40314

Well it goes in the shop on tuesday7/16/02 I will follow up on what they do this time! ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-07-13          40343

Let us know what happens. I was wondering a while back how you were coming along with things.

Todd

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-07-31          40883

Just read yesterday Mack Truck has told Dana to hit the road on making their axles for the big trucks. Seems its not just Dodge having problems with them.

Todd

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
keith rose

2002-08-01          40902

Well I just got my truck back last friday after two weeks in the shop and guess what? After $4300. in warranty repairs it still clunks when you shift from drive to reverse. Mopar quality is impressive after three attempts they still cant get rid of the noise! I saw a gentelman last week with a t-shirt that said(MOPAR OR NO CAR!). That saying couldn't be any more true, IF YOU OWN A MOPAR IT IS LIKE HAVING NO CAR BECAUSE IT IS IN THE SHOP ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!! ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-08-01          40903

I think I would demand an entire new rear end put under the truck. No more rebuilds. Has the same shop did the fix 3 times? Sounds like someone doesnt know whats going on?!

Todd

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
keith rose

2002-08-02          40918

Yes the same shop has attempted to repair it three times. I am so disgusted I am just going to run it, I will take it back in another 10,000 miles, thats about all it lasts! ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-08-02          40923

Sounds like you have gone the extra mile with these guys. If I were in your shoes I would be on the line with the district rep. and demanding a complete, new, rear end assembly. That should only take a couple hours to install so you won't be wasting days of downtime. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
HOEMAN00

2002-08-02          40933

I have owned 4 4X4 x-cab duramax trucks w/ allison trans.
LOVE these trucks.
I pull a skid loader trailer w/ it between 13,000 and 16,000 lbs.
NO problems w/ hills or anything else!

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
cutter

2002-08-03          40960

Mark,

Did you have any luck on the website finding the transmission seal info? If not, I can e-mail you a number to call that will hook you up with my brother in law's service department. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-08-03          40962

Thanks Cutter, that would be helpful. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-09-06          42106

Another interesting find on the old dana rear ends.
Taken for DiRT.

Todd

-------------------------------------------------------

o: dirt@mailman.xmission.com
Send reply to: dirt@mailman.xmission.com

Date sent: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 13:24:15 -0600

[ Double-click this line for list subscription options ]

My 97 ate pinion bearings on a regular basis. It ended up being a bad
casting and the whole housing was replaced. Before the replacement, 6 sets
of bearings were installed. Not sure if this is relevant to your problem,
but the noise mine made was a very low hum. When the truck was put on the
rack and run in gear while listening underneath, it was quite evident where
the noise was coming from.
Hope it helps.

Jeff

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Jeff Earthwerks Unli

2003-02-22          49784

I had a '95 Ram 4x4 club cab with the gas 360. Not only could it get out of its own way it got 10 mpg. The tranny went out at 13,000 miles and the axle went out at 30,000. Chrysler bought it back--got all my payments PLUS interest PLUS no deduction for miles and $4000 for accessories.

Put that money back into a '99 Ram with quad cab and diesel and 4x4. Upgarded to heavy duty trans and transfer case. At 120,000 miles and pulling a backhoe (in overdrive no less) and other heavy equipment for past 4 years with no major problems other than 4 electric fuel pumps and 5 track bars. It will plow snow like no body's business. ....

Link:   Some of what I pull for work

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
ruger454

2003-02-23          49814

I find it ironic that Dodge and Jeep has been having axle problems with DANA so they are switching to corporate for the Jeeps and regular trucks and the h.d. trucks are getting AAM axles. That's not stopping G.M. from putting the
Dana 60 into the all wheel steering trucks. That's scary. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-24          49889

I currently Have the Duramax (GMC) with allison. I love it, No problems so far, I Have talked to dozens of Duramax owners and Have yet to speak to a single person who has had a problem although I am positive they are out there as any mechanical item may have some tech issues. I really like the way the Dodge looks, and I would love to have another Cummings Diesel, BUT... I hate Chrysler. They burned me real bad on their warranty, I thought ok just a bad dealer and kept going untill one of their factory reps looked at it, what a joke. The two guys that built my home both ordered new Dodge Trucks and they BOTH had so many problems with them that they reatained a counsler and sued under the "Lemon Law". Which sounds like exactly where I would be if I had a rear end that had been re-built that many times, good grief. My wife drives a 95 Bronco and loves it but its getting a little old. Interstingly enough Its REALLY hard to find a short bed regular cab truck (4x4) with leather seats and all the goodies. In fact the ONLY manufacturer I Find that offers this combo this year is Dodge with the Laramie. I gotta say that Hemi engine is calling me...I mean her. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Randy Eckard

2003-02-25          49959

ruger454

What do you mean that jeep "switching to corporate for axles"?

Thanks
Randy ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
ruger454

2003-02-28          50278

The jeeps are using more chrysler axles (8.25") than using all dana axles like they used to.

LEMON LAW:The lemon law is a joke because I know two people specifically that tried to lemon law chevy pickups yes chevy pickups and when it came down to it G.M. offered them both substantial amounts of money to settle without actually
turning the truck back in as the lemon that they were. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-02-28          50280

So if they got paid....substantial amounts, why is the lemon law a joke ? That's the law that allowed them to file suit. Clearly GM didn't have that big old Casull up against their head. I know what you say is a Fact because I did The same thing on a 1998 Caddy STS. All I had to do was make enough noise and I got a nice $ amount. Maybe I didn't understand what your saying but to me that seems like a good thing. Every motor company has been sued under this law. No exceptions. Vehicles are obviously mechanical things, Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes not. My peeve with Chrysler is the way they treat you on warranty work. I have NEVER had that problem with GM and I have always found Ford service the best. But that's just me. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
cutter

2003-03-01          50290

I have had some involvement with dealerships. I saw Chrysler replace transmissions on cars and vans well beyond the warranty period, as high as 100,000 miles. Those are the 4 speed automatics that had troubles, they even dropped the $100 deductible on those within the warranty period. Dodge replaced the engine in my brother-in-law's Ram due to an oil pump failure at 58,000 miles, well out of warranty. He did have to pay labor but I believe if he had put up more of a fuss, that would have been covered too. Another brother-in-law of mine works for a Chrysler dealer, he told me Dodge is replacing those bad axles well beyond the warranty period, something Dana should be eating (in my opinion).

As far as the lemon law goes, I used to attend the auctions for those vehicles. GM is giving you money to shut you up for two reasons, 1}it may be less costly for them 2}once a vehicle goes through the process, the title is branded as defective. How many of those do you suppose a manufacturer wants out there for either publicity or liability reasons?

From my experience, Ford is one of the worst for taking care of a known problem/defect, it almost takes a court order (ask my son, he has been there). But no matter what brand you buy, it is ALWAYS a headache and a bad experience to go through the lemon law process. I have to admit, the N/H tractor I owned probably would have qualified but there is no law out there for tractors! ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-03-01          50291

I agree. It's always a pain in the keyster no matter what. I am also certain that it is their best interest to get theese things settled quickly. By the time you get to that point you just want to get out of the deal so bad you almost don't care what they give as long as you can get rid of the lemon. I have certainly heard a number of ford horror stories, some from family as well. ....

Dodge Duramax

View my Photos
ChesapekeBoy

2003-04-11          52988

I had a 1997 2500 with a 5 speed 360. I had no problems... 15 mpg, traded it with 95,000. Got a 2001.5 2500 quad cab Cummins. I have over 50,000 miles on it and have had no problems. Runs 19-21 mph. This is a 5 speed as well. Both trucks were/are 4x4's. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login