Go Bottom Go Bottom

Should I get R-4 or AG tires

View my Photos
Frank
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-22          24548

Next week I will order MY "very own" TC35D FWD with 16LA Front loader.Should I get it with R-4 industrial tires or with agricultural tires?In the winter I will use it to move snow and I do not want to use chains. The rest of the year I will use it in the woods, in my fields cutting hay, and moving dirt around with the loader. Youall must have had experience with these problems. If you were going to buy a new TC35D, what tires would you order?Thanks for your help. Frank

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-22          24555

Frank, the toughest decision I had when I bought my tractor was deciding between R4s and Turfs. If you have seen my recent posting, I'm going to get a second set of front tires & wheels so I can have the best of both worlds. Roger Loving and others will hopefully share their insights here, but here are my views in a nutshell: Ags (R1s) will give the best traction across most conditions (except maybe in snow/ice where turfs are arguably better). Industrials (R4s) are the toughest, most puncture resistant, and the best on pavement. In the woods the R4s will be the most puncture-proof, but in muddy woods the R1s will be better. It's a tough call. ....

View my Photos
gary mason

2001-02-22          24559

Frank, my tc35d should be in it's "home" tomorrow afternoon with R4s. I opted for the r4s this time because about 80% of the time I'm not on soft turf, but hard/dry or soft, loose dirt/turf. I need some extra traction. My old b2400hsd had modified r4s where they we're quite as agreesive or deep, and the front tires we're regular turf tires. That's the way I bought it new. The front tires we're not too great on loose dirt unless the was a load in the bucket. I could dig a good hole with the rear tires trying to get a stump to give itself up. I could still leave tracts in soft soil with both fron and rear tires. I think the thing is that on soil if it's wet/soft your going to leave marks with any kind of tire. Now snow is another subject we don't have to deal with here. But slippery red clay is as bad and it sticks to everything.
gary ....

View my Photos
steve arnold

2001-02-22          24562

Frank, I agree with everything Jeff said and push you
towards r-4s for three reasons - If you change your mind down
the road you can sell r-4s quicker than r-1s and r-1s
are cheaper to buy when you can't roll them into a tractor
loan. And there is a trade-off on front tire traction
between r-1s and r-4s because you have 3-4" wider footprint
with the r-4. Also, I would suggest having the dealer
offsetting the rear wheels second widest position before
you take delivery. The wider stance helps with stability
especially with doing loader work. No matter which tire
you decide on it'll take two men and a small boy to handle
a loaded four foot tall tire. ....

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2001-02-22          24563

Frank, even in the worse conditions I've worked my Cub compacts, all with turf tires, I have never gotten stuck with the mfwd hydro (except on wet ice, used the hoe to drag myself out), the 2wd drive machines get stuck frequently. Even working in the woods, around sappling stumps, I have never had a puncture or damage. The turf tires hold up well and give me the best traction on rock, and in New England, I work on rock a lot. My big machine, the Case 580, has industrial tires, and in mud or on wet ice, it still gets hung up even in front drive and with the dif locked. I do think the R4's are tougher in the long run. Go figure? Guess it all boils down to conditions. ....

View my Photos
Boondox

2001-02-22          24564

Frank -- That's a really tough call. I'm not sure what sort of conditions you're up against. I live in Northern Vermont. My neighbor is a ski resort and my land is pretty steep; in mud season the whole place is a mess. Under these conditions I've found that only ags will work for me. Turfs spin and R4 treads clog when the going gets mushy, but ags have always been there for me, though I run chains in the winter. Wouldn't need them if my land was flat -- they do just fine in the driveway -- but the moment I head uphill all traction is lost. Did I mention we see a lot of ice..?

As for durability, I heat with wood and use the tractor to harvest logs. Never once had a flat with the ags, though I lost a few valve stems before having stem guards welded in place. The turfs lost their bead several times when I forgot to bump up the pressure before doing loader work, so I tended to baby them. It was a total PIA for me, so I switched back to ags and am happy.

Pete ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-22          24569

Frank, confused yet? So far we have definite votes for R4s, Ags, and Turfs. Every time I read a new post I laugh harder because it reminds me of how I agonized over this a year ago. Pete up in the Boondox reminds me that most of my neighbors in the Adirondacks who primarily work the woods with their compacts opt for ags. Mostly because of the mud and snow, but some of it is economic also. BTW Pete, are you by that ski area in the NE Kingdom, the one on the Border, or one of those fancier areas in the "Vermont Alps"? Your area was one of my favorite stomping grounds as a young man and your climate and conditions are much the same as what I encounter in the northern Adirondacks. Unless, of course, you are in the NE Kingdom: that area is more like Alaska! ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-22          24570

BTW Frank and Gary, congratulations to the expecting fathers of new Boomers! My tractor was the best "therapy" I ever invested in! ....

View my Photos
Donald

2001-02-22          24574

Hey Frank, congrads on the 35D. I'm sure you'll enjoy it a great deal. As for the question about R1 or R4; All three tires have their uses, and one is better in some areas than the other two. The way I see it, Turfs are best for lawns, R1's are best for farming/plowing working 80-90% of the time in loose dirt, & R4 are best all-around tires. They are easy on lawns, yet provide plenty of traction in dirt. They have more surface on the ground than R1's and seem tougher. Most construction contractors use R4's. They're great all around. We use R1's on our Ford 4100 "farm" tractor & R4's on the TC29D that's used mostly for loader work & mowing. As long as you stay off lawns with the R1's, I'm sure you'll be happy with either tire. Good Luck! ....

View my Photos
Boondox

2001-02-23          24610

Jeff -- We're on the outskirts of Stowe, which is rapidly becoming one big gated community. Yet another reason to like the Ags is the pattern they leave in the dirt road. That washboard texture sure slows down the tourists who come rocketing up the road!

Pete ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-23          24635

Yeah, Pete, good reason for the ags. I particularly like it when the beemers and mercedes try to pick their way down the road after my dairy farming neighbor has been out "doing some spreading". Makes you want to get some cattle. ....

View my Photos
Dave Wells

2001-02-25          24676

Boondox, I like your use of the tires to slow down tourists. Wonder if it works as well as frost heaves?

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-02-26          24723

Well,
I have a John Deere 4400 with approxmately 360 pounds of wheel weights on the back and 240 pounds plus on the front,and the R-4 tires are great if you like to move approxmately 3"to 4" of snow with a back blade and sit in 4wd with the differential lock pressed down and not move more than 2 ft on a slight incline get the R-4 or if you have to get down in the woods on a little bit of clay and spin your tires and watch the lugs immediately load up with mud and not hardly scratch the surface stay with the R-4s(all surface traction and no deep bite),but if you want something really aggresive and know you have the best traction you can possibly get (the next step up being chains) get the R-1s.The R-4s pull good on dry soil and do offer more width and stability,but if you want to get the most aggressive tread you can possibly get on rubber do not fool around with the light weight stuff and want serious traction go with the R-1 tires where nothing less will do. ....

View my Photos
Frank

2001-02-27          24768

Well I did it. Ordered my TC35D today. Price was great $18,200 included 16LA FEL, loaded tires with tubes, welded hook on bucket and rear wheel valve stem protectors, and block heater. I decided on R-4 tires because they seemed to be in the middle of the road. Besides they are 8 ply instead of the 4 ply R-1's.
AND R-4's were $550 CHEAPER than R-1's. When I asked about this they told me that the reverse is true of smaller tires where the R-1 is cheaper than the R-4.
Thanks for all your help that enabled me to "make up my mind". ....

View my Photos
Robert Weiler

2001-02-27          24793

Frank, sounds like you done real good! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login