Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cold weather

View my Photos
imtools
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-22          74687

Last week when our temperature was in the single digits (not too common on Long Island), I trailered my tractor to my workplace. Not only wouldn't the engine start without a jump but once started, the hydraulics for my plow would only work in one direction (couldn't push the spool IN-apparently there is water in my oil and it froze). After sitting overnight in my garage again, all was fine. My questions are as follows:
1. Can I get the water out of the oil by just draining the bottom or should I drain it all? Anybody had this problem before? Could it be something else?
2. What is/are the most effective means to start these small diesels in cold weather? Battery warmer, dipstick or pan heater, fuel conditioner, etc.?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cold weather

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-22          74692

On the bottom of your valve there are caps that need to be removed and allow the water to get out. If you put small holes in the bottom of them they will drain by themselves in the future. Put a block heater on it for the starting problem. ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
TomG

2004-01-22          74701

I don't know how long it's been since the oil was changed. In cool damp climates it's a good idea to change it every couple of years whether the hours call for it or not. Water will build up due to condensation. Old torn shift boots on some tractors that sit out in the rain is another way to get water in the TX.

Block heater plus battery blanket when it's very cold is what I use and also crack the hand throttle more than normal. It's also good to clean all battery contacts and especially the chassis end of the ground cable every few years and keep a trickle charger on it if the tractor isn't stated frequently. If the battery has a few years on it I'd charge it fully and run a capacity test with a hydrometer. ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-22          74706

I've had a similar problem with my FEL valving. When the temp is well below freezing I can't get the valve to the float position. All four power positions are fine and up till now I've been ignoring it. After an hour of use the oil heats up and it's fine but refreezes when it cools down. This has basically been the case since it was new so there must be some water in the valve. Can this one be drained also? ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-22          74728

imtools
If you go with a block heater and need a 17mm hex head
give me a shout and I will mail you one. I bought a large allen wrench and cut off a few inches and put a socket on it. I read on another forum where they were mailing one around.
Not sure if yours will be a 17mm but your welcome to it.
The hex head socket is fairly expensive,for a one time use.
The block heater works great. I started mine well below 0
last week.

Cold weather

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-01-22          74741

Yes, as Tom says, regardless of hours, change your hydraulic fluid completely every two years. It may seem like a pain to have to deal with so much fluid, but if your dealer sells it, he should take it from you used, and he'll properly dispose of it. While you are at it, install new filters! Sometimes it isn't water, just thick fluid can be enough to slow a spool or keep it from working. A good cold weather test? Push you boom spool to float, if the float won't stay locked your fluid is way too cold. In real cold weather I used a grill tarp to slow down the intake of air over the radiator. I made it out of canvas with a zipper down the middle and snaps. With the zipper closed the grill was closed off, after the engine warmed, I unzipped the tarp, folded the ends over, and snapped them. I got the idea from diesel delivery trucks around our area, you guys probably have seen them. ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
harvey

2004-01-22          74748

grinder another easier fix is to use a 17mm hex head bolt with a nut locked on. Then use your socket. ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-22          74749

yes I guess that would work. I found a 10" 17mm allen wrench
for $6.00. Power hacksaw and I had one. The socket was twenty +.
Do any tractor companies install a factory heater? ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-01-22          74750

Imtools,

Where did you pick up your machine from? just curious because I'm on the island and theire are no Kubota dealers near us...

Ducati996 ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
imtools

2004-01-23          74784

Art
I will take a look at those caps-thanx

Tom
Do you know a good source for a block heater and battery blanket?

Grinder
Thanx for the offer but I have a 17mm hex wrench back from VW beetle days (transmission drain plug wrench)

Ducati996
I bought my Kubota at an auction in Connecticutt in November. There is a Bobcat dealer in Holtsville that used to be a Kubot dealer but can still get parts (Bobcat of LI 631-447-2228) ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-23          74786

Some of the larger farm tractors are currently coming with not only engine block heaters but transmission heaters too. They also have what they call a cold start package which sends them in with an extra or a larger battery as well as either or a thermo start package. On the compacts I see no options for the block heaters out of the factory yet. Often jsut to put a charger on the battery to keep it at 100 percent during the cold is all that is needed to start them. ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
TomG

2004-01-23          74803

My Ford had a block heater when I bought it. I bought the battery blanket (around 250W I think) at a local box store. I believe they're fairly generic. I don't use it except when it's very cold but I do keep a 1A trickle charger on it most times through a plug I installed in my work-lights circuit. I use almost straight #1 diesel fuel this time of year and it probably starts e bit easier than the standard winter blend #2 fuel for this area.

I think it's possible for water to get into a valve assembly, freeze and jam the internal linkages. I believe that's the issue Art is referring to and his comment about drains is something I hadn't thought of. My comments about changing oil is another issue. I think either or both could cause the problem.

TX heaters seem like a good idea. I do use magnetic ones sometimes but my multi-season TX oil is adequate most times. I don't think the external magnetic ones do much for TX oil. Fortunately it seldom snows when it's really cold here so I don't have to start the tractor very often in extreme conditions. ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-01-23          74804

My Case 580 Super had an engine/block heater that was a bolt on. I'm not sure if it was a Case item or not, maybe an aftermarket unit. It made the electric meter spin like mad, and being cheap, I seldom used it. May I recommend a portable rechargeable automotive jump stater. These are compact dry cell batteries designed for easy carrying - the one I bought has 300 cca. Hand carry it from the warm house, jump start, and recharge as required. No extension cord needed. Cost about $40 at Wally Mart. ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-23          74807

Tom, the valves used on these tractors get warm from the fluid and when cooling they create condensation which sits in the cap on the bottom that protects the other end of the valve from exposure. Unfortunatly the water freezes and restricts the valve movement till thawed. ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
TomG

2004-01-23          74817

Thanks Art! Yep, I see all that frost all over my cases, fuel tank and engine and just know it has to be on the insides too. I just never connected the condensation thing to valve assemblies before so it's good I now know. I must have a different type valve because you'd sure think it'd happen to me considering where I live. ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-01-23          74837

My L3130 has a three-prong 110V plug hanging off the engine block. I just assumed it was a block heater and was standard equipment. ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-23          74838

Tom, it seems like the problem has surfaced in the last ten years or so. There are far more loaders being sold now then ever. We figure about 3/4s of the tractors going out have them on. ShortMagnum,I do hope he didn't give ya a hat too! I rate that as 100 dollar value! ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-01-23          74849

At least $100 worth. He gave me two hats but I've already complained about the color on this site. :-) ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-01-23          74852

If I had a Kubota and was given tan colored hats I'd go down to a fabric store and buy some orange dye and try to dye them. Don't know how close to Kubota orange you could get though. :) There must be a market opportunity here somewhere. ....

Cold weather

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-01-23          74857

Most of the people who commented on the color didn't want the attention that a pure orange hat would give them. I on the other hand like it. I wear my red Jonsereds chainsaw hat whenever I'm with my friends who own Stihls. They're jealous because they didn't get a hat with thier saws. :-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login