Go Bottom Go Bottom

Power Steering Problems BX1800

View my Photos
stemmler1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-27          67205

Need help. The power steering on my BX1800 just stopped working. Everything else works, no fluids leaking, etc. The wheel turns but the wheels do not move. If I put the loader down and lift up the front end, the wheels will slightly turn but once the loader is up, the wheels will not turn.
Any suggestions...
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-27          67208

I do not have a Kubota, but what you describe sounds like it could be a damaged seal on the actuator cylinder piston allowing fluid to flow past the pistons without doing any work. It could also be a bad pump or pressure bypass valve. If the system is producing pressure against a line that is closed off with a pressure gauge, then it is probably the actuator piston. If there is no significant pressure, then look at the pump first and the servo valve second. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-27          67210

I seem to remember that the steering on that unit is described as hydrostatic power steering. There may not be a separate PS pump. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-27          67229

If you have warreantee left then call your dealer. My thoughts are that this has to do with the hand pump below the steering wheel but can't tell you from the curent info. It could be the steering cylinder but chances are the wheels whould have turned while in the air. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-27          67231

Art, good point. The cylinder packing would have to be almost completely gone to not move the wheels when they were off the ground. ....

View my Photos
stemmler1

2003-10-27          67233

Thanks for your help. I have call 10 Kubota dealers this morning and not one can give me the slightest clue on what is causing the power steering to not work. As for the warrenty, they can not even tell me if the tractor would be covered for this type of repair. Tractor was purchased 18 months ago. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-27          67257

If you bought it new it should have a 3 year warranty. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-27          67258

That is 24 month on that area. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-28          67313

Sounds like there may be warranty coverage so I'll save any trouble shooting ideas.

The way I use the term 'hydrostatic PS' is to identify purely hydraulic steering that doesn't have a direct mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the tractor wheels. My Ford has 'power assisted' PS. It is a conventional sector/Pittman arm design into a drag link and tie rods. The sector has some hydraulic assist. My PS does not have a separate pump but is fed from a priority valve in the high-pressure line. I think it'd be more common to feed PS from the tractor hydraulics or a separate pump rather than from a HST pump. If there's only one pump on the tractor, there's likely a priority valve, and that could be a source of the problem. All of this of course is not withstanding Art's comment about a hand pump--which I don't know about but I'm interested.

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-28          67315

Mark, the third year is engine and drive train. Tom, it baiscally is a direction valve that sits under the steering wheel and sends the oil to one side or the other of the steering cylinder. Yes it is worked from a steering wheel but could actually be made to be a standard two way valve but for some they might have difficulty driving without a wheel to hang on to! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-29          67404

Got it now and thanks! My PS has something similar--a direction valve operated by the up and down thrust of the steering wheel shaft working against the sector. I was thinking: 'A pump and operated by hand--wonder what it does?' ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login