Go Bottom Go Bottom

roto-tiller drive shaft too long

View my Photos
Robert Schenk
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-11          13660

Just purchased a King Kutter roto-tiller 48 inch and when I went to hook up the drive shaft its too long. Has anyone else had this problem? Can a I just cut a couple of inches off myself? Would like to hear comments on King Kutter tillers also they seem to very heavy and reasonably priced. I paid $984.00 at New Alexandria tractor here in central Pennsylvania.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
bud in oh.

2000-03-11          13661

Robert: I own a Deere 60" roto-tiller and had to cut a couple of inches off pto shaft. Did it myself with no problem. ....

View my Photos
Don in Oregon

2000-03-11          13662

Robert, Manufacturers always put a drive line on that will be long enough for any possible application and many times you may have to shorten them. A couple things to remember though. You must pull the two halves of the drive line apart and cut equal lengths off each half. Take the shields off and cut them seperately. You want to shorten the shields about an inch more than the shaft so when you go to slide the halves back together you will have about an inch of shaft showing on each half. If you cut the shaft and shield flush, you will have a terrible time trying to slide the halves together. A local machine shop should be able to do this for you in just a few minutes. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-03-11          13669

A local machine shop could do it all right, but when I bought my Bush Hog tiller, the manual came with instructions, including pictures, for simply cutting it down with a hacksaw, and that's what I had to do. It was really quite easy to cut. ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-03-12          13675

I experienced the same thing with my Befco tiller. The manual explained how to shorten the drive shaft using a hack saw. It took some time and effort but I did get it shortened using the hack saw. ....

View my Photos
RCH

2000-03-12          13687

Cutting the PTO the right length is important.If it's too long you can snap off the PTO shaft when the implement is fully raised (the PTO is fully telescoped in,and if too long,is trying to 'lever' the the tractor's PTO off) If too short,the sliding part separates if the implement falls into a depression and the end hooked to the tractor is spinning and flopping around back there. Fortunately,I've done the latter but not the first one by cutting an unequal amount off and not measuring carefully.It makes a helluva racket and can tear-up the shield and other 3 point parts. Snapping off a PTO shaft is BIG bucks. ....

View my Photos
Jim

2000-03-12          13688

Robert, I have been a KK distributor for some time. The gear drive tiller they make is by far the best value in tillers. It out ways & out performs anything in its class. It also has 6 knives per flange as opposed to 4 by many competitors.

Jim ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-03-12          13694

Can anyone explain how to measure for the correct PTO shaft length. I recently bought a used Woods tiller from someone who was running it on a JD4200. Since I have a JD4100, I assumed the driveline would be the correct length. I just mounted the tiller once and made a few trial test rows, didn't raise the unit all the way up. Everything seemed fine, but now I want to make sure before using it again. How should I check this out? ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-03-13          13697

Jim, I'll abbreviate this a little, but give you the instructions in the Bush Hog manual. Pull the driveline apart, raise and lower the tiller to determine the shortest distance between the tractor PTO shaft and the tiller's gearbox input shaft. Attach the outer (female) section to the tractor PTO shaft. Hold the driveline sections parallel to each other to determine position if it's too long. Each section should end approximately 3 inches short of reaching the universal joint shield mark on the opposite section. (If some needs to be cut off, mark them.) Now raise and lower tiller to determine position with greatest distance between PTO shaft and gearbox input shaft. Hold driveline sections parallel to each other again and see that the distance between the two marks (the amount of overlap you would be left with) is a minimum of 6 inches (DO NOT USE it if the overlap is less than 6 inches).

I omitted most of the safety warnings you are probably familiar with, like shutting down the tractor while you're measuring, blocking the tiller when you shut down the tractor to measure, etc. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-03-13          13713

Bird Senter. Thank you very much for the info. I'll check it out. ....

View my Photos
judd

2000-03-14          13743

What kind of tractor? there are some tractors being sold that do not meet ASAE standards as far as hitch geometry ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login