Go Bottom Go Bottom

My idea of a PROPER and MAN s Pickup Truck

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-06          68150

Arrrggh, Arrrrrrgh, Arrrrrgghhh!!!!!! (Big Tim The Toolman Taylor Grunt!)

Link:   The way a pickup truck should be ;-)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-06          68167

Thats my first pic of the IH's model of that but have seen many 650 fords set up like that. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-11-07          68202

Randy, if you get that pickup and a few gallons of JD Green paint, you should be set. ;-) ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-07          68209

Oh Yeah! Mike, but will it fit in the garage? ;-) ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-07          68218

All you need is a proper mans garage. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-11-08          68289

It will fit in mine but I am not sure I want to park the thing at the mall or parallel park it. I get nervous enough with mine. ....

View my Photos
lpdcac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-08          68294

Without looking up the specs and relying on just the picture I'd say that you might have to feed at least three parking meters if you park along the street. Parking in the mall lot? Piece of cake. Just take your motorscooter with you to get back to the mall entrance.

Out on the highway I'd wager that few people are going to try to slice and dice with you. And if you rig up a heavy, spring-loaded, sidemounted, proximity sensor trip, retractable kicker block then when anybody gets too close to you the kicker block will trip and boot them sideways about three lanes. Gets their attention every time! ....

View my Photos
mbrule

2003-11-11          68492

Check out the GMC Topkick, saw one i persona couple of months ago. Nice Truck! The one I saw was a 2 door not 4 like the one below. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-11          68493

Does it come with a hydraulic lifting tailgate loader. I would guess you would have fun putting 50 pounds objects in the box of one of those things.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-11-11          68503

I guess if I was looking for a work truck of that size I would look at the Hino or Mitsus that Murf talked about in another post.
If I wanted to turn heads I think I would got the route of a friend of mine that built up a 5th wheel tow truck out of a 50's snub noise Ford cab over and a sleeper. It was in Hot Rod mag. I will see if I can get a picture. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-12          68537

We have a fairly short wheelbase F800 single axle with only a 10' dump box & 2' tool bin behind cab. Even at that you have to make about a 19 point turn unless there's room to make a circle.

The Hino on the other hand is a VERY different animal, if you are on a 4 lane road (two driven, two parking lanes) you can make a U-turn inside the curbs in a single shot. The fact that you actually sit ahead of the front wheels is a little disconcerting at first, especially for a passenger when you make a tight left turn.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-11-12          68543

I have always had a soft spot for the offroad trucks that they run in the Paris-Dakaar rally. I have never seen one in the US set up for offroad, but I think that the really good ones are made by Iveco or something like that.

These are big trucks in the 2.5 ton class and really move through the sand.

A high priority for me is to always have a garage/shop for large equipment. I haven't built a new one since I moved this year. Nothing says ARGHHHH like a 14 foot motorized shop door and an overhead hoist. ....

View my Photos
bnrhuffman

2003-11-12          68550

AC,
Are you talking about the Mercedes Benz Unimog?
There are two Unimogs with huge ass snowblowers mounted on them sitting at a Freightliner dealer on my way to work. Everytime I drive by, I have to wipe the drool off my chin.
I thought they stopped importing them back in the 70s but these two are brand new. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-11-12          68555

I wasn't talking about the Unimog, but I think that there is a version of those that they run in that offroad race also. I didn't know what they were called, but they have the characteristic Mercedes emblem. I have some videos of the event that my friends took. I will have a look at them when I get the chance.

Most of the trucks that I remember from that rally are cab-over designs with some sort of low profile box on the back. Maybe the box was to carry fuel. ;-) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-12          68576

AC, you were correct, they are Iveco. They are custom built for that race, but based on a prioduction truck intended for "sub-standard roads and conditions" in third world countries, etc.

BNR, you were right too, M-B stopped importing trucks to NA in the early 70's but Frieghtliner and M-B now have a strategic alliance which will see Frieghtliner dealers carrying M-B trucks, including the famous Unimog.

These are really neat units, they are also available with a standard Cat. 2 3pth & pto, front, back, both or either one alone.

Wait a minute, "proper man's truck WITH a 3pth & pto....

Now where getting somewhere .......

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-12-03          70261

oh aw UNIMOG The worlds most univeral truck. Nothing comes close that is stock. Most customs can't match it etheir. I have seen a lone unimog drag out a jeep and hummer at the same time. thanks god for those 20 gears. They can dig out a city from snow and then go fight a fire, then mow the grass, then place telephone poles, and more. I swear to god i will have an unimog. The news one start at $75000. Used U models get $20000 and up even if 20 years old. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login