Go Bottom Go Bottom

Roger Whats so great about Yanmar 336D

View my Photos
Nuclear_Weapon7
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-01-11          11838

Roger, Whats so great about Yanmar 336D ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-01-11          11845

Thanks for asking! Honesty forces me to say that by today's standards the answer would be that the Yanmar 336D is very common. In 1980 it was the absolute top of the line in compact tractors, with 3 cylinders, 33 HP, shuttle shift with 12 speeds forward, 4 syncronized reverses, creeper gears, integral power steering, high pressure hydraulics, draft control, independent PTO, a heavily-built matching quick detach loader, and a tighter turning radius than a lttle red wagon. They handled nicely and sold well up until they were discontinued in 1987-89. The 336 turned out to be a rugged design, Yanmar has chosen to support them well, and parts are readily available.
The general size and features of this tractor are common now - though unusual 20 years ago. The entire 4000 series of JDs has a heritage going back to this tractor. The JD 950 through 1070 series was based around many features of the Yanmar 336D. Most of todays tractors are much more comfortable and roomy with the modern wide and flat platforms and even better hydraulics. But it is still unusual to find such a combination of good mechanical features all in one tractor.

View my Photos
Reed

2000-01-12          11896

You left out price. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-01-13          11902

Why thanks, Reed. So I did! The 336D was way expensive when it was new. They are less now. I also left out what most people consider the primary feature - and that is the column mounted power shift. This lets a person up or downshift under full throttle/full load just by moving ones finger tips. Very civilized. ....

View my Photos
MChalkley

2000-01-13          11907

Roger, how well does the powershift on your tractor work? I noticed you said you can shift at full throttle. Is it a very quick shift? I mean suppose you shift from say 2nd to 3rd while pulling a plow or something. Can you do that without using the clutch and without feeling like you're tearing it up? I'll bet the 12 forward speeds are nice. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-01-13          11928

You are right about the powershift being a lot of fun. It works just like the power shift on the larger 3020 and 4020 series JDs. If I am traveling in the lower three ranges or doing light work then it shifts so fast and smooth that you can't even tell except by listening to the engine. No clutching is required unless you just want to. The powershift has its several sets of hydraulically actuated clutches built onto the transmission shafts right where the syncros would be in a syncromesh transmission.
Under full load in the higher gears it still shifts just as fast, but now the change in torque will make the tractor lurch and there is a smacking sound as the clutches go home. It can't be good for the tractor, but failures seem to be rare. Still, I try to let up on the throttle for an instant and this makes it much smoother. Power shifting in high range (road gear) is when you can really make the tractor jump, and then the clutches makes a sound a lot like a screen door slamming. You can tell that I never do this! ;-)
I can't leave this subject without telling my powershift story: The day I got this tractor home a friend came up to see it. Naturally I just had to show him the power shift. So here I go whizzing by on the dirt road somewhere in third range...and I look over at my buddy....and casually moved the dashboard shift lever to what I thought was high......but turned out to be reverse.
It is amazing how quickly a tractor can change directions. It hopped about three times, slung me forward across the steering wheel and in the blink of an eye it was doing about the same speed - only backwards. Except for having the breath knocked out of me I was unhurt, and the tractor is fine, but my buddy almost herniated himself laughing........

View my Photos
MChalkley

2000-01-13          11930

I can imagine - I just about herniated myself laughing just now, and I didn't even see it! At least you proved it's tough. But I'll bet you had a little trouble convincing your neighbor that's what you were doing. ....

View my Photos
Jim

2000-01-15          11976

Have to agree w/ Roger. the 336D was ahead of its time as was the 186,226,276.
the power shift is the same principle as the "GST" in Kubota. The NICEST tractor of its time. I buy them whenever I can. It just gooes to show you how long the big green monster can milk the same old same old. had JD put the power shift in their Yanmars, they would own the compact market. Jim ....

View my Photos
Nuclear_Weapon7

2000-01-16          11987

Thanks Roger. I had gone to Karachi for substitute duty in place of my brother at our wholesale flower shop in Karachi and my borhter's computer's modem was not working so I couldnot see your response for so many days. After reading the feature list of Yanmar-336D , I wish that either Massey Ferguson or Fiat to manufacture a tractor with Hydrostatic or GST transmission in PAKISTAN. Nuclear_Weapon7.
Hyderabad,
Sindh,
PAKISTAN.

View my Photos
yanmars

2008-05-31          154098

To Jim: Are you still purchasing Yanmar 336d tractors and where are you located. Do you also have parts for the same or know someone that does? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login