Welding Aluminum: Welding  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review Welding Aluminum: Welding -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Welding Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-27-2006, 20:55 Post: 123646
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Welding Aluminum

Ok, I have seen the previous postings about welding AL with gas, and duly noted the expertise. The closest that I desire to have contact with gas is after eating a bowl of Hot chili !!! Laughing out loud

Seriously though, I have been welding for some 30 years, but never AL...rather steel usually. Recently started with a TIG, but, it wasn't mine though I did get rather proficient with it, and had to leave it behind.

My question is this. I have a Lincln AC225 Box. I have been told, that I cannot weld AL with it, as it needs DC for the proper weld current. (I vaguely remember such info from my shop instructor some, ahem, 30 years ago)
Just reading an article in the "Miller Welding" Catalog about a unit called the "Econotig". This affords AC/DC TIG/Stick welding. In the text, it reads "AC output for AL welding and DC output for mild/stainless steel".

Hmmm, I want to weld AL, but now am somewhat befuddled. Anyone know if I can weld AL with my AC unit with AL stick, or must I reinvest in a different unit for ? $500.00 - $1500.00 or more?

Thanks for the input

- Willie H

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 01-28-2006, 22:15 Post: 123697
jdcman

Filter by User
 Welding Aluminum

Willie,

To TIG AL you'll need a unit capable of AC with HF. The High Frequency is used to maintain the arc during the sinewave transitions from positive to negative. On the newer inverter machines having the HF on continues isn't necessary --- these machines use square waves with fast edges.

I always advise folks to buy bigger than they think they will need in terms of machine capability.

A good approximation is about an amp per one thousands of an inch in material thickness.

Also, in my opinion, one of the biggest advances in recent years has been the added feature allowing one to adjust the AC frequency of the main current waveform. This gives a real nice focused arc, which is very useful on thinner material. This feature is only available on inverter machines vs the older traditional transformer machines, which are typically fixed sine.

Although I've had several Miller machines, I really don't know anything about the econo Tig. But if you do buy a new machine I'd recommend sticking with a name brand. When it comes to the mid to large size machines from either Lincoln or Miller it's like a Chevy vs Ford deal. I've had both machines and have my preferences just like everybody else.

Also, I've never tried to arc AL, but I've heard that the process isn't really all that pleasant to work with.

TIG really is the way to go if you want to work with AL. Note, not all TIG machines come equiped with the AC and HF capability. DC is used for mild steels, SS, Cu, etc..

JD

01-28-2006, 22:55 Post: 123700
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Welding Aluminum

JD -
Thanks for the input, it's appreciated. I agree, I have used both Lincoln as well as Miller - they both have there good points as well as bad, and both work well.

I just decided that I have a lot of projects that require AL welding. I had heard that "NO, you can't weld AL with stick". Then I read you could. Then I was told that "you cannot weld AL with AC" (from a Merriam Graves shop). Then I read in the Miller catalog, that this "Econotig" allows for AC Welding with stick for AL. Just trying to make sense of it all, before I make an investment that I may (or may not) need.

Just for ha ha's, maybe I'll drive down to the local Home Depot and pick up some AL stick, and see what happens on some scrap...then I know first hand what I should do - or not. (!)

I have come to the conclusion, that the TIG is probably the way, with either the helium or argon masking, but we'll see.
One thing that I do know, is that the weld of AL is not as strong as the base material, due to temperatures before, during and after welding. Unlike steel, AL has a melting point of about 1200 degrees F, where steel is around 2700 degrees F.

I have done alot of plain steel, and as of late alot of stainless, so I suppose there is no time like the present to learn Aluminum, and it's traits.
Thanks again JD

- Willie H

01-28-2006, 23:34 Post: 123704
jdcman

Filter by User
 Welding Aluminum

Willie,

Mind if I ask what it is that you’re trying to weld, i.e., material alloy, thickness, use, etc.?

I primarily weld 30 to 250 mil 6061 AL.

I have an older Lincoln 335 Square Wave and a Thermal Arc 300 GTSW. The Lincoln weighs 600 pounds and the TA 90. Both rated at 300 amps but the duty cycle of the Lincoln is over twice that of the TA. I must say though, that because of the frequency adjust feature on the TA it’s my first choice of the two machines of late.

In my younger days I could butt a couple of coke cans together and put a nice bead around them. Now days my eyes aren’t what they use to be and it has had a bad effect on my hand eye coordination. But the significances of this is that you require a machine with good low end current control to do this type of work. In my opinion, Lincoln is the machine to beat. The TA doesn’t come close on the bottom end and neither did any of the Millers I had. I’ve been told that the Miller Aerowave is one heck of a machine, , (for 10K it better be), with good control all the way down to one amp for micro work. But I’ve never used one.

You can see where this is going … your decision about machines will have a lot to do with the type of work that you have planned.

As you probably already know, there are also a bunch of accessories that one has to buy before you can start to use the welder for TIG work.

If you put up a wish list of what it is you want to do, I’ll try and make suggestions based on my experience if that would be helpful.

BTW, where did you get that info re the weld strength of AL? If you're comparing the AL to steel you're correct. But the fact is that you can TIG weld AL, (alloy dependent here), and stress relieve with no adverse effects just as you can with mild steel.

Hope this helps and I haven't added to the confusion.

JD

01-29-2006, 19:28 Post: 123735
hick11h1369

Filter by User
 Welding Aluminum

Regarding aluminum, I have a degree in industial technology with a strong welding background, tig is the best way to weld aluminum, because aluminum is a very very pure metal that reacts very poorly with contaminants, you can mig weld aluminum with a simple millermatic 210 with an aluminum spool gun, I would however advise at preheating the metal with a torch to about 800 degrees. YOU CAN ALSO WELD ALUMINUM WITH A STICK WELDER provided that you can preheat the metal to about 800 degrees, BOTH NEED TO BE COOLED SLOWLY though. It does take a little more amount of skill to stick weld aluminum, but if you are steady, have an idea of how the metals physical characteristics in the molten form react, you could easily do it with stick. IMHO if you want a wire welder, go with miller, if you want a stick welder go with linkon. If you want a tig, go with either, Miller has done alot to bring its company into a very competing market by offering square wave, high freq starts and what not. I personally have a miller bobcat 225 plus that is a gas driven generator/welder, and I power my millermatic 210 with it as well. I also can air arc with 3/16 air arc rod. I am very happy with my choice of machine. When it comes to welding, your experience and machines both hold great credit to what you want to do with it. I can weld pop cans together but that doesnt have much use on the farm.
best regards, Patrick Webb

01-29-2006, 21:53 Post: 123743
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Welding Aluminum

JD,

My primary desire is to weld some 1/8" x 1.5" aluminum angle for framing. Certainly nothing outrageous, especially to start with. That is why, I figure if I could weld it with a stick (first) to get my feet wet, then I could always move up and find a TIG system at my leisure.

I really do not have any aspirations to go into any sort of business practice with it, merely my own edification of being able to do it, and the various projects that I have in mind.

As far as the info that I posted on the previous thread, I found that in the course of researching the topic prior to posting the question. It was actually a directly from Lincoln Electric, on their website, (click on the link below).

Again, any advice is certainly welcome. Thanks

Patrick,
Thanks for the info as well. I do appreciate it.

- Willie H

Link:   Click Here 

01-30-2006, 06:47 Post: 123756
jdcman

Filter by User
 Welding Aluminum

Hey Willie,

Yeah I agree, it’s always wise to see if you can make the equipment at hand do the job. Sounds like Patrick will be a good source for your arc welding questions on aluminum.

I have a couple of tips, most likely stuff you’ve already run across:

1) Cleanliness is very important when it comes to welding Aluminum. Remember that aluminum oxide has a higher melting point than the base material. My basic process is to take a stainless steel brush to the pieces being welded and then wipe them down with acetone. I’ve heard of folks who are concerned re the possiblity of stainless contamination and prefer scotch pads. I haven’t had trouble with the stainless contamination, but have run into sever oxide problems, particularly trouble some on thinner material. Perhaps the Al stick electrodes will have a flux included that makes this a non-issue.

2) Try and identify the alloy that you’re working with. I had the experience of going to one of Boeing’s “country” stores and bought a bunch of unmarked material. Well unfortunately for me it wasn’t a “weldable” alloy … what a mess. It was truly a live and learn process.

After I responded to your prior message it got me to rethinking your statements re the dilution of the mechanical properties for the various alloys as a result of the welding process. And yes I agree, if you’re considering building structural “stuff”, with any significant loading, you need to pick alloys that can be heat treated and brought back as close as possible to the original strength specifications.

Good luck, have fun.

jdc

01-30-2006, 09:14 Post: 123769
hick11h1369

Filter by User
 Welding Aluminum

Hello again, this is Patrick, I have to agree with the alluminum being as clean as possible. After reading more of the posts, and seeing a little more detail in what your working with, ie 6061 alluminum and the thickness that you are welding, ie. .125 or 1/8" I think that you will find it difficult to weld that with stick. I do have a strong welding background, it is what kept me fed before I got hired into fords, but I have done some welding of alluminum with stick, but it was always thicker material, most of my alluminum experience comes from either tigging the materail or wire welding it. Both of those processes are "cleaner" than stick welding it, but you are right, tig welding is sounding like the way to go, but the tig process is not the fastest. If you do wire weld it, I do suggest preheating it. But, with the thickness only being 1/8" I would suggest getting the thinnest wire, .30 or smaller. Your gas selection is correct, straight argon has worked for me well. Helium you do get a "hotter" weld because of the shielding gas but I do suggest as well to "practice on scrap" to see if it will give you what you want. Also, when you wire weld, you will have to use a "spray transfer" which means when you are looking at the wire going into the puddle, it will be a sharp point, like a center punch or a pencil. The comment above about getting a machine larger than what you think you need is so so so correct, and it applies to everything from tractors to hammers. Bigger all too often is alway better. Not always, but when it comes to tools, dont cut your self short by saving a few bucks. I guess what I mean is I have the Miller bobcat, it cost me 1500. I did get a hell of a deal on it, it only had 19 hrs on it when I got it, normally they are around 2500 new. I am looking to trade that one in or get a new one, basicly the big Miller 400 amp welder, because I do do alot of air arcing and the 225 bobcat, even though it is load tested to 300 amp just works too hard even with a 3/16 carbon rod. The same goes for the millermatic 210, this is a great little machine in the fact that you can buy the spool gun to do alluminum with it and have both guns hooked up and both gas bottles hooked up and the brain in the machine tells the right valve to open when ever you pic up a gun to use. It is an awsome "little machine" and for the spool gun and the machine, I paid only about 1800 for them both brand new, and if you choose this machine, check the prices on ebay before you buy because the welding shops will take advantage of peoples ignorance. The only down fall in this machine was my ignorance, I wanted a machine that would give me spray tranfer while using regular steel mig wire, it takes 27 volts to do this and this machine will only give me around 24. It was my fault, I did not research this enough before I bought. I knew what I wanted and assumed that all machines would give it to me since this one was rated at 210 amps. As far as weling around the farm and even the welding I do, this machine is a very good choice, it will give short circuit and globular transfer and very nice looking welds and is a great machine for its size. In closing, if you have alot of alluminum welding to do, you might want to invest that money for the right machine, if you have three phase elctric where you are at, you can get more machine for your buck since they sell fairly cheap, and of course, you will have a service to offer others and the machine could pay for itself, I know I needed these machines on my farm and they have paid for themselves several times over in work that I have done here and for others. Best of luck,
Patrick Webb

01-30-2006, 12:54 Post: 123779
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Welding Aluminum

Patrick,
Without question, the concept of overkill rather than underkill applies in my book as well. I would much rather have a machine/tool built for haevier duty than I plan to expose it too, rather than have it break, burn up or worse yet injure someone because it was too light of duty for the task at hand.

My real concern was, why reinvent the wheel and have redundant pieces of equipment kicking around the shop, if I did not need too. Not only from a space standpoint, however cost as well.

Like I pointed out earlier, this is not a business venture that I am embarking on, rather a curiousity/fart around satisfier with some hobby projects that have been eating at me to get done. I guess I will keep an eye out for something used that is still decent (maybe at auction) in the line of a TIG, as opposed to dishing out big bucks for something that will probably see more darkness than light, however your points of doing jobs for people are very well taken.

I'll figure something out...in the meantime, I'll keep looking. Once I do come up with something, I'll be sure to repost.
Thanks again guys for all the input...

-Willie H

01-30-2006, 23:04 Post: 123837
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Welding Aluminum

Patrick -

With all this info floating around, I almost forgot the stem question...given two plain jane pieces of AL, can I use an AC welder to weld the two together or MUST it be DC?

This seems to be a stumbling block in my mind, as I have heard conflicting stories. (Just in general, forget MIG,TIG,ARC, for a moment)

Then under the pretense that I can weld AL with AC, is it the gas "masking" that enables a proper contaminant free fusion? And thus, would not be acquirable
with a plain stick weld, right?

Maybe once I get beyond this hurdle, EVERYTHING will be as clear as ... and I can make a decision

Thanks for your patience-

-Willie H

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Welding Forum

Thread 123646 Filter by Poster:
bluefishbeagle 1 | hick11h1369 6 | jdcman 6 | WillieH 10 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
Coachlarry

Tractor Engine Repair Rebuild - Yanmar Fuel pump or primer bulb
Yanmar Fuel pump or primer bulb

Unanswered Questions

Shibaura SD2203 rear axle oil
Mitsubishi MX55
Gator HPX ignition module
SL 1643
Removing LHS rear wheel beari
Gear Grinding 1200A - primary
Replacing a friction diskwashe
Bolens k1502 mitsubishi K3 ove

Active Subjects

Where Murf
Big country 4x2 utility vehicl
Operation
lift cylinder for 3pt hitch wo
Still have jerk in hydro
Flatulent gifts human and dog
front mount snowblower
Hydraulics Won t Work

Hot Topics

NorTrac Tractor Quality Review
Case 446 hydraulic pump
Long 460 hydraulic problem
Jinma Tractor w transmission p
Flatulent gifts human and dog
Generator set up ideas wanted
6X4 Gator Sometimes Shudders
Roof VP75 Brush Mower Manual

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Bent Front End Loader From Bucket Hooks
+ Portable welder generator runs but no power or wel
+ Plasma Cutters
+ Buying a dead Hypertherm 600
+ Twentieth Century mfg welder search
+ Learning to weld
+ Clark 110 V Arc Welder
+ Is it ever to late
+ Chicago Electric Plasma cutter