Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Truck

View my Photos
Glenn Fitzgerald
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-04          52595

I'm considering purchasing a new pickup truck. I would use the vehicle to drive to our property(about 150mi round trip)on weekends,for hunting,firewood hauling,general work and would like to pull a dual axle trailor. I want to haul my 790/FEL down to the property at times.I'm leaning towards a four-wheel drive but are thinking of all the additional moving parts that will have to be maintained and the gas mileage difference. Would a half ton be sufficient for an occassional tow or is a three quarter ton required? I don't want to start a war but what do you like or don't like about Fords or Chevies or Dodges? I have an F150 short box with standard transmission currently, but the first gear is much too high for doing work.Other than the gearing, the Ford truck has been A-1 so far.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New Truck

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-04          52597

I think you'd love a 4WD. Check out the Silverado Z71. It comes ready for towing, transmission cooler, extra large breather, heavy duty shocks and you can get the 5.3 liter engine as an option. It has plenty of torque to tow your tractor plus some. As far as added maintenance goes on 4WD, it's no big deal and today’s 4WDs are a lot better than days gone by. The gas mileage should be around 18 to 20 miles per gallon (highway, not towing). That's not bad for 285 HP.

I'm not knocking any brand here. It's just my preference

Good luck
Billy

New Truck

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-05          52602

I think that if a load actually needs a tandem axle trailer, a highway 1/2-ton as a tow vehicle is going to be wanting. Of course, whether trips are comfortable or not depends on speeds traveled and grades encountered. I have a highway '89 F150 3sp auto/302 engine and a single axle trailer w/o brakes. With the trailer axle and the weight, the payload is about 1,800 lbs. That's about all I want to do at highway speeds and significant grades.

In addition, I think I have the heaviest hitch recommended for my 150 and it has a tongue-weight spec of 500 lbs. Figuring 15% of load for the tongue weight means that I'd start running into receiver limitations at just over 3,000 lbs. irrespective of tow package of engine. There also are combined vehicle/towed weight ratings in some areas that may present other limitations.

I think that factory tow packages are available for 2wd 1/2-tons but 4wd's tend to have most of the package anyway. In figuring the payload required , I'd keep in mind that the factory weight spec doesn't include the weight of loader, fuel, or ballast. At least one 3ph implements probably would be carried as well.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login